Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for info on my 66 L72 Biscayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZAPPER68, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

I have been searching the net for some time now, looking for info on my 66 L72 Biscayne. My car was originally purchased new from Arrow Chevrolet in Duluth MN by Dick Ribaudo. Dick raced the car extensively (B/S) at Minnesota Dragways back in the day.

The car was Aztec Bronze and lettered 'Rat Trap' on the doors and had a Road Runner on the rear quarters. I would certainly appreciate it if anyone has any information/photos about my car from that era.

Thanks in advance
    Cal aka ZAPPER68

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sorry man, your car's just a hair out of the scope of the Hamb (65 & prior). Cool car though, & sharing the same body style as the '65, it may get a pass. Not my call though. Hope you find the info you're after.

3. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Yeah, I know the cut off, but if you don't ask, you won't get. I cranked it up today for the first time this year....those solid lifters and cam are special. Hopefully, someone will let this thread survive and I'll get some info I'm after. Thanks for your reply...much appreciated.

4. I can't help but thumbs up on a cool car .....my buddy at work has a 66 2 door Post Bel Air .....396 ....and...... they have a 1 18th scale diecast out in Aztec Bronze with Fawn interior, BBC Redlines, Steelies and Poverty caps....just got it and it is done nicely. Only 1002 made. Good Luck with your search.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a throwback car that should be good here. I'm just another swingin dick member, I don't make the rules, but that's one of those things that carried on from the big 4 back then. I don't think it's off topic taboo, just a bit newer and surely a rare treat the board could accept. I hope you find out here cuz anything's possible on the HAMB, yes?

6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

You know ...I still haven't found what I'm looking for either.I just hope someone here can help you complete your quest.

7. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I keep an eye on the 'Drag Cars in Motion...Picture Thread' hoping to see it there, but so far (1661 pages later) no luck.
    My Biscayne was featured in the June '86 edition of Super Chevy Magazine entitled 'Minnesota Thunder'...that is where my quest for an L72 started.

8. It never happened without pictures

Cooon likes this.
  9. I would love to see some pictures of your bronze beauty. It is indeed a rare edition.
    Your 66 is a refreshing car despite the rules of this forum. I hope you can gain some more information thru here, or maybe a home drag strip web page in Minnesota. A possibility might be a full size race Chevy forum. Wish you luck in unearthing some mystery of this cool Chevy.
    Keep us posted please.

10. I think you need to light it up on YouTube so we can see it but especially HEAR those solid lifters and lumpy too much lift and duration cam.

11. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

My bad...I had a brain fart when I posted earlier. The magazine article was June 1987, not '86 as indicated above. I'll dig out the magazine and (hopefully) post it for you guys....my computer skills are limited and I don't have any 10 year olds to help me.
    I have asked the Minnesota drag racing fraternity for some help, but unfortunately without success.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dig '66 L-72 Biscaynes and Bel-Airs WAY more than four door '52 chevys...

scotty t likes this.
  13. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Here you go guys - the article from Super Chevy Magazine back in 1987 Biscayne 2016.jpg

14. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I hate these 427- 425 Biscayne's. One of them almost out ran my 63 Dodge 383! Almost in 1968.

stillrunners likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car isn't Hamb Friendly but you aren't posting photo of the car nor actually discussing the car but hunting it's racing history. Of that I have no clue but some of the guys from the area it was first sold in might. Another board to ask on is www.hotrodders.com Lot of mid 60's go fast car freaks over there who are really into the mid 60's performance cars and drag cars.

270dodge likes this.
  16. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Another board to ask on is www.hotrodders.com Lot of mid 60's go fast car freaks over there who are really into the mid 60's performance cars and drag cars.

Thanks...I'll try the link.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

droool...

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Big blocks, Cragars, and dog dish hubcaps.
    How could this be off topic.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Doug, I wanna run Cragars on my Chevy II SO BAD, but its going to be my new daily, and its real hard to keep them from rusting in our wonderful:rolleyes: PNW winters... Maybe I will get a set and put drag radials on them and run them April to Sept. Cragars on a white chevy II are just so right.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Period Cragars(non unilug) on a 60's anything will never go out of style.
    Add a little ...........patina, and allota horsepower and life is good.

21. I think you need to post a pic or two of the car...
    grew up around my dad's BB impala's, always have a soft spot for them

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

23. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Thanks...I have previously contacted them, without any success. I'll try 'em again, I just might be lucky this time around. I appreciate everyone's input...my quest continues.

24. is this the color?
    1966-427-biscayne.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Yup....exactly, it has the same fawn interior as mine does too. When looking closely at my car with the light 'just right' you can see the lettering as I mentioned in my first post. On the front fenders is 'John's Performance Shop' from the days when it lived in New Ulm MN after Dick sold the car.

I have an copy of a Newsletter from MN Dragways from back in the day when Dick owned the car if anyone's interested.

Thanks for taking the time for posting the picture.

26. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Bump for Easter...does anyone have a lead for me?

27. BULLITT65

BULLITT65
    from Indiana