Register now to get rid of these ads!

lower stock 54 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thejim, Sep 17, 2009.

1. thejim

thejim
    from Wisconsin

Well i'm looking for some advice and tips on how to lower my 54 chevy which is running stock front suspension. I have pretty much so rebuilt the entire front, king pins n such, And now i would like to drop the front a couple inches. I was wondering if anyone has used the dropped uprights and steering arms from national chevy. Due to funds thats the way i was looking at going with a set of 14in. steelies and coker wide whites. Here is where my problem is. Well if i get those dropped uprights it looks like i won't have enuff clearance to clear the rims without adding large spacer which i believe is unsafe. Well i'm wondering if anyone has used these dropped uprights and if so if they had to get special offset rims. when it comes down to it i might just start cutting the coils until i can afford the mustang 2 style front end with bags. But for now any tips or advice would be great. thanks

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Do a search. Jamco and Fatman have everything you would need. I just did it to mine.

3. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Cutting the coils on that car is very easy and it wont take you very long at all. There isn't much lost in the drivability either in my opinion. I have dropped several 49-54 Chevy's by cutting the coils and have always liked the outcome. You can still put 14 inch rims up front with out any spacers. Just remember don't cut more then 2 coils. I learned the hard way on my first one years ago by cutting 3. Best result is to cut 1 1/2 to 2. Personally I like the looks of cutting out 2. Plus its very cheap to do.

4. thejim

thejim
    from Wisconsin

Cutting 2 coils how much dropped did that give you?

5. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Cutting 2 will give you 3-4" drop upfront. If i remember right each coil is close to two inches of height. Then it will settle and if you go with 14's up front it will give you a great stance.