Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low buck degree wheel for cam timing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Stabe, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

If you only build an engine once in a while and you don't like the tiny 8" degree wheels or you don't want to spend the big bucks for a large diameter professional one, you can build one for next to nothing yourself. If you search Google Images for degree wheel you will find lots to choose from, the site I used was http://media.beta.photobucket.com/us...g.html?filters[term]=degree%20wheel%20template&filters[primary]=images#/user/sh0rtlife/media/1958%20lloyd/lloyd217.jpg.html?filters%5Bterm%5D=degree%20wheel %20template&filters%5Bprimary%5D=images&_suid=1358 52244575103749104168313744 . This is the image
    DegreeWheel.jpg

Take the file to Kinko's and have them blow it up and print it in a 24" diameter on some heavy paper. Use some spray adhesive to mount it to a piece of masonite or MDF and cut out the circle with a scroll saw. Drill a 7/16" hole in the middle and mount it with some large washers to the snout of the crank. If you dn't have large washers just drill a 7/16" hole in the middle of some scrap pieces of plate.

At 24" diameter the distance between the degree lines is .210" or about 7/32" so it is very easy to measure to 1/4 degree - very accurate. If you do a 30" wheel the distance between marks is over 1/4". make your wheel a convenient size for engine you are working on. When I was assembling my engine I checked the cam that came with my ported heads and discovered that the timing did not match the card and there was as much as 4* variation in phasing between individual cylinders. I sent the cam back to the head porter and he had it verified by a NASCAR engine builder and he confirmed what I had found. The porter changed cam grinders and sent me a replacement that checked out OK.

Moral of the story is you need to check everything to make sure you are getting what you paid for. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->