Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for info on Waldo Hirshfield and Hirschfield Automotive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Otie's Automotive, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

75625293_10206978494737726_211830454213410816_n.jpg
    Looking for info on Waldo Hirshfield and Hirschfield Automotive. The original version of my Fiat was raced by Waldo Hirshfield out of California throughout the 61 season with several different drivers and was sold after winning Indy and brought to Ohio to become Bill Smiths first race car. I would love to find more info, history or photos of the car before it came to Ohio. The car won B/A at the 61 Winternationals as the Hirshfield & Bucky Coupe, they lost Middle Eliminator to Mickey Thompson. It set a national B/A record at Inyokern 5-61, as Hirshfield -Beaver (John Force's uncle Gene Beaver). The car then won the 61 Indy Nationals with K.S. Pitman driving. It was sold at Indy and brought to Ohio where it sat at Arlen Vanke's shop over the winter and was purchased by Otie in the spring of 62. Bill came home from school at 16 and it was in the driveway. Otie told him it was his first race car and started taking money out of his paycheck to cover it. The only other info I have found on Waldo are a few photos of a 33 Willys that was driven by Chuck Finders. My car is a recreation of the car as it was raced out of Otie's shop, but I have found and purchased the original body. The build tread of the recreation is here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...automotive-b-a-fiat-topolino-tribute.1003256/

Speed Gems likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang