Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lube up your orCA Betties and grab your Galoshes! its the MONTHLY BANGER MEETING!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Nov 30, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHat is up...I know something is going on out there...

Well some nice person took my idea to run a Plymouth flathead 4 banger at bonneville or somewhere in the V4F class...and like i figured it kicked ass!!! So does anyone have any info on this going mill (i saw it over on the Hop UP site):

COMIN’ TO PLAY

It’s the off season for racing but the on season for preparation. We just heard about another probable entry in the V4F class, this from Hop Up Guys in Colorado...an’ ..... beware...they ain’t rookies at this Bonneville shit and they’re likely to ramp up their ‘learning curve’ purty steep. Glad they don’t take yer chonies away from ya once ya got ‘em.

An’ this here seems wrong for all the reasons, but here, right frickin’ here in T ‘n A, where we tell all we know about Hunnert Mile Per Hour Club stuff...an’ our good ol’ Fords, of course.....we gotta print a pic of the MOPAR that beats most of us hands down........ I guess livin’ a right good clean life just ain’t enough somedamntimes, is it?????

[​IMG]

so while the rest of the HAMB is embroiled in thier lust of "Doozes" we all know real men only need 4 holes and '32 was shitty year.

2. redbeard

redbeard

hey furbicuit,

I have some good news,
    the new job has a machine shop full of tools, welding tables and

A 23-25 T roadster, mid restoration, on top of the office.
    of course I asked about it, and they said

oh the last guy who owned the place left that here.......... hahahaa

so there may be a t in the luckybastards stable. the motor turns free
    the whole chassis looks restored, they were doing work on the body.

and I have a warford after all, so the parts are coming together for

dare I think speedster?

see you at the 23 club?

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hell...December already! Better get some shopping done. Urgh...

Right. Bangers. I reckon I'll probably have something interesting to contribute in January or February but at the moment, all I have to say is that my coupe is in bits. The rear axle is out and on the floor, the banger itself is totally stripped and currently at the machinists and strange things are afoot with a mid-'60's transmission. Hmm.
    I did find out while I've had a horrid oil leak from the rear main for the last two years. The 'Burtz' seal hadn't been fitted to the crank correctly and had a pinch inside the main cap, thus allowing copious amounts of the black stuff to piss out spoiling three clutches in two year. If you don't know, the Burtz seal is a modern neoprene seal that replaces the oil slinger on the rear of the crank. They are meant to be very good at preventing leakage but have to be fitted correctly first. :rolleyes:

I think we have our catchline for the HAMB four-banger club.......

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

only 1 t speedster in the stable...

see you tomorrow night, i may be chasing senor j ripper down.

congrats on the find, i look forward to hearing all about it.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm looking into a 41 ford 4 banger
    bruce lancaster and I have been talking about it
    not sure if it'll have enough power in anything more then a midget though

stock its 119.5 and about 17hp

does anyone have any experience with these motors?

my poor little 4 banger car is hibernating for the winter due to space limitations and making money :(
    Zach

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The problem is what to put it in...normal early Ford tech is too damn heavy, just as with V8 60's...flyweight Model T?? Austin? Bugatti? MG?? Schwinn?

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

maybe i'll just put it in one of these belly tanks, title it as a model-T and head for the highway
    might be able to get close to 1000lbs?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What are the specs on these engines? I wonder if the crank is just a destroked/ debored A crank...maybe you could drop it in an A banger and rev the crap out of it...maybe not, probably not enough port area to allow that kind of revs.

either way lets hear more.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This is the N series Ford, used mostly in the small '39-53 tractors, but installed in a few commercials about 1941 as well. Everything is smaller than A, pistons and valve gear are 239 Merc parts. I believe a few were raced as midgets at one time. Car version was rated at 22HP, I think...imagine having V8 60 station wagons, Austins, and Crosleys honking at you for holding up traffic!

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds fairly useless then. what would be the point of running it? other than a possible "awe its so little" factor it takes enough to make a T or A mill get out of its own way why hamstring yourself even further?

it could get worse...2cv drivers could start honking at you...

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It has exactly the same appeal as a V8-60...really neat little mill, but how do you apply it without overloading it?? Two litres...hmmm...big-block for an Anglia??

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Little bangers need love too....

I used to run a 100E Anglia with a teeny flathead 4. Just 1172cc but loads of fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a lumpy cam with big valves in it, twin SU carbs, raised the CR, relieved the block and knocked over three seconds off my quarter mile time!

[​IMG]
    That's my coupe in the background, couple of days after I bought it. Nice paint, eh?

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i guess you are right, i have always lusted over an Austin 7 Ulster TT rep...

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

MoPar ALWAYS had the BEST engines..........

16. Its hotting up again with Artiki playing catch up over the winter, so this was state of play for me last week...

[​IMG]

...and this week!

[​IMG]

New speed parts...

[​IMG]

Heres a back to back comparison of my previous Dan Price manifold and my "special". A considerable difference in size.

[​IMG]

17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hmm...not sure about that. A roadster isn't really in the same race class as a coupe ;), so I'm just making trying to make sure I can stay ahead of Neil and any other coupes that come along. :p

Nice looking cam...Scalded Dog?

18. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I picked up a progressive weber carb for $50 (32/36mm) and plan to fab my own intake manifold to adapt it to my model A later. I have a winfield manifold but I had no clue how hard it would be to find a winfield carb for it.
    I had a bad disc removed from my neck last week so it'll be months before the wrenching starts again. Nice to hear about everyone's progress. Cheers.

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

progress!!!

what are the specs on the cam?

20. The cam is a Winfield/Brierley 1A grind.

285 duration .362 lift.

Dan McEachern striaght cut timimg gears.

21. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Excellent. I've been thinking of one of those 1A grinds so I'll wait and see what yours is like.
    Nice gears, too. They'll take your mind off the howl that comes from the quickie!

Finally getting those valves fitted as well, are ya?

22. TV

TV

Getting back to the plymouth 4 Banger, Its not as hard to make them go, as it is a ford. Also I think they have 5 main bearings. The guy that runs at BV is a sharp guy and has been ahead of most of us from the start. I know he is running mech fuel injection. I have talked to him and hes a cool dude. We should get him on the Hamb.--TV

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are great Mills and they are completely over looked, which is why I wanted to use one.

5 mains, ricardo heads stock, just an all round burlier motor.

Definately get that guy on here...

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan makes good looking stuff. I run straight cuts gear on my T...you can kinda hear them at idle...but once you get on the loud pedal they kinda just disappear.

25. TV

TV

Sorry about his name, It is Rick Fox I'll see if I can get him on.--TV

26. I'm hoping the timing gears will complement the quick-change!

Yes, valves are finally going in. Couldn't believe that's its been a whole year since I bought them!

Are these the normal toothed or fine pitched ones?

What year are we talking for these Plymouth motors?

Hey TV, what went wrong at Bonneville?
    The numbers run must have been very disappointing?

27. Anybody know of a triple carb manifold for sale?

Desperately needed, anything considered.

Can do a deal on a brand new Thomas dual or an un-machined single Fronty.

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Well all going well I'll have my banger in the shed where I'm living, for the first time ever, it's been on the road 3 years, but I've only been able to drive it on Hols! woohoo!

just gotta fix a big end knock......

Outback

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rich, posts a lot on the LSR list, sounds like a nice guy, had a good looking car that runs real well. I parted with my AMBLER OHV head last month. A Maxton LSR racer bought it, so it will be racing again. :)

30. TV

TV

Yes they were, Long story short is I only had three gears on first run and lugged the engine going into fifth, pulled hard and then started loosing rpm. I shut it down thinking cylinder gauling, backin the pits it seemed ok. We ran again and engine didn't run good,even though it was our fastest run. When we got home we found we had two gaulded cylinders, Pistons really bad and one cracked. So its all fixed now and looking forward running on all four. Should really be fun next year.--TV