Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Made a little progress on the willys gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jul 23, 2017.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

Just got my parts from willys repro. Class act, came with hardware and are really nice parts.

Attached Files:

2. Grill and lights look great Jim.

JimSibley and loudbang like this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

Looks bad ass!

loudbang likes this.
  4. JimSibley

JimSibley

Put some parts on it, lettered it and made an old school roll bar. I'm thinking it's turning into a car.

Attached Files:

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

No, it's turning into a master piece.

Dog_Patch, loudbang and JimSibley like this.
  6. Hmmm. . . . I was a charter member of the West Coast Willys Club back in the day. But it was disbanded (actually absorbed into the Gasser Gossip club) 20 years ago. I thought Kevin Perry even went back to Australia. Did it start back up?

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  7. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1079.JPG The willys has been at the upholstry shop. Came home with a headliner and some carpet. Now it needs windows and a paint job.

8. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1364.JPG Windows are in and a tighter fitting roll bar, its on to paint. The side windows were something I had, from an old s/gas car. I will use them for patterns and do it up in glass.

9. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim,

Maybe I missed it, but what are the seats you are using?

loudbang likes this.
  10. JimSibley

JimSibley

I don't know what seats. They were in the back of a 37 chevy sedan. The owner removed them
    And I got them.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 1940Willys

1940Willys

The West Coast Willys Club is now the Mid America Willys Club and has been for some time. Their monthly news letter/ magazine is called 'The Gasser Magazine'. Their president is Ernest Mc Intyre (sorry if misspelled the name)

loudbang likes this.
  12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Thank you 1940willys,
    I will try to crawl out from under my rock for long enough to look these guys up. I'm kind of a shop hermit.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 33HEMI

33HEMI

14. JimSibley

JimSibley

I'm thinking I might need to sell the willys. My question is, should I finish it and ask big money, or let it go now for a little less?

loudbang likes this.
  15. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Why sell it? It's looking awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

Not sure yet, just might be to fund another project. Just kind of thinking out loud.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 1940 Willys
    The West Coast Willys Club is now the Mid America Willys Club and has been for some time. Their monthly news letter/ magazine is called 'The Gasser Magazine'. Their president is Ernest Mc Intyre (sorry if misspelled the name)

***Sorry to say but the West Coast Willys Club was NEVER the Mid America Willys Club...they are two different clubs...You are right, the president is Ernest McIntyre. He took it over from Barb & Greg Dummer, from Minnetonka Minnesota. Barb and Greg started the club. The name was picked this way...there was a Willys club mag. out east(called Willys World) run by Ron Ladley . It covered stockers, restored, and of course race cars, and streetrods, as well as Jeeps, and their relatives. (that was the first one) 1970's & 1980's Then the West Coast Willys Club started by Kiwi Keve out in California (I was a member of both) With one on both ends of the country we decided to name our club the Mid America Willys Club...to cover the many Willys owners in our area of the country (started about 1988-89) P.S. The magazine was then called the "Gasser Gosip", Ernest changed it to Gasser Magazine

loudbang, 33HEMI and elgringo71 like this.
  18. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1446.JPG Just a little update, metal work is done, filler work is done and it's finally in primer.

19. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

looking good.

loudbang likes this.
  20. It would be cool to see it in paint before you part with it. Just thinking out loud... :)

loudbang likes this.
  21. Really made progress, nice!

loudbang likes this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ford mid night Blue with a hint of Flake always looks good. faded memories.jpg

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  23. JimSibley

JimSibley

Kiwijeff,
    I am going to finish it before it goes up for sale. This has been a really big task and I kind of need to to see it through.

24. Jim, those of us here, who have followed this from the beginning sure know just how big a task it's been, and I'm grateful to have watched you reconstruct frankinwilly. :D
    It's great your going to finish it, anyone who missed the build should go play with the search button. :)

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. JimSibley

JimSibley

Thanks kiwijeff. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in paint.

loudbang likes this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1483.JPG The first round of block sanding came out really good. Now I'm going to pull the whole car apart and finish, paint the chassis before finishing the body up.

33HEMI, 41 coupe, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  27. I don't mind raw metal, it's alright, in fact it's a gas:D

28. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1492.JPG Well, now comes the fun stuff.
    I have driven the car, the body work is roughed out and the panels all fit fairly well. Now it is time to blow it all apart and finish strengthening the original willys chassis, build ladder bars, hide all of the wiring and paint the frame, running gear and bottem of the car.

29. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1526.JPG Blown apart, finish welding and boxing the front, cleaned it up and now we paint.

elgringo71 likes this.
  30. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am looking forward to seeing it painted