Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for racing History on this 1932 Ford 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sledge, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Wondering if anyone might know any history on this old coupe? It's currently owned by John Barnes and he's been driving they hell out of it for about the past 5 years all over So. California. You guys probably recognize the car from its current configuration but we're trying to find out what history it might have from 50's/60's. He's getting ready to install a Scott blown flathead so while the engine is out he's asked me to do a little work to the body.

Judging by it's radical chop and other signs it has obviously been raced at one time. I believe this car was just a body floating around for years until the previous owner put it on this chassis and got it running about 6-7 years ago. We know It was radically channeled at one time and looks to have had the motor set back with the pipes going right through the bottom of the doors! Judging by the door tops and windshield it looks like it had plexy glass windows screwed to the body. Here's some pictures.

[​IMG]

The chop on the car is somewhat amateur and/or they were just in a huge hurry because the front of the roof is slightly higher than the back and slopes up at the front. This is one of things John wants to fix.

I carefully sanded the doors down on both sides to see if I could find numbers but was unsuccessful. I did find signs of red and yellow paint and a couple other colors
    [​IMG]

After digging around on the body I was just running into major bondo abuse so we decided to just send it to the sandblaster
    [​IMG]

Here you can see it a had 4 pipes coming through the bottoms of each door
    [​IMG]

Some ugly stuff under the bondo and paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lower deck lid panel looks to have had a recessed 40's or early 50's plate at one time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Under the paint on the deck lid we found where it said "just married". And I think it was painted on after the louvers were punched so this car was probably running around on the streets as a hot rod before it was raced.
    [​IMG]

So if anyone knows any history please let us know! Also we want to fix the roof and install a working front windshield so if anyone has or knows of some parts to fix this old coupe it would be much appreciated!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Damn Kevan, Iv'e always been a fan of that car ! Don't know it'd history, but do know that it's badass !

3. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Keep us posted on progress of straightening up that chop mate!

4. Dave50

Dave50

I would rechop it i like it as is but thats me... Fix it up a little though keep us posted

5. Wow! That's a very old build. Some of the work doesn't look too good. '50's and '60's you see brass work. I would for sure use lead on this one. Nice find.

" Real Hot Rods don't have fenders "

6. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

that is an instance where the car is talking a little bit ! Remember the old saying

"if only a car could talk, the stories it could tell "

7. Bitchin ol car! Hope the history shows it's face!

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I've seen that car somewhere before :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has that been a West Coast car all its life? Can't start looking for history without a known home. Bob

10. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Im not positive but I think it was originally a california car. John talked to a guy who owned the body in the 80's and lived in So Cal. The guy didn't know any history of it either.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, I'm guessing it was amid '50's build. With the doors blocked by the headers I guess entrance was through the roof. Bob :)

12. The guys from DeLuxe had some roof patches and header for sale at LARS if your chasing panels.

13. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks! Do you know how we can get in touch with them?

14. No I dont, but I think they/them/him/one of them may be a HAMBer. Some one here will know of them......they have a few hot rods with DeLuxe painted on them.

15. I believe that coupe is this one in the picture attached, look at how the side and rear windows are screwed to the outside.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Also this pic. Same chop, kink on reveal above door and has header cutouts in door. This looks to be a later version of above 3w, I saved these from Byron's gasser madness

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  17. Besty34

Besty34

I love this stuff - good luck with the search

18. Good one Jimmy. The rear window looks screwed in also.

19. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

My god Jimmy B, you may have hit it !!!!!

20. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

ace detective work.......

21. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

wowwww!!! you are the man!!!! if that aint it, then the same guy who chopped that one chopped another just like it!
    Also,, look at the way the bottom of the quarter tips "flip" out on both cars,,,

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Holy shit Jimmy!!! If that's it what a find!!! That car is constantly referenced and is totally rad!!

Even if it's not it's Mr.Barns has an awesome car!

23. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Another amazing example of the knowledge power of the HAMB!

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work Jimmy! How does your research system work? The "I remember that car the photo is here" or the flip through the files till I find it method. Could someone lighten the first photo the highlight the details. Thanks! Bob

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Can anyone I.D. this drag strip? previous pic looks to also be the same strip.
    Someone mentioned possible roof entry because of the headers through the doors, but with a roof insert, hinges, and handles,, it looks as though the doors opened even with the headers.

"Under the paint on the deck lid we found where it said "just married". And I think it was painted on after the louvers were punched so this car was probably running around on the streets as a hot rod before it was raced".

Maybe not. Those louvers don't look (rounded 50's) vintage to me. They might be, but look more like the generic louver die shape that started to be mass sold iaround the early 80's from company's like Good Times and Sir Michael's, etc.

What a hurried hack chop job on the car. I'd imagine all that brazing may have been covered with lead at one time.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Next question, now that the history of the body is known does it become a Race Car restoration, or a Hot Rod build with a race history? Bob

27. noboD

noboD

I kind of like the dust buster look! What a find.

28. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Jimmy B, YOU'RE THE MAN!!! It looks like both cars may be it! The early version is probably closer to what it will go back to. Even though it's cool, I dont think John could be talked into doing the dustbuster look. This is why I love the HAMB! Amazing!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  29. Andy

Andy

That scoop nose reminds me of a P-51 scoop turned upside down.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Whatever it is, it wasn't made by the guy that did the top chop:eek:. Bob