Register now to get rid of these ads!

Love is.......The Feburary Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. flatfour

flatfour

Back to the carby discussion,since 97/94 s are almost 2 carbs in one how hard would it be to block off half the carb ,plate under throttle body, block a jet etc ( the problem of the power valve in the 94 aside)
    fesable or mad!!???
    thanks Brett

2. C Yapp did a lot of research on Riley heads but Dan Iandola wrote the book on George Riley. I don't remember any production numbers listed. I think you will find there is a lot anecdotal information. J Brierley(4 port Riley) probably could give you some idea. After WW2 Riley or someone using his name started manufacturing Aluminum 4 ports. In the past few years there were at least 3 people casting Aluminum 4 ports.The results for the 66 hill climb in the current issue of FAST has Iron 4 port Riley and just 4 port Riley listed. I assume the 4 port Riley must apply to the Aluminum heads by various manufacturers. I believe that riley only made 2 ports until sometime in 1931. I have read that the "C" was the highest compression and some were made with the same combustion chamber as the 4 port and were reportedly very fast.

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I have thought about this.

I think it is feasible, but not practical or very efficient. I would say that the 97 or 48 would be the best candidate for this. The biggest challenge would be the accelerator pump circuit. The volume it puts out would have to be relieved or reduced by half.

If you try it, let us know how it works.

4. olskool34

olskool34

Hey guys, been trying to find the adapter to put the 39 tranny behind the banger and nobody seems to have it. I found the bell housing, wishbone mount and e-brake mount but need the clutch shaft and pedal mount still. Do you guys know who actually manufactures the kit? Any help is appreciated.

5. flyin-t

flyin-t

Snyders sells the kit or individual parts for the kit.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/modelaparts/transmission-2?page=3

6. This is an update of my earlier post on the Riley 2 port head. I ran across an interview with Joe Gemsa in a S O S S article by C Yapp today and he said he didn't think there were more than 50 2 ports made. I find that hard to believe but he recalled problems and casting quantities. He said Earl Evans did the foundry work and the design of the patterns seemed to be a major problem.

In Dan Iandolas book, "George Riley's Racing Scrap Book" he states that there were 2 dual plug heads cast in 1932 and there is one other one that has 4 inserts welded in to make a dual plug head. He has photos of these in the book. The first adds for the 4 port appeared in July of 1932 The 2 port heads with the plugs on the drivers side are called "Early" heads, The "Early" heads also have an overhang on the drivers side. He also says there were 3 models, the "B," the "C," and the "D". The "D" was a commercial version for trucks, the "B" was a performance head and the "C" was for racing. The "C" has 2" ports and what is called the 4 port chamber. There were also dual and single manifolds cast for the various heads. The dual manifolds seem to be for Winfield carbs as dual throat Strombergs were not as readily available at the time.

I'm adding a little more info. My 2 port is an early head according to the design, it has the overhang and the plugs on the drivers side. It is stamped 4 8 30 so I wonder when they quit making the early heads and how many of the later heads were made. I have seen 2 adds for "C" heads in the last couple of years. This is why I find the statement by Joe Gemsa kinda conservative as to total heads made.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

8. v8ford

v8ford
    BANNED

I think vintage ford out of sacramento carries one either for 250 or 350 i think..hope this helps

9. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

When the Feds closed Riley down Joe Gemsa got the patterns for the 4-port and cast one batch 10 or 12 heads? they then were sold to John Vesco in San diego and he made quite a few, then George Butler got them and also made a bunch. Those are the only 3 people that cast any after Riley. I have no ideas on numbers. Riley put a date on the iron heads but no numbers.

10. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

11. jim galli

jim galli

Being a bit of a history buff, where can I read more about this event. The feds closed him down?? Just sounds like an interesting story.

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That would be a great story to bring to the new Banger Meet.
    I would think... FEDS=TAXES :confused: