Register now to get rid of these ads!

louvering a deck lid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I SMELL SMOKE, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

can you louver a piece of steel and weld a flat sheet under it to keep the water out? i like the way the louvers in a deck lid look but worry about the water. is there a way to do it and keep the water out?

2. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

If you have a beed roller, you can get a louver die. I know Eastwood sells them. I have been wanting to try this for a while, but can't afford the dies just yet. I was thinking louver a panel, and weld it on top of the existing panel(or splice into), hood decklid, or whatever. I think the die set is like 60-70 bucks.

3. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

kinda what i was thinking about. laying a louvred sheet ontop of a plain sheet of steel but wondered if any one has tryed it or if anyone had a better idea?

4. ken1939

ken1939

I would think trying to "mate" two pieces can run into trouble in two ways. One would be the chance of flattening some of the louvers, second would be a real clean "join" between both pcs so you dont have any humpy spots where the metals wont join. Not an expert on say using any of the automotive body panel adhesives, but at least you wont warp any metal.

2 cents. worth

5. Homemade44

Homemade44

When you put a sheet of metal under a top sheet with louvers unless you seal all surfaces rust will eventually form between the panels. One way to seal out the water is to get a sheet of the flexible magnet material and cut it to fit under the louvers. When you want to clean out the dirt that will get into the louvers you can remove the magnetic sheet, clean everything and put it back on.

Joe

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Magnet door sign under lid

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yup yup yup...this is the way to go.

8. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

i just had my deck lid louvered,i put dp 90 epoxy and then black single stage on it,sent it back to brookville to put together,it wont last forever but it will look killer,wash it by hand and carry a piece of plastic to put over it if it rains

9. 49meteor

49meteor

I recently sold a fellow some louvered strips which he epoxed to his glass duce deck lid, a ton of work but cheaper than the repo lids and you don't lose any body entegrity by cutting out the inner skin or bracing.

there are some pics and a brief write up on the last page of www.hotrodlouvers.com

10. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

don't forget to put a drain in.

11. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

12. lawman

lawman

Hers is mine. I punched two panels out of 20 ga steel and used "JB weld" to hold them to the deck lid. A little" Bondo" and your finished.

Attached Files:

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Here is my fiberglass 32, steel panel bolted to fiberglass inner skin ,no leaks.
    steel hood has aluminum inner panel to keep water out of engine.

ago

Attached Files: