Register now to get rid of these ads!

Machine BUICK FINNED DRUMS Front & Rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50FORDSCALLOPED, Mar 4, 2013.

1. 50FORDSCALLOPED

50FORDSCALLOPED

Hey Folks...

I am looking for the Rodders Journal Article on how to machine Buick Drums for Ford Hubs by Steve Hendrickson.

I plan to use buick drums front and rear.

I appreciate the help!

2. it;s been a while since i read that , but i think it gives you all the details. are you looking for how to do it or someone to do it?

3. Which Rodders Journal?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not in Rodder's Journal that I'm aware of. Tech is not their gig. I do know that the best article I've seen was in Hot Rod Mechanix back in '95 or so. A little later hwen I have some time and can get back in my office I'll scan and post it.

5. i think it was Rodders Digest

6. Bart78

Bart78

Google it. There was something I saw online that was real good.

7. 50FORDSCALLOPED

50FORDSCALLOPED

Thanks for the help guys.

I am looking to do the machining myself for both front and rear.

I also need stud info etc.

I was told to seach for this article.

Any help you can provide would be awesome!

8. 31CHEVY

31CHEVY

I have done front drums. I followed a how to in a Tex Smith book on how to build a hot rod chassie

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

July 1996 Hot Rod Mechanix. The article is by Ron Ceridono before he switched over to Street Rodder. It's the best I've found on the subject. They suggest NAPA 640-1070 studs, but that's kinda immaterial - what ever will fit and has the roght thread is what you need. It also has info on which hubs and such to use. As I said earlier, later today when I get into mu office I will scan and print it so it's here for posterity. Unfortunately my office is also our guest room and my "other mother in law" (long story!) has all of her crap strewn about like a teenager right now in there. As soon as she is on the plane for Hong Kong tonight I'll get it scanned.

Foer the record, Hendrickson did do an article when Rodder's Digest was still under Burger's domain, and it was good - just not as complete as this one.

10. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

I got my hubs from Thompson brothers already "Wilson Welding" set up. I did however run into a problem with the outer lip on my juice backing plates. We had to have a groove cut on the outer ring of the drums to fit this lip. Is that what you're talking about?

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

There is a fellow on here that makes bearing adaptors so you can use the B drum and hub..Some work on the B backing plate and that will fit the Ford spindle with a spacer; maybe a search will turn him up {or he will chime in]..I have a set from him here for a bolt pattern change, I'll ask the fellow thats owns them when I talk to him..

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

As promised earlier... Just click on them and they'll get big enough to read.

Attached Files:

13. brady1929

brady1929

14. 50FORDSCALLOPED

50FORDSCALLOPED

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have them on my ford 9" axle. I found some rear backing plates from a '60 buick, and adapted them to the ford housing. The brake off sets are different from ford to buick, buick being 1 7/8 and ford 2 1/4. So, the local machine shop machined the bearing mounting surface .375 towards the axle flange, moving the axle into the buick specs. Buick brake hardware, and a hub centric ring to fit between the drum and ford axle.