Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for info on sb mopar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by llonning, Jul 17, 2008.

1. llonning

llonning

I have them all 273, 318, 340, 360. I am going to put one in a conglomerate Ford PU. I have seen in the past some blower kits for the LA engine. Now I can't seem to find anything. If I can't find a blower I might put a 6Pak on one. Can any of you help with some info???

2. llonning

llonning

Any help at all?? Thanks

3. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

mopar sb? eww

4. Mopar34

Mopar34

Small Block Mopar -W:cool:W. Blown Small Block Mopar -W:cool:W W:cool:W. Blown Small Block Mopar in a FORD.:eek: B:mad:W W:mad:W. Yuck.:mad:

Have you tried all of the MOPAR web rings?? Like www.mopartsracing.com You could give them a call. Maybe someone there can you hook you up with what you want.

5. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Guys are rough on the Mopar crowd today. Love my 5.2 FI in my 39 Plymouth, a very overlooked engine that gets great mileage.

6. My kid has put many of them bowtie and blue oval boys in their place with a sb mopar!:). they are much eaiser to make hp with than the other two. No one that I know of makes a blower kit for them, ever thought about a twin turbo? now their is cool! and way eaiser to do.

7. llonning

llonning

I have always liked the Mopar. Besides when you have all of the stuff to do what you want without paying today's prices. Also they are lighter and a tad shorter than a SB chev. Thanks Mopar34, I'll give them a try.

Something to think about for all of you Mopar haters. The next project will have a 600+ HP 427 Chev in it.

8. Abomination

Abomination

You don't have a 318 Poly, which could be considered a small block MoPar, albeit a WIDE one. ;)

Same bottom end, and looks AWESOME, especially in an open engine bay.

~Jason

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am a Ford and Mopar guy ! I would take that 340 with a 6 pk and put a 4 speed with a pistol grip behind it and you have got one hell of a ride any day ! That combo will give those big blocks a run for their $$$ in a 1/4 mile ! I have seen them run and have driven them in a Cuda back in the early 70's . That was the badest sb Mopar ever made . I have seen blower set ups on 340s and 360s at car and street rod shows before . Don't know who makes them but look on Google for Mopar speed and racing parts and I am sure you will find one , BUT I would still go with the 340 -6 pk and 4 speed ! **** Remember IT'S YOUR RIDE !! Do what you want to it , but drive the hell out of it !!! ****

10. boscosis

boscosis

Sorry I'm not wealth of information on this but I'll try. I know that Dick Landy Industries for a long time offered a roots blower kit for the poly 318, I'm not sure about the LA series. I'm assuming that you don't want to fool with a centrifugal blower but I think that The Supercharger Store can set you up with just brackets or a complete kit.

11. llonning

llonning

Thanks, it all helps!!!

12. Abomination

Abomination

After Landy died, the company kind of went away. No more DLI, save for the site (which is still up).

:(

FYI.

Scroll down this page to 35 Dodge Hot Rod's post:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221211&page=3

~Jason

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

BTW, the LA engine has the following design advantages over the SBC and SBF.
    -9.6" deck height
    -6.123" con-rod length
    -18 degree valve angle
    -valves centered in cylinder bore
    -higher camshaft location (for long stroke cranks)
    -spark plug closer to cylinder center (less total spark advance required)
    -shaft mounted rocker arms (more stable than stud mounted)

14. plmczy

plmczy

Dick Landy died? When was this? later shawn

15. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

i say thats bullshit, it is pretty much proven that the chevy small block is the most versital and easiest to obtain more hp out of any engine ever produced

16. I put a 273 in my '50 Dodge. I love that little motor. Which ever one you choose, make sure you keep us updated and post pics of your progress.

17. GTS225

GTS225

lloning....what style of blower you looking for, roots or centrifugal?
    http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/ could fix you up with a kit, but it's centrifugal......might not be what you're looking for.

Roger

18. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

the polys do have a bit more of the 'nostalgia' look but the LA series sbmopars are much more performance based, and also alot easier to find parts for - more cheaply - though all that said, SBC guys and even SBF guys have us beat on cheap.

Might be stating what you already know, but it isnt the blower, its the manifold you need - and they are more scarce, but out there. In fact I am building a 360 right now that i intended to blow, but i am probably going tunnel ram instead.

Check out Hampton blowers and/or Alsblowers online they have the sbmpar manifold new - though a bit pricey - or keep your eyes peeled on the clasisfied and ebay etc, sometimes ya never know where youll come across one

19. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Back in the 80's , a friend of mine got a complete 6-71 set up for a mopar 360 engine from Blower drive service. Don't know if they are still around.

20. llonning

llonning

I would have preferred a B&M kit that I know was offered years ago. I even put one on a 2.8L S10 and it worked great. I was looking for the simplicity of the install.

VNCduke; I have personally blown away every small block chev I ever went against with my little stock 340 GTS. Factory everything! Even the so called hot vette's in the area. Can't really beat a 4.04 bore X 3.31 stroke and 2.02 heads. I have chevy's myself and they don't hold a candle to my little GTS.

GTS225; I really prefer the look of a roots type system. If I wanted a centrifugal I would adapt the McCulloch VS57 I have for my Studebaker Hawk.

shadowkustomz; It is a 28 A frame with a 34 cab PU. Going to be a while, I have it all tore apart. Just had to update the wiring in my barn. Damn light companies!!!! Had to spend the money for the PU just to satisfy them. I don't know how to post a link, but if you do a search I have some pics on here when I got it home.

21. llonning

llonning

Thanks, Abomination!! That looks really great! I just found Dyers Blowers. They make a kit for the SB Mopar. Did the same thing, looks like an Offy manifold they converted. Prices don't seem to bad either!!!!

22. Abomination

Abomination

23. Abomination

Abomination

Stock poly parts are easy to find - NAPA has 'em ALL. In fact, the whole rotating assembly and timing set, oil pan, is is all identical to the LA motors. The only thing different is the heads and cam, and what bolts to 'em (exhaust & Intake).

As for SPEED parts, there are 2x4s, 3x2s, 1x2, and 1x4 intakes out there... but that;s where the thrill of the chase comes in. You can even get finned aluminum valve covers new! Of course, all this coolness comes at a premium. :)

But the parts are out there.

Don't let the lack of speed parts stop you! If you like the poly, build one. You can built the HELL out of the bottom end, get a HELL of a cam for it from Racer Brown, and throw it together with a windage tray and the stock 2-bbl intake and steel valve covers. Later, as you come across it you can always swap on some cooler valve covers or intake!

Besides, ask 29Jay about his Poly he just did - they're not THAT bad, man!

~Jason

24. llonning

llonning

Never had a poly engine. I do like the looks though. I am into the later LA engines. I just use what I have on hand, and most of that is LA Mopar stuff.

25. codeblu

codeblu

Pro-charger makes a kit fot the LA-series Mopar engines, side note, the local Chevy and Ford guys can't keep up with my 5.9 Dakota R/T. I'm putting a 413 in my 55f100.

26. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Give dyersblowers.com a try.

27. llonning

llonning

Thanks! I found Dyers, their kits look good!

28. Glen Larougue , Ottawa Ontario " Where the past beats the present" has a small block Mopar Roots blower set up for sale. I may have the spelling not quite right but I think it is ok. He also owned the James Boys 4 dr 33 willys gasser. Someone must know him still. I havent seen him in about 5 years. He has stuff no one knows about but uses that "where the past beats the present" line in all his advertising and business cards.
    And now for all you little boys out there with bow ties.
    At our local stock car track for at least the last twenty years in the rule book it says in block letters NO 340 PARTS ALLOWED. These rules were made by the same goons who go around spouting "THE CHEVY SMALL BLOCK iS THE MOST POWERFUL ENGINE DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR IN THE WORLD"
    If that is so why would they keep this rule in their book for 20 years. It doesnt say no Corvette parts doesnt say no 327 parts . Doesnt say no mustang parts it says NO 340 PARTS ALLOWED. Nothing more needs to be said. Case you think I am lying check it out. Brighton Speedway, Brighton Ontario Owned by Lou Ranaldi and the track announcer is Huck Flindall .
    Until tracks and bowtie guys quit whinning about how unfair it is to run against a 340 (TEN CU INCHES SMALLER THAN THEIR SBC) I cant hear what they are saying. / All i hear is Bawck , Buk buk buk BAAWCCCCCK! Buk Buk.

29. llonning

llonning

Thanks, Dolmetsch. It has been proven time and tiome again in most of the magazines. LA Mopars build more power with less money than a SBC. In fact the old Direct Connection catalogs used to detail how to build a screaming SB Mopar. A lot of it started with the 273 rockers.

30. Abomination

Abomination

If you ever decide to go Poly, use a '62 - '66 block. ALL the LA bellhousings bolt to it, and like I said, all your LA bottom end swaps. :)

~Jason