Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnesium wheels on the Fly.......would you paint em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 21, 2003.

1. SimonSez

SimonSez

Have you checked out http://www.finishing.com ??

They have quite a few posts on Magnesium finishing treatments. Some of them are quite techy, but your Dad might get something out of them.

2. hey root, my dad had a pair of polished 15X10 magnesium torque thrust mags, he polished them up, cleaned them with wax&grease remover and painted them with dupont clear. held up pretty well, sold the car after a couple of years, but the rims still looked good.

3. I think the upkeep on the polished magnesium has a lot to do with where you live... I hear the guys out in Arizina have it easy... out here, you have to polish them on a monthly basis... which ain' tbad...
    Also Root', did you get a chance to work out an "anti rotation" bar for the rear end yet?
    Sam.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I doubt I ever will worry about the anti-rotation bar. The worst thing that could happen would be that the car would just lose power. I have a double driveshaft loop on frt and rear so it would just stop moving. Plus if I ever shear all 4, 5/8" bolts and the 2 , 1/2" alignment pins, and the 1/4" saddles we have bigger problems. The bolts are 180,000 ksi shear bolts.

5. Do you have a pic of how it is fastened in there?
    Sam.