Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Magneto Misfire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 9sectruck, Oct 30, 2017.

1. 9sectruck

9sectruck

I have a Vertex Mag in the blown small block in my Willys Gasser thats developed an erratic misfire, starts and runs fine once warmed up and revs smoothly in the pits but get it on the startline and launch on wide open throttle and it pops and bangs, if you get off the gas and accelerate gently then it is OK but as soon as you get back on it the misfire comes back!
    Any suggestions as to what it could be, I'm thinking possibly condenser but only guessing.
    Thanks in advance.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Contact Bubba at Bubbas Ignitions. 317-487-9460

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

will you have the same results if you disconnect the kill wire from the post, wire could be arcing with engine torque. Also have you done any (electronic type) welding on the car with the magneto still installed, welding messes them up. If it is not the first one then you have to send it in for service to get it sorted out

4. Danny G

Danny G

When the coil is going bad it will kill different cylinders

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

What plug gap are you using ?
    Carbureted with a Vertex I used .022"/.025" gap. Any more than that it, would misfire. And I had mine checked once a year faithfully back when Cirrillo (spl.?) was around.
    Supercharged, I'd start at about .015" gap and open from there until you get misfire, then back it down a couple of thousands.
    A standard type (or extended) type plug works best.

Mike