Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Magnets thoughts on Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 12, 2008.

1. As usual, the show kicked all forms of ass. You guys should be proud. I guess you need to change the name to the "Thousand car pileup". As far as the hot whether, it just made the ice cold beer that much better.:D

2. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone that came to the show. Spectators, hot rodders, custom guys, volunteers, everyone. Like Magnet said, without all of you, the show would not happen. And in turn, we wouldn't be able to help out charities that do so much good or help keep history alive! With so many people, one would have to wonder how a that busy of a show could go on without really any incidents. I mean, think about it. Cars, beer, a HUGE crowd. And no fights, no drunk & disorderly events, no accidents, and only five people that needed the service of the ambulance crew. Wow. That just goes to show the sort of folks that show up at this show.

As for the IFS hot rod that I heard about, and the billet wheel Shoebox Ford, it was already pointed out that the slithered in AFTER the gates went unmanned. 3pm is about the time that we all agree it's no longer important to "guard" the gates. And what happened with the billet wheel Shoebox is something that happens every year. And it's unfortunate. What I've been asking myself all day today, is what type of tool watches to see if when the gate is unmanned, walks out into that sea of a parking lot to locate their car, and then drives into the show that they were rejected from earlier in the day? Holy Looser people! I was on the gate at the end of the day around 6pm thanking people as they left. I didn't get to thank everyone (some cars were just too loud. Which is WAY COOL.) But one I didn't say anything to was that tool in the billet wheeled Shoebox. And the look on his face was like "see, I got in any way." Wow. Talk about someone NEEDING acceptance. Just wow.

I was talking to the guys from the Suedes, and they reported the same shit happens EVERY YEAR at Back To The 50's. Some tool at the end of the day runs out to the lot to retrieve his Gamaro-stang-ova and cruises the show. I guess that's just par for the course. Perhaps next year we'll elect to have someone on the gate right until the bitter end if that's what the masses want. But normally we don't man the gate after 3pm because we feel there is a point where you just say, "ok, let's just all go and enjoy the show."

If you're out there, somewhere on the net, reading this Mr. IFS open-wheel hot rod, or Mr. Billet Wheel Shoebox Ford, there's a reason you're not playing football any more. It's the same reason the "nerds" and "geeks" and the "looser with the old car" didn't want to talk to you at your high school reunion. And you still don't get it.

To everyone else, THANK YOU!!!

And Magnet, I'm with you brother. Everyday is a Crusade to educate the masses about 'rat rod" ignorance. I educated two today at the Lyons Swap. :D

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

umm,,,, you avoided me just so you didn't have to buy the beer right????:rolleyes::D

pileup rules! met alot of new hambers this yr! and, i kinna remember about 3 of them! :D:D ill try not to drink so much the next.....ohh hell, who am i kidding!
    got a lil food poisoning on the way home today, so, ill try and sleep it off and then start in on my post! post whore that i am and all!;)

thanks czars!
    ohh, and next yr, im bringin my monte on 24 inch dubs>!!!! :D
    dammit, one last thing, them imma go hork again!
    if you dont think your car is worthy, then pm one of the czars with a pic! if you cant figure out how to do so, then maybe you shouldnt be drivin to begin with!
    fuck im tired of babys!:rolleyes:

4. well just getting home after driving 12 hours I had alot of time to think about what to say and all I can come up with is the 24 hour round trip drive for a one day show is worth every penny spent. The people that show up to the show are cool they accept you even if they dont know you. monsterflake hooked me up with first room for friday night and gina and mark hooked us up for the second night we did have our tents ready just in case. tom being sick like I was last year and still going.we had alot of fun with those crazy guys and gal from indy (Dont worry mike that picture came out excellent).denise had some tasty cookies thank you denise and DW was great to see up on stage at the red cent.And the kid with the abomination henry j was the luckiest kid in the world keep up the pinstriping. that pink caddy shooting the awesome flames. Mr . metal (ha ha)justin with his new flake job awesome job.all the hamb people to many to list all I can say we had a blast and cant wait til next year to do it again and maybe next year some more of the east coast wont be sissy's and join us for your show HOT ROD ED
    road rats ny
    OH yeah I also went on to the BEAN field but I was the one who the security guy yelled at so dont chop down the field next year and make it a 2 day show guys

Attached Files:

5. Lucky77

Lucky77

I just want to thank the Czars, support clubs and volunteers who make this show happen. This was my third Pileup but the first with my car. I wait for this show all year long, it's hands down the best one going. The new pre/post party locale was PERFECT! What a great setup. The bands were awesome, weather was unbelievable, food and vendors were great, I got to see friends from all over the country, and some of the best hot rods and customs anywhere. What more could you ask for?

So thank you guys so much for all that you do. I already can't wait for next year!

Attached Files:

6. Tradrod51

Tradrod51

Thanks!! Had a great time again this year.

Attached Files:

7. Hey CZARS,
    What a great weekend. This was my first PILEUP and hopefully not my last. When I was first let on the grounds I could not beleive the shear number of volunteers. They all did a great job. The vendors were good, the food vendors were great and the swap meet was good also.
    I got to meet Magnet(although I couldn't remember his name, I'm getting old you know) when he asked me if I would move my old truck from the gate into the flame throwing gate. How any one could not do what he wanted done real quick would be a mystery to me(he is one big dude).
    Got my kiss(actually 3 from Denise0 but I am still pissed that I didn't make it over to the meet and greet(that age thing again).
    I drove almost 500 miles to your event by my self and won't hesitate to do it again. Your whole deal was GREAT.
    Later,
    Dick

8. ProTeal55

ProTeal55
    from Chicago

Big thanks goes out to all the clubs that made this show possibile.
    I and the rest of the Half Fast guys had a great time, and will def. be back again next year for sure.

9. Oh yea. I forgot to say some thing about the fact that there were no awardss. That was the neatest thing. No talk about who won what or my car was better than yours, just car people getting together with their hot rods and having fun for a day. By the way please don't stretch it to 2 days of show. It was great just the way it is!
    Later,
    Dick

10. Was a terrific Pileup this year and it was an honor to be part of of it and volunteer this year. I know the Bubba's and Swiss crews had a great time doing it and it was nice to give back. You can count us in for years to come. :)

11. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Awesome Pileup, the best yet! Missed the meet and greet (too busy talkin' and enjoyin' the free PBR). 10 to 20 degrees cooler and it would have been perfect. Already countin' down to next year.:cool:

12. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

This was my first time going and I also volunteered. I was the nerdy guy taking money at the South gate. I had a great time, got to see some great cars and would not consider missing it again. I did meet the HAMB meet and greet cause I was selling tires. Had a great time and hope to meet more of you later.

13. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to say in the last 6 years I have made it to the Pileup this was the year I enjoyed the most."Timmy P" and I decided to volunteer this year to give back something for all the fun we have had over that past years. It has become a gathering of friends and meeting of the greatest bunch of people in the world...gear heads.
    My son who has been at a few pileups said one of the things that impressed him the most was when he stood at the gate and watched the cars leave. He said there was a Chrome Czar at the gate all day meeting you as you come in and thanking everyone as they left. Now look at the number of people a gazzilion that my friends is a lot of thanku's.
    PS that car fire was "Lep's" merc sure glad it survived to be driven home.

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I was on limited time this show, so I didn't get to go over the cars like I would normally. I was running around shooting pictures and BSing when I could. There were quite a few 'clown cars' in line when I got there in the morning. They didn't look to be hacked together... but they didn't have any taste whatsoever.

How many tail lights does one car need?

How big and stupid does exhaust need to be?

Why does anything have to have the words "rat rod" on them?

(If you build your car to be a rat rod... chances are 99% of the people know its a stupid rat rad without you having to advertise it)

Most of those cars would have been so much easier on the eyes if they would lay off the rat rod mentality and not take building cars to cartoonish extremes.

But the other 99% of the show rocked! Meeting Keith Weesner was a highlight. Much more humble and quiet than I expected. :) I was telling my Uncle how famous he is and Mr Weesner looked a little embarassed

(as opposed to last year's celebrity artist who informed me his pinstripe prices were so high because he's famous)

Great show as always... just sorry I wasn't available to volunteer. Next year I'll volunteer twice.

15. voodoochili

voodoochili

Wow! Best Pile Up yet! It sure has come a long way since the Sycamore days. Our second year of volunteering and you can count on us again next year. Great to see old friends and make a few new ones. Thanks for putting on such a killer show! :D

16. boozoo

boozoo

Girlfriend and I braved varying ailments to hit the Pileup this year, and I gotta hand it to y'all. VERY impressive well run show. My first time at the Pileup, her first time at a "traditional" show. I wish we could have been able to come up Friday night and catch the party, but we still had a ball walking around the grounds and talking cars.

I've been to a LOT of the larger NSRA and GG shows over the years that weren't as slick as this one. The size is good, the vendors, and the bands.... even right down to you standing out there thanking drivers for attending - that's a damn nice touch right there.

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I don't think we could survive a 2-day Pileup!

Still on BABYWATCH™... Her actual due date is Thursday.

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

Right on, Magnet! Despite the huge crowds, hot weather, people who didn't get it, and people in general not following the rules, this was one of the most smooth-running shows we've had. The volunteers stepped up and did what they agreed to on time and really helped us look good. Of course, that wouldn't have happened without all the hard work Catherine put in. You have no idea how hard she worked for this show. Thank her when you see her.

Mike, thanks to you for overseeing everything, being the "go to" guy, and generally micromanaging and being a control freak . Your efforts kept everything running smoothly and pleasantly.

Eileen did a GREAT job organizing and running the t-shirts. Her and her crew were top notch!

Thanks to the Hangovers (their first full show ever), Hillbilly Idle, Knuckel Drager, The .357 String Band - we were their 3rd to last show on a 32 day tour and they were not used to being up by noon, but played a BLISTERING set of kickass bluegrass and drew a huge crowd- they will be back again, The Phantom Cruisers, the Stacks - who kept their groove even after the VK jumped the gun and started their show 30 minutes early, The Aquaholics - who filled in for the Pinks, and The Nevermores who rocked the house and earned several new fans Saturday night.

Thanks to the Red Cent for being the best damn bar we could hope for.

Thanks to the Morris police for ignoring Pileup antics for 4 years... but finally cracking down this year... with a velvet glove.

Thanks to the Sheriff's Department for jumping in to help with traffic control after the show... even though they didn't know the show was even happening. and having a ball doing it.

Thanks to all the vendors, especially the food vendors. I hear that several of them ran out of food and The Galewood Cookshack finally just gave up and started throwing food to the crowd!

Thanks to about half of the swap meet guys for once again being a thorn in my side and making me want to kill the swap again... but thanks to John and Dustin Cooper for handling it on Saturday for me before I lost my temper.

Thanks to TudorJeff and Glenn from Rebel Wire for handling the Pit area on Friday and Saturday moring. Seriously, when you need to wire your car, check out Rebel Wire - very nice kits at a really good price.

Finally, thanks to the Czar family for sticking together and making this happen!

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

Oh yeah, as for the rat rod and cartoonish crap... I was bitching about it to my wife and she said "aw, they're just having fun" and I guess that about sums it up. No need to get all worked up, even though we all know rusty junk isn't traditional.

Dickster - sorry, but I never even made within 50 yards of the vendor building all day. I ran back and forth between the gate and the bands all day. My wife finally stopped me and forced me to eat at 3... the first time all day. I'm sure she, the twins and I will see you again soon.

2 days?! Too much work! Besides, we have a big party on Friday, too... isn't that enough?! :D Actually, spreading it to 2 days would essentially exclude all the guys that have to drive through several states and still be back at work on Monday

I didn't hear too many complaints, but I just brush them off if they're not constructive. You can't please everyone... and as long as the HAMB crew is happy, I'm happy. I listened to some Australian guy bitch at me for about 15 minutes about how we were handling the gate. After I sifted through all his whining, he actually had a nugget of good advice which I'll try to use next year.

20. The volunteers ruled the school… 160 + stepped up to the plate. I always say that despite the size of the show.. the fact that this many people are willing to contribute to the cause… that’s what keeps the grassroots feeling of the show.

We hit the ground running with a plan… and sometimes that plan can go awry when things start changing… you guys are great at “winging it” and the Czars and I truly appreciate it.

I do want to thank the Chrome Czars for allowing me to be a part of this fantastic event. You boys are Midwes family indeed and my folks out east sleep easier at night knowing that I have y’all around. Special props to Magnet for being my brother from another mother. We work well together… even when we yell at each other…
    <O:p</O:p
    Queen Eileen&#8230; God Bless You. I wouldn&#8217;t want that job for anything in the world. Mrs. Lucky was a great help as well.
    <O:p</O:p
    JimBob did a great job announcing all day.

OldBobSign is a banner GOD.

Since I am typically known as &#8220;one of the guys&#8221; I&#8217;ve officially decided that my affinity for LouverDude should be classified as a man crush or in fact, a Bromance.

Shana aka BreedersWife&#8230; you are my lighthouse in the storm&#8230; You always seem to be around just when I need a sounding board.

We kept the ambulance busy. Hope everyone&#8217;s all right.

Traffic on 47 and spectator parking got real squirrely &#8211; next year we will see about getting a detail all day. And what was up with spectators blocking other folks in? I had to get real bitchy announcing cars that had to be moved.

The Red Cent&#8230; Best. Bar. Ever. Brian, Beemer and Cindy along with the rest of their staff stepped up to the plate in a huge way. They delivered on every single thing we asked for and more. They even ordered fancy wine for me and the Czars ladies&#8230; guess what ? Fancy wine = same hangover.

I think my favorite memory will have to be when some of the portapotties ran out of TP&#8230; BobK called Rashy&#8230; who went to the store and walked into the show in front of all those people, carrying three 24 packs of TP. Hilarious.

I had to work on Sunday and I don&#8217;t get a day off until the 24<SUP>th</SUP>&#8230; ugh. But it&#8217;s all worth it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  21. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I hear you about people not getting it. My shovel decided to humble it's owner when I was leaving the show and it took about 50 kicks to get her started. Some guys asked if I ever considered putting electric start on it. NO!No way,man! It started on 1 or 2 maybe 3 kicks the whole weekend, so it was just showing off for the crowd.

Oh yeah, another fantastic show! You guys, and girls, do a great job putting this on!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  22. Deadbird

Deadbird

Just another awesome Pileup. It's still hard for me to believe the Chrome Czars can pull this off every year. Keep it up guys. The show is as perfect as you could hope for. As for the bitching, be a duck. Let it roll off.

We had a blast!

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

I also wanted to thank Keith Weesner for being such a nice and honest guy. This was his second show and I was able to find him a vendor spot but I wasn't able to find him to squeeze the money out of him. He tracked Django down to make sure we got paid. Like we learned last year with the swap meet guys, if you give most people an out, they'll avoid paying up. Not Keith.

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

I keep forgetting people!

Thanks to JimBob for being the best announcer EVER with classics like "you need to move your bike or we're going to sell it for parts" and "To the owner of the blue Honda... first of all, buy American, second, move your car you're blocking someone in"

Not only were Jim's announcements on time, and funny, but he was around helping all day. Thanks, man.

25. josh77

josh77

I'm proud to have popped my "Pile Up" cherry this year. Awesome time and show. Thanks a million!!! Hands down the BEST show I've ever been to. And thanks for lettin' my german POS in.

26. i gotta sya that this was the best event i've been to. and i was nice to put a face to the name (or face to the car for that mater). working the gate was great see what came in and what didnt since seeing it all later was a bit imposible. and the hospitality shown by every one was awesome from bobk's help with the rooms and drew and marty(marty n sons) letting us kick arounf friday moring and the same with kevin at hot rod chassis in the after noon, the red cent friday nigh the brats n burgers were were killer as was the suprise lone star and knuckle drager.

thanks to every one and see ya next year

they wernt too bad but i dint go there anfter 2

27. Last year it WAS a cornfield:p

28. Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it
    Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it
    Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it

This is the first Pileu I have missed since Sycamore Rashy and PBRmeASAP were giving me updates all day.

Next year I can be on myh death bed again and will go anyway.

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

we missed you!

30. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

The Czars did a great job and I only got my toe nipped once taking money, Magnet did warn us, and no attitude from any of the attendees. As for the Rat Rod stuff, the guys deciding who came in and who didn't probably had the hardest job of the show. A few slipped by but I wouldn't want their job and I think they did as good a job as anyone could have done. I also saw the Simple T and the Krylon Special. I thought Bubba was the biggest celeb there.