Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mag gears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudpedal, Apr 9, 2007.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Does anyone know where I can buy or find a set of small 1:1 bevel gears that I could use to make a right angle mag drive with? Is there an auto part or anything else that you can think of that I could use the gears from to do this??

2. Try an old import rear differential for the side gears or spiders....

3. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

FYI, these are bevel gears:

Attached Files:

• 59.gif
      59.gif
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
  4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I had thought of that, but I think the size would be too large unless you know of a VERY small car I could rob the parts from... Do you think the ratio of the spider gears are 1:1? I have never noticed...

5. If you used both spiders they will be one to one being equal in dimension. How about the gears from a lawn tractor differential? They would be even smaller....although I would be concerned about wear and failure.

6. old beet

old beet

45 degree speedometer fitting. I used one on a 56 Merc to reverse rotation. They can be changed to rotate both ways.............OLDBEET

7. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Both are very good ideas! Thanks.

Any others???

8. alchemy

alchemy

Why 1:1? Are you doing a Barker type drive (two head units)?

Do you have any tractor/machinery junkyards out there? I bet a short walk in one would yield good results.

Edit: http://www.mcmaster.com/ go to catalog page 1014

9. Bobbin drives on industrial sewing machines are sometimes bevel gear arrangements.

10. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

See if you cand find an old wringer washing machine and look at the gears in the wringer some are 1 to 1 and some are not but it is worth looking. you can probably find one for free somewhere.
    Andy:D

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Some 1/8th scale nitro R/C cars have bevel gear differentials. Gears would be about the right size......you can even get aftermarket ones in titanium.......

12. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

Kinda like this?

Attached Files:

13. How big do they need to be? What about an angle grinder/cutoff tool?

14. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Some very good leads! That's why I love this place.

Thanks guys!

15. Ted H

Ted H

Try Boston Gear (bostongear.com) They have just about any kind of gear you could ever want. I go to a local bearing house/ power transmission supply who can help you order the correct gear (shaft size, pitch. ect )
    Ted

16. McMaster-Carr Has a decent selection.

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been thinking about doing this (making a right angle magneto drive) since I saw the Wico that the guy wouldn't put a price on at the Roundup. The first thing that popped into my head was maybe a bit too obvious? - 8BA cam and distributor gears. Easy to find and seem pretty easy to adapt.

Also saw in the little pages a mag mounted low by the oil pan and chain driven from the crank. And THAT combined with the memory of THIS spawned the idea of a tiny/thin gear box driven straight from the cam driving a mag mounted up where the generator should be. (or between the manifold and driver's side head if you happen to have a blower occupying former generator space.) Generator would be mounted low and driven from passenger water pump. Picture the gear box: A sandwich of plate, gear, plate. No more than an inch thick and three or four inches wide with a perfect radius at each end. A few tabs to fasten to the timing cover - and maybe a couple more to make use of the bolts that hold the cover on itself. Small, evenly spaced machine screws around the outside edge. Maybe a sight glass on the passemger side to check gear oil level? Both sides engine turned, of course.

I assumed flathead on this post.

18. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

If you want to mount it so that it can be driven by standard gears as Kevin is talking about use a cog belt (timing belt) drive, accurate, quiet, no back lash and cheap. I have ran several distributors on race engines with timing belts. If you want right angle then you will need bevel gears and Boston Gear , Martin Gear, also Berg Precision Mechanical Components and Stock Drive Products have some very precision bevel gears.

Rex

19. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

That's right Kev, flathead. I wanted to duplicate the mag drive on my old roadster. Shouldn't be too hard to do... I see that Mcmaster has just what I need...

[​IMG]

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

21. pitman

pitman

Rex hits the good players. I've used McMaster & MSC on a number of jobs. You pay a little more sometimes but they ship straightaway.