Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Made a deal for my dream car. '36 Ford 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Sep 18, 2016.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! Looking forward to following the build on this one, that 3Window is a lucky car having you for its caretaker. Hope you keep the '54 and finish it. Bob

cretin likes this.
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Great score !!!
    , a 1936 Ford part are scares & Pricey for good FoMoCo parts,
    Truck tin are not the same in that year ( front fender's or grill)
    Thanks for saving that car

cretin likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres my pic.
    DSCF0199[1].jpg

4. cretin

cretin

I'm in exactly the same boat! Except for the son part, maybe have to pass it on to the nephew instead!

Thank you so much Bob! I don't plan on getting rid of the '54. I plan on getting the T done, and the '54 back on the road, then I'll go from there.

Yea, I know, we have a '36 pickup already. I'm not excited about the prices of some stuff, haha.
    There are some pieces missing, but luckily most of what's missing I plan on modifying enough that I can just make the pieces. Same for a couple of the rusty areas. It's a lot of work, but I can use it as an opportunity to invest in myself and hone skills. My time is cheaper then me buying parts! Haha!

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Very KOOL ! It's GREAT to hear a dream come true and old style kustoms rule.

cretin likes this.
  6. cretin

cretin

Well, I have an update on the saga of the ’36.

I finally made the space for the car last weekend, and went to pick it up today.

I don’t have anything to tow a trailer with, nor a trailer. So, I had to rent Uhaul. They won’t let you tow with a pickup for some reason, so I had to get a box truck. Pick all that up nearby and head to the car. Load up the parts in the truck, and the car on the trailer. Then make way towards home. I picked up the car at my friends shop out in the Palm Springs area. My dad followed me in the car that we drove out there before picking up the truck and trailer.

Everything is going fine, until we hit our first bit of traffic. We slowed down significantly, but it wasn’t gridlock. I must have been going about 30mph or so. I hit a small bump, and afterward I look in my right sideview mirror, and although it’s a split second, it’s clear that I just saw my ’36 exit the freeway without me. Even though my dad was right behind me, we aren’t quite sure what happened. There was a lot of dirt in the car that would come out during bumps, but he said on that one a puff of dirt came out, and then the car just rolled off the trailer!

The car came off the trailer, veered left a little, then cut right through a couple lanes. It somehow threaded the needle between the cars, then knocked over a road sign, and came to rest at a chain link fence. Luckily we were at the speeds we were, and the location we were. There was plenty of room to pull the truck and trailer up and reload.

Upon inspection of the car, it seems that the rear ratchet straps broke, but we aren’t sure how the front came loose.

But we got it reloaded and made it home without any other major issue, although it was still a stressful hour and a half drive. So that’s the story so far, and I’ll get some photos of the carnage up real soon. True to ant car project, it’s already costing more time and money!

slv63 and The37Kid like this.
  7. Phew, I almost expected the car to be totalled, before I read all your post.
    I'm patiently waiting for the pics. :D

cretin likes this.
  8. uncle buck

uncle buck

You were very lucky that nobody was hurt or worse yet killed. Did You have only one tie down on each end? I always use 2 on each end even to go just a mile, and often have people tell me I over think myself. I have always figured I can never tie things down in too many ways for fear of something like that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wow, glad you and your dad and the car are alright. I'm guessing rented equipment may be at fault, not that that matters. Does the Coupe have a nick name yet? Bob

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

DOT here in Connecticut wants a tie down on every corner, and you attach to a wheel or axle. Tying to the chassis causes things to move and the straps can come undone. Bob

11. cretin

cretin

You're certainly right. The situation could have turned out much worse.
    I've never loaded a trailer with less then 4 tie downs. I had the two over the front tires that were part of the trailer (which I'll never trust again), and two on the rear axle in an "X". The rear straps snapped, which I was very surprised by, and I'm not real sure how the front wheels worked their way out.

I think more of the blame is in the rear straps I used. I bought them last week, and didn't think they would snap like they did.

No nickname yet, although this situation might spawn one.

slv63 likes this.
  12. The runaway coupe. ;)

slv63, Bandit Billy and cretin like this.
  13. uncle buck

uncle buck

I use to always tie in an X myself and was talking to a trucker at a rest area while checking my load one time and got in a conversation about how the car was tied down. He started explaining how I should re-tie it in a inline direction and why. The strength in the straps is designed in a straight pull and not cross ways and it really made sense and changed how I have tired down since. I nearly had a similar situation recently from a front fender on a 34 Ford phaeton without a grill attached bouncing up and down on the tie strap. At a stop there was 2-3" clearance but I noticed some wear on one of the front straps while checking my load. The tie bolt had torn and that was allowing one of the fenders to bounce up and down wearing against the strap. It was dark , about 3 degrees out and snowing and about 1500 miles into a 2500 mile trip home. I removed the fender , added another tie strap and thanked god we noticed it before it broke.

14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, glad you and the car made it back safely without something worse happening. I haven't had a problem using U-haul trailers with only the front straps, even going 3 hours one way. I'll have to rethink that in the future! Can you post some pictures because the one you posted in the beginning is just an x now. Good luck!

cretin likes this.
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

With a floor- keep that moisture OUT!

16. Congrats on getting it home safely. Sounds like a real "oh shit" moment.

Cross straps can be a problem. If one side fails then the vehicle can eventually slide a bit to the side that is left being pulled. Then that strap my simply fall of as it loosens.
    With straight pull back, if one fails, the other is still working.

Anywho, gotta see some pics!

cretin and uncle buck like this.
  17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a 35 3window in 92 , sold it to Gary Choppit , heard he passed recently ...

18. uncle buck

uncle buck

That was exactly what the truck driver had explained to me. Thank god nobody was hurt and hopefully we can all learn from this experience. Now cretin , let's move on to a great build ! We know you have the ability to do great work!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  19. cretin

cretin

I've never had an issue with a strap breaking or rubbing before, but the explanation makes sense. Something I'll rethink in the future. I've only ever done the X on the back, but it looks like I won't be doing that in the future. Even though I think the straps were to blame in this scenario. There was another one of those straps I added after it came off, and I stopped just to check everything again, and that strap was broken too. It was strapped straight.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  20. cretin

cretin

Here are the before and after photos.

It definitely added some work to my list.

IMG_7011.JPG IMG_7003.JPG IMG_7004.JPG IMG_7010.JPG IMG_7005.JPG

slv63 likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, it is a good thing the doors were off. Post a few "before" photos of the Packard that you helped turn into the GNRS winner. Reminds me of Saturday night stock races back in the 1960's Bob

banjeaux bob and cretin like this.
  22. Can't hit the like button on those pics.
    Guess you need a new chassis.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

How did an East Coast quality 3Window get to California? Bob

banjeaux bob and cretin like this.
  24. Hell of a way to shorten the wheel base.:rolleyes: Glad no one was hurt!

slv63 and cretin like this.
  25. cretin

cretin

I have a couple options to deal with the frame, not sure what direction I'll go yet.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is going to be a great build to follow. There was a poorly chopped '36 that was save about 6-8 years ago here on the HAMB, took a Tudor parts car to get started. Bob

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some motivation. Bob

upload_2017-5-14_22-12-22.png

hfh, slv63, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  28. uncle buck

uncle buck

That's crazy that that much damage was done to the frame. Definitely made a mess of it. Glad the doors and other parts were in the truck.

cretin likes this.
  29. You've got the skills to make it right. Move forward.

30. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

What a cool score and what a tragedy. At least no one was hurt and the roof didn't kink. If you title isn't tied to that frame, it will be as easy to replace the frame as anything else.