Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magic GM Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitysix, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

I am in need of some HAMB help. I have a 56' Buick with power steering. The box was leaking like a sieve. Found a guy that re-builds them http://www.powersteeringparts.com/ wants almost $400.00 to rebuild it. He wasn't very forth coming with info about the box as in models of cars that used it etc. so I bought the re-build (seals) kit and started getting after it. Yanked it out and found a bunch of JB weld all over it. I found the reason a cracked control valve.
    This box must be of the Unicorn or Bigfoot variety because I can't find out crap about it on the net. It is a Saginaw box with the number 5683956 on it. I have a picture of a fresh re-built one (the guy wanted $600.00 plus $250.00 core charge for it on ebay) posted below. Any help identifying it or a cross reference on what other GM cars used it would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Fitysix

Attached Files:

• Box2.jpg
      Box2.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
  2. butch27

butch27

Damn: I know it ain't no Corvair.

3. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

No it is not....it ain't no vega box either.
    Fitysix

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I'll check my Hollander's manual for interchangability with other units, should be same as Olds, Cadillac, possibly Poncho's.

5. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

I would appreciate that. I am sure that GM didn't make this box just for the 56' Buick but stranger things have happened. I do know that 56' Olds 88 had one like it but the high and low pressure lines were not on the control valve like mine.
    Thanks again d2 willys.
    Fitysix

6. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

Damn, and what really sucks is I hauled a 56 Roadmaster (what was left anyway) to the scrapper about a year ago, too bad it didn't die on you then! They don't look like any fun to pull off so I hope the one on my 55 stays alive!

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Think that is bad to pull, try a 54 Caddy and back with one piece steering, which did not have the steering coupling. You had to raise the car up a mile (lift time) to get that thing out. I said F it and put a rubber freeze plug in where the old one blew out. GM = generally muckedup!:D

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to my Hollander's, the '56 Buick PS box (5683940) was a one-year only for Buick. Doesn't mention 5683956.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

check out GOZTRIDER in the HAMB classifieds:

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Sent PM
    -Brad

11. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I'm pretty sure the box pictured is a match for the same era Cadillac which is available from several sources. I did a quick search and found a few(with pictures) for $150 plus a $50 core charge and they are rebuilt with a warranty. Other alternative is pulling one and oddly enough I know where to get that too.

12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I can tell you this. A 56 Cadillac and 56 Olds are not even close to the same.

13. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Guys...sorry for the late reply. I have been working in the garage on the Buick (marine division's idea of a boat). Thanks for all the replies.
    Piche582...yea that does suck because it was leaking then. Next one pull it because apparently it is made of gold.
    d2 willeys....I am starting to agree with your sentiment about GM. Have a manual box out of a 55 that is all one piece. Looks like it would be a bear to install. Besides having to change out the column and all. I had already been on the Gotzrider train. He had it listed on Ebay and I wasn't PC bound for the ending of the auction. Sucked!!!
    Brad54...I am always hoping you see my post. You aways seem to know what I am looking for or talking about. Got your PM will answer you shortly.
    Mr Grimes....my new found friend in Md. Please do tell as I must be internet illiterate and blind. give a brother a link LOL. Or pull it and come on down to the show on the 27th...I will buy ya dinner.
    T McG...You typed that like it came from experience.....the Olds one looks very close but as I stated the pressure lines do not come out of the control vlave and the mounting is not the same and.....well your right they ain't the same.
    Thanks again guys....what a wonderful place this is....indeed .....a wonderful place
    Fitysix

14. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Ohhhh damn...TagMan...dude didn't mean to forget ya there bud. I appreciate you looking that up. Maybe this box was a fix for another run afoul. That is the number on the box so maybe it was outta a Caddy i do know they are the same. I still think I should call Ripley's or something as these things are rarer than an honest lawyer (sorry in advance if your a lawyer).
    Fitysix

15. That steering box is called a Saginaw offset steering gear.
    They are notorious for leaking and binding up.
    To rebuild one is close to $800 or better if you need a bunch of unobtanium metal parts inside it.
    I went thru the same drill with my '53 Lincoln last winter which also uses the Saginaw offset box.
    I got lucky when a fellow H.A.M.B. member located me one over in West Virginia.
    It was a clean, dry, no loosness unit (not rebuilt) for about half the cost of rebuilding one.
    The labor to install it was huge!
    The unit is about the size of my snow blower and weighs in at 72 pounds.
    You need a lift and it's easiest to pull the front seat and bring it up and thru the passenger's compartment.
    It a nasty job, so call over your stongest buddys and fill the 'fridge with a weekend's worth of adult beverages to pull this one off.:rolleyes:

16. GaryM

GaryM

Fitysix
    there is a guy in town with a 56 Buford who got a newer GM box from these folks:
    http://corvettesteering.com/
    Perhaps they can tell you what it took to make it work. I am out of town till next week or I would call the guy myself to get the info. Let us know if it works out.
    Gary

17. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Thanks for the info Gary. I was attempting to keep from spending that kinda scratch. I have two in College and one in the wings. Money is abit tight. It looks like I may just have to bite the bullet if all these other avenues lead to dead ends. I am going to go peruse the link you sent and see what's happening there.
    Fitysix

18. GaryM

GaryM

Fitysix
    I talked to the guy who had the new box installed. I will send you a PM with the his phone info.
    Gary

19. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Cool....Thanks Gary
    Fitysix

20. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I confirmed where a few(8-10) are and if I pull it would be $50-$100. There are definitely enough to pick the one on best condition. Since I'm still hobbling my scavenger hunt wont be for another week or two(possibly more). Let me know if you want to go that route.