Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for radiator mounting ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stonebird, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Stonebird

Stonebird

I have an aluminum 57 Chevy radiator like this for a custom roadster project I'm working on. Overall size is perfect for the space I have to mount it.

[​IMG]
    I need to mount it between the frame rails. Rails are 4 x 2 x 1/8". There are substantial cross members, also 4x2, under the engine and at the front of the frame. Radiator will be mounted about mid way between those cross members. The space between the rails is about 3 or 4 inches wider than the rad so there's plenty of room. I was originally planning to build stands on both sides and utilize the mounting flanges on the rad. The tops of the stands will be braced straight back to the firewall. It's powered by a Buick 430, so theres TORQUE. My concern is frame flex twisting and cracking the radiator if it is bolted solid. What do you think? Rubber isolators, bushings, different mounting arrangement, don't sweat it? Would x bracing the mounting stands in front of the rad keep it from binding? Sorry, I don't have any decent pics of the frame handy. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. You have a valid issue to be thinking about. Personally I'd make a lower crossmember below the Rad between the frame rails. Then a U shaped mount to mount the Rad to much like a 50-51 Ford stock piece. I guess 50 Mercs use that same style also. Maybe I can find you a photo. Then mount that at each side below the Rad to the new crossmember with Rubber cushion. I would Not center mount it like some are done. Support rods from top corner on each side fastened to the metal U brace back to Firewall.
    The Wizzard

3. Here is a photo close to what I'm thinking. At teh time of the photo the core support is sitting on a center mount. It was latter changed to mounted on each side. That was to fine tune front sheet metal adjustment. Also I added a top cross piece to stop the weight of the fenders trying to seperate things at the top. Hope this helps. By the way that is actually angle iron it's built out of.
    The Wizzard
    Mark\'s 51 Ford 011.jpg

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

I would run brackets off the frame rails to the side of the radiator and brace it forward or back the frame not to the fire wall. That way the top of the radiator is free to move side to side as it needs to.

5. Stonebird

Stonebird

Are you talking brackets all the way up the side of the rad or just over to the bottom holes? Either way, if the rad is mounted solid to the frame, Im afraid when the frame twists that would transfer some twist into the radiator and eventually fracture somewhere. I think I will attach the radiator to a steel u frame that has tabs on the bottom to mount with springs to the frame rails, like a model A radiator. Braces from the top of the U frame back to the firewall. The U frame will handle any structural requirements and the radiator mounts will just need to support the weight of the rad. As intended in the original 57 Chevy application, radiator support handles any structural requirements, radiator just hangs there. The bracing back to the firewall is actually part of my current hood mounting/opening plan too, so I kinda want to keep that. That's the plan so far. Still open to other ideas.