Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering questions w/coils?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamchop, Aug 6, 2004.

1. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

I want to lower my truck I just picked up and i have heated up coils and cut them before,but what is the best way?Its a gm frontend probably 65' el camino,or chevelle...

2. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

best way is to cut them.

3. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

if it is for sure chevelle/elcamino heres some part number for lowering springs that would be the best low budget way. other then spindles perhaps

c990093.......2" drop $159.95
    c990094.......3" drop $159.95

i got these from original parts group 1800-chevelle.

Bryan

4. When you heat them,you destroy the factory heat treatment,
    and that area is no longer a spring.
    Which explains why they break.

5. I cut 13/4 coils out of my stock springs then had it realigned. The car sits good and rides perfectly...

Attached Files:

6. Roddin28

Roddin28

7. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

yeah..!!

I got a set of 4 dropped springs from www.coilsprings.com
    for my '65 Riviera.... $314 shipped to my door..!!!

great service and product, fast and cheap...!!
    what more could you ask for..???

Later, Snacks....

8. slammed

slammed

Eibach Spring's Doestech Shock's Sway Bar's

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

the springs in my 59 chevy ride in grooves that are the same shape as the sping ends. If I cut them less than a full coil (1/2 coil.. 1 1/2 coils...etc) then the ends won't line up in the grooves. Is that a problem?

10. do NOT heat them up, cut them with a hack saw or cutt off wheel. i cut 2 coils out of my '60 el camino, put springs in a bucket of water and cut away.

11. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    the springs in my 59 chevy ride in grooves that are the same shape as the sping ends. If I cut them less than a full coil (1/2 coil.. 1 1/2 coils...etc) then the ends won't line up in the grooves. Is that a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

They might "walk" back and fourth around the difference and squeek while doing it and if there's a difference in height in how they sit, (I know there is) then one might be up and one down and make the car lean a bit, not much, but a bit.
    Also, you want to round and smooth off that cut end a bit so it doesn't start digging through the seat

12. [ QUOTE ]
    do NOT heat them up, cut them with a hack saw or cutt off wheel. i cut 2 coils out of my '60 el camino, put springs in a bucket of water and cut away.

[/ QUOTE ]Whats up with the bucket of water ??

13. It's funny , I am just getting to this point on my 60 olds also. I just installed 2 1/2" blocks on the back yesterday so now I have to do the front.I plan on cutting the coils.

14. DrJ

DrJ

15. FONZI

FONZI

They might "walk" back and fourth around the difference and squeek while doing it and if there's a difference in height in how they sit, (I know there is) then one might be up and one down and make the car lean a bit, not much, but a bit.
    Also, you want to round and smooth off that cut end a bit so it doesn't start digging through the seat

-Great advise Doc. I never thought about rouding that end b4.

FONZI

16. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    do NOT heat them up, cut them with a hack saw or cutt off wheel. i cut 2 coils out of my '60 el camino, put springs in a bucket of water and cut away.

[/ QUOTE ]Whats up with the bucket of water ??

[/ QUOTE ]
    the water is to keep them cool while cutting, i used an air die grinder and filled just under the coil i was cutting. the do move if you let the axle hang, but they don't fall out. my friend went 2 1/2 and they do fall out.

17. Ditto 1 oldtimer. I'd add one more recommendation: The first trip you should take after a lowering job should be to an alignment shop.

I cut 1 1/2 coils from my front springs & installed 2" dropped spindles for a total of ~4" drop in the front. The rear was brought down with 2" lowering blocks. This is about the practical limit for a shade-tree mechanic. To drop any more, you'll need bags or serious suspension work and a much bigger investment of $$/time (or both).

Attached Files: