Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low oil pressure '41 flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacrazy, Oct 2, 2013.

1. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

Been to the Fordbarn, thought I might ask here as well-I bought a "running" flathead V8 (81-A), got it fired up on a stand. I put a cheap parts store gauge on it, at first it read 25psi until it warmed up then went to just above 0 at idle. if you revved it it might show 10psi. Now granted this is an old worn engine but the rods are quiet, and only slight lifter noise. At this point I figured the pump was shot so I dropped the pan, installed a new Melling 8BA style pump and pickup tube. I also pulled the intake and shimmed the old relief spring 3/8" so the new pump would control the relief. Filled her up with 15-40 and fired it up again-no change in pressure. I took the gauge off the capillary tube to make sure it wasn't the cheap gauge while running, it just pees a steady but weak stream of oil. I know its oiling but the 8BA in my avatar shows 60psi cold at idle. Am I overlooking something? Any help is much appreciated!

2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Its possible the oil plug in the front of the engine is missing the one located behind the cam gear. Another area for a big internal oil leak is if the fuel pump push rod is not being used if the push rod hole is left open once the oil preasure will drop a lot.

3. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

I guess its possible, the flywheel is on it but the trans is not. would it leak on the floor or run back into the pan?

4. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

Oh and the fuel pump rod is being used.

5. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

By oil plug behind the cam gear i assume you mean the old relief valve in the front of the lifter gallery? I made sure the check ball was under the spring and then shimmed it so it wouldn't relieve before the pump does.