Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lower radiator hose, spring, no spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by st.rod, May 31, 2014.

1. st.rod

st.rod

Howdy,

Time to replace radiator hoses. Built the car about 20 years ago. The lower hose that I used had no spring so I put one in from another hose I had.

Is it necessary to have that before I button this up?

Larry

2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It's a good idea, so that coolant can be recovered from the overflow. Otherwise, the hose can collapse flat under the vacuum.

3. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

What Ulu said !!

4. st.rod

st.rod

Don't have an overflow. But might as well put them back in...
    Thanks

Larry

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I always run an overflow (coolant recovery) tank, because Prestone is like $9 now, plus I hate the stuff spewing on the ground.

If you've ever come up to a stoplight on a motorcycle and put your foot down into a puddle of someone's hot Prestone, you'll understand.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't think I ever had a lower hose with a spring. Personally I don't think that it is critical. But I'm a dare devil and always press my luck. I know that some have springs but in 50 years I've never needed one. Your mileage may vary.

7. chopped

chopped

Newer hoses are made different, some don't need a spring.

8. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Some coolant systems aren't pressurized & don't need a spring IMO if there's no overflow recovery bottle.

Also, hoses get soft. A new hose which is short will likely never miss the spring.

9. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Put the spring in the lower hose...better to be safe than sorry when it collapses down the road in the middel of nowhere....

10. If doesn't mater if its pressurized or not it can still collapse, newer hoses are more flexible and more likely to collapse causing restriction. Put it in and happy motoring. JW

11. yruhot

yruhot

When I was young, we had a friend with a old chevy blazer the would run around town just fine but get it on the freeway and it would just boil right over. Put it on the rack and revved it up and you could just see the lower hose suck together and starve the water pump for water. New hose with spring and problem solved. I would highly recommend a spring type hose just to be safe. in my humble opinion.Doug,yruhot

loudbang likes this.
  12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Having a spring and not needing it wont hurt near as bad as not having a spring and needing one.

I say the same thing about firearms too.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, any water pump is capable of sucking the lower hose shut like that. A spring is just good insurance that it won't happen.

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

When one collapses, if I open the radiator cap & it'll expand, because the system was closed & trying to suck a vacuum. An open system shouldn't do that, should it?

I always run a spring, but I always run a closed, pressurized system...

15. It may be pressurized but when the water pump is earning its keep at mid/ higher RPM there is a lot of resistance for the coolant to flow, that's when the hose will collapse.......when its needed most. JW

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I got tired of popping my radiator cap, even though it was infrequent. Best thing I ever did was to install a spring. It costs damn near nothing to do and the benefit is worth it.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I agree, same with money!

18. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Yeah, you are right. Why do I have a blind spot about this spring thing?

19. stimpy

stimpy

on tight curved ones was either a spring inside or a solid pipe like we do on the semis only use the rubber as a short connector and the metal also helps disapate some heat too .