Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Louie mettar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackout78666, Dec 19, 2015.

1. blackout78666

blackout78666

Check out this link. I'm sure to guys in so cal know of this guy but just saw a program about him on tv. Spent 5 years custom building a Cadillac to go from Cali to New York and back nonstop. Like, no stops. Refueling on the fly. Changing tires on the fly. Fascinating custom car. Accomplished this in 7 days there and back!!!
    http://www.carscoops.com/2010/11/meet-louie-mattar-and-his-fabulous.html?m=1

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    He had a cell phone and all kinds of crazy shit in there. 2 co drivers and himself on shitty 1952 roads. Amazing.

2. Reel to reel tape and a hooka:D.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. blackout78666

blackout78666

There was a part on the show where at the beginning of the journey they all felt like shit and figured out they we're constipated. Rang up the local doctor and he had a sheriff drive em out some laxatives so they could keep.... Uh ..... Going. Hahaha. Can't make this shit up. I think the car is in a museum in San Diego.

falcongeorge likes this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not worth the price of admission....

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

people thought differently then...gotta wonder what was in the hukka...

7. blackout78666

blackout78666

I don't see what he did as any different than " hot rodding". He thrashed on building a car to push his and the cars limits for 5 years and then did it. The car itsself....... Looks like a bastard Liberace whip before there ever was one. And I can't see how this wouldn't be worth the price of admission. Now, the " thing" out in the middle of nowhere was a burn. But this car says hot rod for all of the right and wrong reasons. I love it

8. I have a book about this guy. It's a great story.

9. ken bogren

ken bogren

We saw that car at the museum in San Diego a few years ago. Pretty interesting setup.

10. Kids?!?!
    That's not a cell phone. It's a mobile radio telephone. Waaaaayy before cell phones were even a glimmer in the minds of sci-fi writers. BTW, that's a hookah, not a bong ;)

Hnstray likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Does this mean I should be replacing my rumble seat with a chemical toilet to maintain period-credibility??o_O

blackout78666 and Sting Ray like this.
  12. 1940's ambulances, the next traditional hot rod...you know they are modified from stock right;)

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Saw the rig in every car show around San Diego area '65-'67.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Was "it" worth the price of admission?

15. blackout78666

blackout78666

Good lord how much was the price of admission ??

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It Depends. For many of us at this stage of life an on board potty might make a lot of sense ! :D

Ray

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    falcongeorge likes this.
  17. pitman

pitman

Whoa, is that a turbo? And a radio-phone to call AAA, too cool.

18. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Dave Schuab drove his 32 hi boy roadster thru 49 states in 8 days 16 hours and 48 minutes for a total of 9,856 miles with a bag of beef jerkey and bottle water by himself, TWICE, I think that it was 10 days on the first trip. Hell of a feat, he also raised over $100,000. dollars for Children's Hospital at Stanford. Yes he paid for all the trip himself.

19. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

The mans name is Louis Mattar, his car was put together in a shop on Market street in San Diego. He made numerous trips with it and always non-stop, the car had catwalks on both sides, as did the trailer, the car had hydraulic rollers on each corner that could lift a tire to change a flat, extra fuel and tires in the trailer. It was quite a commotion whenever he would show the car and demonstrate it's abilities, I believe it now resides in the San Diego Automotive Museum. One other memorable trip was from the Canadian border to the tip of Mexico.

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Was it worth it ? For an 18 -19 year old sailor, all of them were worth it. Half a dozen magazine cars, Prowlers, Oilers, Iron Horsemen, Bean Bandits, 4 Ever 4s, circle burners, live radio shows all in one place ....
    The most I remember paying to get in was $2.50, less in uniform, but Navy guys in San Diego weren't very popular.

21. For as weird as it all is, the car is still a hell of an engineering job. Motorized catwalks, built-in jacks, oil changes while running, full 'facilities' inside, the guy didn't miss a trick. All in all, pretty amazing if more than a bit strange...

Hnstray likes this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Remember taking the bus downtown from North Park and walking over to Market street and going into his garage and looking at the Caddy when they were getting it ready to take on the first trip. Yes, the San Diego Automotive Museum is well worth the price of admission! In the past couple of years, they've featured lead sleds, woodies, low riders and roadsters. All HAMB friendly.