Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Make this aquired! Garage Find - '33 Ford 3 Window Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever18, Nov 27, 2009.

1. bonesy

bonesy

Good luck, I really hope you get it.

4ever18 likes this.
  2. thequietwon

thequietwon

Wow...
    I'm envious as hell...apparently in my own backyard, too!! Good luck...
    sam

4ever18 likes this.
  3. this year keeps getting more interesting all the time. how many people sell cars after 32 years (and lets rule out health) unless the economy is taking a huge shit namely a 33' ford this sweet. as cool as it is this really makes it hard to stay focused on old tin. don't mean to rain on anyones parade with my observations just putting it out there thats all.

4ever18 likes this.
  4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Some day I hope to run across a willys coupe like that....ok even one that is rotted to shit and only a shell....and hopefully I can get it for under $30 grand!!! That coupe looks sweet as hell. I hope you can swing a deal and get it out in the world again. Keep us posted.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Sam, You have already SCORED a 3W ... :)

As for the 33 3W ... that would be my favorite car to own ... beside a 32 Ford :D

HOPE YOU GET IT !

4ever18 likes this.
  6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I know where it is too... So don't jack around or it will be sitting in Ooltewah.

Just kidding... Good luck.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

4ever18 likes this.
  7. 4ever18

4ever18

The owner is 70+ years old and has no children. I didn't ask to purchase the car... I asked to be it's next "caretaker". The next time I go to see the gentleman, I'm going to take along my son-in-law and grandson and introduce them as the car's next two owners ( after me, of course). It's amazing to find cars such as this still sitting in a basement/garage/barn.

Regarding honesty in pricing the car, thank you for the kind remarks & wishes. You do the right thing for yourself - this way you can hold your head up and look anyone in the eye.

Who knows???? He may decide to hang on to it or price it beyond my reach. Either way, I enjoyed meeting the owner and checking out the car. Now, it'll be interesting to see if I'm able to sleep tonight. ;-) What a car!

8. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

Yep. $35000 is good money for it, $40000 would be a push.

4ever18 likes this.
  9. Grumpydan

Grumpydan

Ditch the two novas and get it....then I can get the '57 drag car....Josh can go play with his truck and the A bone.....lol.....yes guys I'm his neighbor and I hate him too sometimes.....

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Very nice .....good luck and thank you for not asking us what its worth. :rolleyes:

clem and 4ever18 like this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Jeez, what a find.
    If you do end up with it...it'll be as if YOU were purchasing it from the original owner in 1970.

4ever18 likes this.
  12. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Wow what a find , just wish mine was that good when I found it.Keep us posted.

4ever18 likes this.
  13. Weasel

Weasel

$40000 would be a push? Really? Even in today's economy I would think that $40k is a very fair price for that car - try pricing out a SAR 3 window (they do not make a 1933 - only a 1934) and you'll pay a lot more than $40k for a complete car less engine and trans - and at the end of the day it's still a fake.... but you pays your money and you takes your choice.

4ever18 likes this.
  14. 4ever18

4ever18

I thought that I'd share an update on this situation with y'all. I talk with the owner a few times through out each year. Since my initial visit, he has spent quite a bit of time sitting in the car and remembering....

He doesn't have any plans to sell the car, but his wife has instructions to contact me first before offering anyone else a chance to purchase the car. He has been watching Barrett-Jackson and has attended a local swapmeet, but hopefully won't allow this to cause him to set a price beyond my means. He likes the idea that I don't have any plans to drastically modify the car. It has '40 Ford brakes on it now. He indicated that he thought that it would be a good idea to upgrade the braking system with disc brakes. I suggested early F100 brakes on the front and just changing to a dual stage master cylinder (adapted to the current clutch & brake pedal system). I think that he appreciated my suggestion as being one that would be more in keeping the car closer to it's current condition. I told him that I'd be reluctant to even drive the car in heavy traffic conditions and that this braking system would be more than sufficient.

I'm glad that my visit and excitement for the car has rekindled his interest and appreciation for the car. Prior to my initial visit, the car had collected some dust on it (he had just wiped the car down, prior to my visit). He tells me that he now keeps the car wiped down and enjoys looking at it and sometimes just sitting in the car. I'm glad that he is enjoying the car while I'm preparring for the chance to purchase it, when the time comes. Hopefully, he'll decide to offer it to me rather than it being offered after he has passed on. I'd rather purchase it from him, than purchase it from the estate. This is the very reason that I plan to give my '69 Camaro to my daughter & son-in-law while I'm alive, rather than have them inherit it upon my death. I want that occasion to be a happy memory, rather than a sad one, for them. I've owned the Camaro for more than 40 years and still enjoy looking at it, sitting in it and remembering, and of course driving it. I fully appreciate the '33 Ford owner's affection for his car. I look forward to being it's next caretaker, if I can afford it when the time comes.

15. Patience ................

4ever18 likes this.
  16. 4ever18

4ever18

After a little more than 8 years, an update will be coming soon.

pat59, scotts52, 47chevycoupe and 2 others like this.
  17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Tease....lol

4ever18 likes this.
  18. I think that if you keep in contact , there will be a time when the owner realizes that he will never really do anything with it. I would let the owner know that when you get the car road worthy , that you will stop by occasionally and take him for a ride. I have done that in the past and many times the owner does cut loose with the car and sell it at a fair price.
    Good luck. Would like to find one like that.
    Vic

4ever18 likes this.
  19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have it from an emotionally shaking source that he will be picking up a beautiful
    1933 three window................. TOMMOROW .... remember to take your blood pressure pills buddy...

slim38 and 4ever18 like this.
  20. 4ever18

4ever18

I first learned of this car back in 2009. It was in the Asheville, NC area, owned my Mr. Penley.

Mr Penley & I have kept in contact over the years. The 48 year old lacquer paint still looks good. The car has never had rust or even a door ding. The car has always been garage kept, since new.

I’m so happy that I’ll not sleep for a while. This is one of those stories that I’ve heard, which always happens to someone else. Please share my joy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    pat59, j hansen, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  21. 4ever18

4ever18

Got it, today!

pat59, lilmann, seadog and 3 others like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Wowsa. Good for you!

4ever18 likes this.
  23. 4ever18

4ever18

Attached Files:

harpo1313 and Hamtown Al like this.
  24. 4ever18

4ever18

25. 4ever18

4ever18

26. clem

clem

Beautiful car, be nice to leave it as it is, - but it’s your car.

Hope that when you get it going you will go back and take the previous owner for a drive!

4ever18 likes this.
  27. Nobey

Nobey

What a dream come true, and Donnie sure looks like a nice old guy....

4ever18 likes this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Those are the kind of stories that tug at your heartstrings. Congratulations on a great purchase Mr, caretaker!! Great car. Lippy:cool:

4ever18 likes this.
  29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Congrats, what a tremendous find!

4ever18 likes this.
  30. 4ever18

4ever18

It gets the fuel, brake, cooling, & electrical systems rebuilt, new tires, and cleaned. After that, it’s time to ride.

pat59, HunterYJ, Pinstriper40 and 3 others like this.