Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering a 53-54 210

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by il Revrunde, Aug 23, 2006.

1. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

ok...i know this is just common sense to most of ya's, but, i ain't ever done it. are there any springs out there that are readily available i can use instead of cutting the stock springs to lower the front on my 53? i've heard s-10 will work...but if i'm not sure i'm not taking any chances. thanks

2. slamdpup

slamdpup

s10 springs are to big..there to big around...to fit in the factory cups...just cut yours ..cut a coil off if thats not enough cut anothercoil...how low do you want it?..toyota truck coil springs ''might'' work..

3. That's the way....

i ended up cutting 2.75 coils on my 54, sits about 3.5" lower in the front, but only cut a coil or half a coil at a time...

4. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

i'm shhoting for about 3-4 inches tops...i don't want her "dropped ",but stock feels like she's in the stratosphere...i get vertigo driving her....thanks so far....anyone else got ideas?

5. becareful.... anything over 3 and your going to be scraping ALOT.... i do!

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

7. Each full coil you cut is gonna drop it appoximately 2 inches.

8. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

rock on.....so maybe 1.5 -1.75 coils off....that should work......now off the top or bottom of the spring? i've always thought it wat the top because you want the spring to seat properly in the lower cup.....am i on the right track here?

9. Rivet

Rivet

I have 3" blocks on the rear of my 54 and with the saggy rear springs its maybe almost 4 " drop. I am damn close to the bump stops. And I cut exactly 2 coils from the front and the car sits level. Looks good, for now......
    Bags and a step notch are in the worx.

10. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

Get a hold of Evil1 He knows how. His is dropped.

11. I used dropped uprights from national chevy.
    Don't buy dropped steering arms, they're useless.
    Afterwards I had to cut a 2" section out of the adjustable (driver's side) tie rod which put the adjusters in the middle.

Absolutely no bump-steer.
    Lowered me 3" in the front.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a coil or so removed from my 49. sat cool. rode like shit when I hit a bump. it's all a matter of how cool you want to be VS what kind of shitty ride you are willing to put up with. I'm 46 so the shitty ride thing takes less precidence over cool.

dropped spindles will give you 2' or so and not effect the ride,,, mustang II will give you up to 4-5" and give you a BETTER RIDE and steering than you ever dreamed of

13. I put 2" dropped uprights and 3" dropped coils in my '54. It sits about as low as I'd want to go without changing the sump on the oil pan. That's now the lowest part of the front end.
    Something to consider, just cutting coils is going to fuck up your steering/ suspension geometry. That's why I'd recommended to use the dropped uprights. They'll lower the front suspension without changing things too much. With just cut coils, you're going to have a wicked camber problem. Just my $.02

14. yes and no..... mine had no problems 7K miles later....tires are good and no camber problems....she rides straight

15. What kinda problems?