Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking into a model t project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HelmuthBrothers, Jan 15, 2011.

1. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Lately i've been looking at a lot of lake-style model T's from the mid 40's, and I'm thinkin about starting a project this summer sometime. So far I'm looking at the glass model T bodies on the market, and I've read some good reviews here on the Hamb of different companies' T bodies. I'm really going for this style...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What i'm looking for right now are tips on different ways of building the frames for this type of car. I wanna channel the car, and get it sitting low with a decent rake. Possibly 17s in the back and 16s up front.

So what are your guys opinions on the ways of building the frame and suspension for a car like this? What type of specs?

What kind of things do you guys think were done to these cars frames/suspension?

2. dudley32

dudley32

check out MrModelT

3. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I'm not the most knowledgable on this, but it looks like those frames are not z'ed in the front. Probably kicked up in the rear 6 inches (ish) and maybe just a drop axle in the front. You could probably search track T build and find tons of specs

4. dudley32

dudley32

Also Search ..gow job...d32

5. F&J

F&J

Check out the 3rd car down, number 348 on the door. I doubt it is channeled due to where the belly pan hangs down.

If you channel one of these, you will feel like you are sitting way up too high in the car. I prefer to have the seat as low as it can be, so I would not channel a T or A body for that reason.

6. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I think you are definately right. Unless you have a closed car, by channeling the body you will sit "up" really high in the car. My T coupe is channeled 6 inches and chopped 6 inches and my head sticks out the top of the car unless I slouch WAY down. I am only 5'9"

One thing that is really cool though, like on the vodoo larry model a (it's on 32 rails though) he sectioned the frame so that the car "looks" channeled but it isn't. You may be able to build the side rails from 4 x 2 and section the part the body sits on down to 3". Then you might get away with channeling the floor say 2" and you would have the appearance of 3". Like someone mentioned though, I don't think that is what is done with that style car though.

7. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

You don't see wood wheels on 'em alot... Somebody else had to have done it....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. I am building a '27 T Roadster at the present time. It is based on a A chassis, although I might just have well used 2 x 4 tube, as I have raised the rear kick up 6" and Pie cut the front rails to give a 3 1/2" kick. I am using a stock A Rear spring, mounted behind the diff and the stock A front axle, with a reversed eye 6 leaf spring. 14" front and 15's on the back. Sits nice, I think.
    Good luck with your project, I don't believe there are enough T's out there anymore. :cool:
    Will post some pix when I get along a bit further (as long as the flames aren't to bad for using one of "those" bodies :rolleyes: )

9. dudley32

dudley32

that does it for me....d32

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

check out ctfuzz ,He has fiberglass bodies ,My dad bought a 27 truck body off him reasonable .Glass is good and thick He has other bodies available......

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Check out JimmyB's build thread, too. Although it's a Chevy, it's got the look/era you're looking for.

12. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Awesome guys thanks a lot! Very helpful! The more i think about channeling, i think if i were to build the chassis out of 2x3 3/16" wall the channel would only be 3", and maybe i could possibly drop the seat pans down a few inches to squat down inside the body a bit. Probably gonna run lake headers instead of tail pipes so probably wouldnt need the room under the body for the tail pipes.

1.Anyone have any pics of homemade model T chassis they'd wanna post up?
    2.Anyone have any opinions on the speedway glass bodies?

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Fiberglass ?!!!,.... Nahhhhh, you want 100% genuine Henry Ford steel ! Seems to me,.. I might know where a really cherry body is ?,.... now where was that ??????
    [​IMG]

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, it's easy enough to find a real steel one. Might be a little less complicated to channel it, too.

26 T Roadster.jpg

Here's mine (above) and the look/height/stance I'm going for (below)... but it'll be B banger powered, quick change rear and painted.

T Roadster Inspiration.jpg

15. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I love those Model T's!

16. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I've been trying to buy one from a guy in a nearby town. He refuses to sell, but lets the body sit on the ground. Not even a few blocks under it. He's trying to drive me crazy......

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I bet a Real Henry body cost less than a speedway glass body. keep it Real

18. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

isnt that a DONK?

19. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

yeah i totally understand where you guys come from trying to get one steel. Im totally down to get a steel one, and im sure ill try to find one once the project starts. I just figured worst comes to worst, if the glass ones are quality stuff, i would consider it being my first real rod. once again, if anyone has pictures of their chassis for model t's post em up.

20. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Well the time has almost come for me to start building this car. I wanted to see what size wheels/backspacing/tires people recommend. I've always seen 16x4.5 Front on 550-16 / 16x5 Rear on a 750-16. Any backspacing recommendations? Also, any opinions over coilovers in the rear VS a buggy spring? Not sure which would ride better.

21. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Looks like im picking up a 27 roadster body soon, so i'll be collecting parts soon. I have a wanted ad for a model A chassis if anyone has one, or knows of one for sale. Pics to come!

22. anteek

anteek

fiberglass????? Are you going to call it the Tupperware T????

23. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Haha no I'm going to call it a deal I couldn't pass up.

24. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Looking into placing the T body on the Model A frames. Post up some pics here if you have a T roadster on a Model A frame...

25. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Please tell me someone knows who built this car, and, or where I can find more build photos?

[​IMG]

26. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

No info on that car, but it's slick!

I'm working on my second T project right now.

Use the KISS method and you'll be alright.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If that's what you bought, then you did good! What's the drivetrain set-up? By the looks of it, it's an OHV or an Ardun.

28. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Haha i WISH I bought this...I bought pieces to build a T so now I just gotta make it look like this.

29. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

TTT...anyone know whos black T roadster that is? ^^

30. 500 single

500 single

I don't know the car, but that front end looks like one of Shadow Rods-
    Anyway, good luck with the T.
    -Greg.