Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rfraze

rfraze

I believe this one was to be in Grand Prairie area (not sure exactly where). Asked about it when back there a few years ago and was told that it did not go thru or plans were off the table. No current info.

2. John Doe 55

John Doe 55
    from Georgia

Southland Dragway was located on W. Park Ave. about a mile S. of 90 , the remains can clearly be seen, it is across the road from Bonvilla Ct.

3. I thought I read it was going to be around the I 30 and loop 12 area, then nothing.

4. Beavertail

Beavertail

It was located on County Road 232, five miles north of Hanover. You can read about it in the online encyclopedia of U.S. drag strips that I am compiling. Even though it is still a work-in-progress, it is already the most comprehensive encyclopedia of U.S. drag strips ever produced. I'm including sanctioned, independent, outlaw, and old speedway tracks, too. I have thus far entered most of the drag strips that opened at least fifty years ago. It is organized by state, with chronological listings and alphabetical entries. Each entry gives a capsule history, years of operation, links to old YouTube videos or radio ads, a link to submit your memories of drag strips, old newspaper ads, etc. My goal is to include all drag strips that opened before 1977, that is, strips that opened 40 years ago. Help is most welcome on this big project. If I'm missing some tracks, I'd like to know about them. Also please consider adding your memories of drag strips where you either raced at or attended. It is located at: http://dragstriplist.com

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    Nailhead A-V8 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. ntfday

ntfday

I'm a little late chiming in here, but Dahio was located at the Montgomery county airport just a little north of west 3rd street just before you get to New Lebanon, Ohio. In 1959 Richard Moore (techinspector1) and I along with some fellow classmates started a car club called Viking Customs. In 1960 the NHRA clubs in and around Dayton, Ohio ran the drag strip on Sundays and after about the third Sunday I became the flag man for the most part of the season. This is what it looks like now.

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8, Deuces and Ray C's son like this.
  6. Add Aquasco in Southern Maryland to this long list of lost dragstrips. 20190919_104416.jpg

7. Any pictures from Maryville Drag Strip in Tennessee ? I recently bought an old 36 Chevy coupe that was reported to have run there

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. aaronjohn20

aaronjohn20
    from Ohio

2021-08-16-20-33-22.jpg Wayne Trail Dragway. My grandpa and dad

Deuces likes this.
  9. aaronjohn20

aaronjohn20
    from Ohio

2020-02-22-22-50-35.jpg 2020-02-22-22-50-08.jpg FB_IMG_1582471231962.jpg My Dad and LeRoy Hoaglin at Wayne Trail. And a semi recent pic FB_IMG_1582471647028.jpg

10. old flopper

old flopper

Hate to break this to you, but this is Beech Bend Raceway drag strip in Bowling Green, KY. It’s still in operation today so it certainly doesn’t qualify to be listed/shown in a thread titled “Lost Drag Strips”.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Camodes are not HAMB friendly ...Read the rules.

12. aaronjohn20

aaronjohn20
    from Ohio

13. aaronjohn20

aaronjohn20
    from Ohio

14. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Beech Bend actually does belong in this thread because the remnants of the old strip is still on the property!
    E5F6E155-DCC3-413F-B821-69467B88329F.jpeg

aaronjohn20 likes this.
  15. aaronjohn20

aaronjohn20
    from Ohio

Wow, I didn't know that. Now I'm gonna have to see if I can find anything about that.

16. larry k

larry k

Any one have any pictures or info on the old Malden Missouri air strip drag strip, they had lots of fast and famous cars back in the 60s and 70s , spent a lot of sundays there !!!

AHotRod likes this.
  17. 1biggun

1biggun

Cotati Drag Strip - Kustomrama

I don't know if Cotati drag strip just south of Santa Rosa was mentioned.
    I was 6 when it clsoed but could hear the cars from our house . only reason I knew it existed was my dad said those were race cars at the drag strip we could hear .
    I never saw it .

Some good pics in the link .
    Sucked when Fremont closed . I was at the last sprint car race there also .
    in the late 70's we trekked to freemont becuase the track was said to be a 1/2 second faster than Sear point . We did go faster in a 65 Chevelle with a 302 in it .
    ran mid 12's on street MT tires

AHotRod and olscrounger like this.