Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost a old time Pontiac guy today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Nov 8, 2020.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I just got word than my last living uncle passed away today at age 94. Uncle Wendell was a WWII vet that fought the war around the Japan islands but I never could get him to say much about it. After the war he drove truck for a while, turned wrenches at a John Deere dealer then in 1953 married my mom's sister and I gained my favorite uncle. That same year he got a job at the local General Electric plant where he was the top machinist until he retired in 1988. He was an only child and he and my Dad became close as brothers. He and Dad would sit around a camp fire, drink a few beers and I would listen to the stories of them growing up in the depression, the cars they had and just life in general. He told me when Dad dies in 88 that he had lost the best friend he ever had.
    I went to visit him often, especially after my aunt passed away in 2002. I would ask him about the cars he had over the years, he said his first car was a 36 Ford coupe that was pretty well wore out when he got it and he worked on it more than he drove it. Next was a 37 Pontiac, then a 47 Pontiac when he got out of the Army. When he got a good job he bought a new 53 Chieftain that he drove until 1960 when he traded it in on my favorite car he ever owned, a 58 Chieftain 2 door HT with Tri-Power!! He drove that 58 until the Ohio winter salted roads rusted it away an it sat behind his garage for years. I asked him about it a few times and finally in 1970 he told me if I could get it running I could have it. I got it going, aired up the tires and got it home, two months later I got my greetings letter from Mr. Nixon. I had no where to store it so my cousin wanted to build a modified pulling tractor so the 370 tri-Power engine lived on after a rebuild with pop up pistons and a big nasty cam. When he up-graded to a 427 Chevy he gave me the 370 back and it now lives in my stalled 54 Olds 88 project.
    I last got to talk to my uncle at the nursing home for a few minutes outside(due to the virus situation) and he was still pissed that they quit making Pontiacs as he was going to trade in his 2000 Grand Prix on a new Pontiac. He told me at 94 he had made his piece and was just waiting to go. He will be missed by many!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  2. Sounds like a great run...so cool he and your dad passed it on.....he now can join his bride....and your dad.

3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That is the first thing I though of when I was told he passed away. I bet him and Dad are having a cold one with Mom and my aunt yelling at them right now. I remember one time when they got into a jug of shine while sitting around the camp fire and they got pretty well buzzed up, when they came to the house feeling pretty good Mom and my aunt started in on them, Uncle Wendell stuck his fingers in his ears and Dad covered his ears with his hands. As mad as the ladies were they had to laugh and it all settled down pretty quick. They all laughed about that night for years to come!

Bird man, Boneyard51, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BuckeyeBuicks

I am so sorry for your loss, and yet as I read your post, I couldn't help but smile. It sounds like your Uncle Wendell was a great uncle and a really good man.

I pray that you and your family will be at peace. As you continue to cherish and share your memories of Uncle Wendell he will always be with you.

Godspeed Uncle Wendell!

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m so sorry for loss . Loved ones can never be replaced but will live on forever . The simplest things mean so much , enjoy every minute you have with them as if it’s your last . Men never do it , tell them you love them .

Thor1, Boneyard51, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Thanks guys, I have nothing but good memories of him. He was a talented machinist, mechanic, electrician, you name it, he was the go to guy in our family for most any thing that needed fixing. In all my life I never heard him have a bad thing to say about another living sole. The last few years he had lots of medical issues but he never talked about his problems. He was truly a one of a kind.

reagen, williebill, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Condolences to you and your family. Sounds like he was a cool Uncle .

Deuces, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you and the family and friends in your loss of Uncle Wendell @BuckeyeBuicks...you were very close...may he Rest in Peace...

Regards,
    Stogy

loudbang, Deuces and Thor1 like this.
  10. I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like a great loss to us and even more for those who actually knew your uncle. Please pass my condolences on to all.

Stogy, loudbang, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my pop was a year older than your uncle, and in Japan at the beginning of the war. they don't talk much of it because it was the worst place to be in WWII. my dad told 2 stories about the war, he threw a grenade into a tank and blew a guy up, and lit some trees up with a flame thrower and several men ran out on fire. he got a purple heart after being hit by shrapnel. that is all he ever said about it.

my dad had PTSD long before it was popular.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Great tribute - sincere sympathy goes out to you, and all of his Family and friends

13. ken bogren

ken bogren

Condolences to you and yours.

It sounds like all those good memories make the loss sting less.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Those guys were tough. The reason they didn’t complain was, they were used to things being tough! Seems like people today whine about the smallest things!
    My Dad was a member of the “ Greatest Generation “ also. He was also aboard the USS Enterprise, fighting Japan in WW11. Those guys gave us the freedom we enjoy today.
    Rest assured he is happy now with his wife and family! He earned it!

Bones

Stogy, loudbang, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences...

16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

63_Pontiac-Grand-Prix-X_400_DV-15_AI-03.jpg 63-Pontiac-GrandPrix-X-400_DV-15-AI_i02.jpg 63_Pontiac-Grand-Prix-X_400_DV-15_AI-e01.jpg God Bless him. He's up there tuning those 421 Super Duty's with Smokey and Jim Wagners..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    v8flat44, Stogy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  17. reagen

reagen

R I P

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

God speed to your Uncle Wendell.

Thor1 likes this.
  19. Uncle Wendell is gonna be pissed if you don't get your Olds/Pontiac going! I have a 370/4 speed in my old 34 ford, also with pop-up Jahns pistons...love it!

Thor1 likes this.
  20. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You are probably right. He told me many times he had more fun and got into more trouble with that 58 Pontiac than all his other cars put together. I told his daughter I wanted to have a Pontiac Indian engraved on his head stone but she vetoed the idea. She said that would look tacky, go figure:rolleyes:

Thor1 likes this.