Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mag Subscription service BURNS to the Ground

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Just watched on the news that the Magazine Subscription service in Mt. Morris, IL cought fire and burned to the ground. They said nothing was salvagable. Not sure what mags were through there, but I'm pretty sure Garage mag was.

2. synthsis

synthsis

3. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

as Brittany Spears would say..."HUH?!"

4. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I believe that you are talking about Kable New/Kable Fulfillment Services... I used to work for a company that they bought... They just announced they were closing there Marion, OH offices...

5. 5window

5window

6. So, this is the offices where they make the mags? Print them? Sell them? Read them? I second the "huh?"

7. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

No... Magazines... the building that burned housed about $4 million worth of back issues of magazines... they are magazine fulfillment house...

8. So, does this mean that subscriptions and FUTURE issues and the companies that produce them were burned? Or just back issues, thus making our collections worth more? Don't get me wrong, any business with hard times totally sucks.

9. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Wish I knew more about it. The news was kinda vague. I only know that Garage is through there because that is the address on the subscription card

10. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Most likely it is just the warehouse that they house the back issues in... When I worked for the company, we kept at least a years worth of back issues from people that didn't receive them or ordered the back issues... current/future issues are sent from a mail house that attaches the labels to them... then what is left (back issues) are sent to a warehouse like the one that burned....

11. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

that COULD be bad for all the guys here who post on here that they subscribed to garage mag months and months ago ,but have never got their subscribtions...:eek:

12. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

That would be correct, cause I doubt they go back and print back issues...

13. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I just sent in for a sub last week, so I think that's no good for me.

14. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Current subs should be okay... they are not fulfilled out of this warehouse... only orders for back issues... or someone that calls customer services and complains they didn't receive last month's issues... The articles that I looked up said the warehouse contained back issues...

15. Ramblur

Ramblur

Damn! Looks like I might not see my #16 the way this reads.
    SNAFU with my sub re-up in Sept still not resolved. Been resisting
    the urge to put a bug in Stoners ear,but guess I'll give him a what-up
    now...

16. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

You might have a problem if the mag is fulfilled through them...

17. That building is in Oregon, Illinois and is a part of Kable news; used as their warehouse,...my brother has been working in that very building for the last three weeks. He said they had back issues as far back as 25 years old for some magazines.; but they handle a lot more than automotive mags.
    ... He said it was a total loss. Some guy on a forklift backed into a gas heater and the gas pipe broke off, which started the fire.
    ....he said black smoke was still rolling out of the building at 3:30 pm; the fire started around 9:30 am.
    ...the building was orig. used as a dairy. It was a cool old building.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Kable is the company that distributes our magazines where I work. Wow, that sucks that all those old issues are lost as well as an old building. I guess I can expect our subscribers to start calling soon.

19. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I didn't realize they kept them that far back, but it is a huge loss for all the companies involved... Kable and the magazines that they support... Fortunately, no one was hurt from what I have been able to gather...