Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for help from the HAMB community

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jettback50, Dec 14, 2011.

1. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

BTDT, need death certificate and your birth certificate, and if married a copy of the marriage license to get ball rolling. Get DMV printout of all registered vehicles. Good Luck as the slime always boils to the top.

2. First, sorry for your loss of your father. Lost my mother very unexpectedly Sept 2010 and had to do some scrambling with financial stuff myself. Not nearly as bad as you have, but I fully understand the difficulty piecing things together after the fact.

I would suggest to talk with an attorney familiar with estate law. He could certainly figure out what to do with the asshole friend. If you have titles, make sure to contact the police and DMV. You might be able to put a lien on them yourself, which would help protect your interests. Talking with an attorney for you could save a lot of hassle and be worth a few bucks for the advice.

3. Jettback50

Jettback50

Thank you all for the help and well wishes you have provided so far. The HAMB is a great place.

I wish I had good news to relay. Things are still very screwed up. The best part is when you call this tool's phone there is a message left by his daughter " If you are calling regarding the estate of (my father) call (lawyer's phone #)"

I have not heard from him since before the funeral and his lawyer will not return my calls. I can not even figure out what kind of settlement he might want.

My Uncle did get a hold of the lawyer and he said that they were "trying to determine who's property is in the garage." That was about all he would say.

My Aunt and Uncle went around East Troy / Lake Geneva this week to try and find the Farmer's barn based on the pictures but they were not successful.

Still having trouble making plans because of this one guys hold up. It is kind of comical, I found my father's upholsterer this last week and he knew the whole story and knew that my father had left everything to me. He said he talked about me a lot. Never met the friend but told me to go in there with the cops guns blazing and get this guy on 10-20 counts of Grand Theft Auto. Can't stand this guy in the least any more but don't want to hurt him that bad, he has kids too.

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

why not,he knows what hes doing.have you been watching e b and craigs list? every day that goes by,he could be moving and selling.sucks for sure and sorry about your dad.

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Sorry to hear about your Dad...I knew a guy just like your Dad cars everywhere in Canada and the US he died on the side of the road coming back from Hershey....his wife had no idea of all the cars and parts and where they were....took her forever to get things sorted out. As for the scumbag who stole your Dads stuff...I would have no sympathy at all I dont care if he has 20 kids,hes an opportunistic thief who deserves to be treated as such.Good luck I hope this coward gets what he deserves!

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I was in a similar but different situation when my dad died. It also involved a guy that was his best friend. Short story, this guy and my mother were scum. The week after my dad died after being in a nursing home for 4 months I cleaned out his garage and storage and took everything. There was no way I was going to let this scum bag make use of anything my dad worked hard to get. My mom came out and told me she paid for some of the stuff and I told her to send her boyfriend over to my house and we'd discuss who had rightful ownership of what. He never did show up. A little bit of justice, a few months after the scum moved in with the other scum, which was a week after my dad died, she found him sprawled out dead in the hallway. I didn't do it, it was natural causes, he had a bad heart :). I won't say anymore about my mom because you're suppose to "love and honor" but she is no longer with us.

Good luck on your quest, I hope everything turns out for you.

7. AMEN to that! Your Dad's "friend" doesn't give a shit about the pain he is causing you and your family, turnabout is absolutely fair play!!! He thinks you are going to "play fair" and eventually give up, due to he and his lawyer's stonewalling. Call them twenty times a day! File suit and have them both served. They can't ignore that.

8. barbara

barbara
    from wisconsin

i live in lake geneva, & those pictures are definately outside of town...possibly lynn, wi? do you have any other pics?

9. OK, here's my advice after having gone through a four year legal battle with money grubbing scum bags after my mom passed away. These are lessons I learned:

1) Always do what's right and hold the moral high ground. Stand on your principles. Always tell the truth. This will work in your favor. Liars and thieves will be found out in the end. Judges and police officers will not look kindly on them.

2) Through referrals or whatever - find the best and nastiest attorney you can find to advise you. Preferably someone who has practiced law in the area for a long time. He/she will know all the judges and things will tend to go your way in court. Do not scrimp in this area! I'm serious!

3) Do not hold back. Do not feel sorry for anyone who is trying to wrong you. When you have the opportunity to legally/criminally go after this scumbag, prosecute him to the full extent of the law. Do not hold back or you will regret it later. When I was fighting these scumbags over my mom's estate I could have pursued criminal charges on some of them. I didn't, and it came back to bite me. What I'm referring to is the following:

If would advise you to go after him with everything you have, because he will do that with you. He's the scumbag, not you. I know it's hard to believe that some people are the way they are. But believe it!! Some people have no conscience. The only way to deal with them is to be as harsh as possible. You are at war. Accept the fact.

Every attempt to make war easy and safe will result in humiliation and disaster.-William Tecumseh Sherman

4) Be on the lookout for forged documents. This guy will come up with some, guaranteed! Forgery is a crime. When these turn up, see item #3.

5) Check your Dad's phone records. He may have been in contact by phone with some of the folks who were storing his cars.

6) Act quickly and never give up! Speaking for myself, things like this are a matter of principal. I would fight to the end, no matter the cost in time or resources.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. Hyfire

Hyfire

May sound like dumb advice, but I would keep your Dads telephone number active. It sounds like some people are holding onto some of them... and if they are honest, which most people are, they may call to find out the deal after a while.

Now a days numbers can be held onto and transferred....

Good luck... sorry for your loss. I would also be calling on every possible lead you get from his paperwork.... If he has titles, those will tell you who owned them and where they were located. If he had them stored it had to be at that location or near by.

Josh

11. Jettback50

Jettback50

Thanks for all your words. There have been a few updates. The friend has called and said that he wants to turn over everything and drop the case with his lawyer. He turned over the keys to the storage unit and told me that there had been 2 no 5 no 2 break-ins at the property. With that being said, I believe there were two rolling tools chests and a number of hand and power tools that are no longer there. He did ask me to pay for the last for months on the storage unit because he “was storing all those cars and parts for you.” And he also mentioned the $3,000 lawyer’s bill that he would like help on because he doesn’t have any money.

Needless to say, my school career has gone to pot. I am trying to keep up but there is just so much stuff still up in the air, calls from this guy, creditors, bill collectors, and a few harassment calls (not sure what they are about.)

He told me that he feels better and he was just trying to do what my father wanted but he doesn’t think he was right. That is why, according to him, he dropped a $350k lawsuit and gave me a $430k car. Must be watching too much Barrett-Jackson. He does not seem to understand that the estate is under major water and many other people need to be paid before any family even sees anything.

My uncle went and picked up everything, thought that it was probably best I did not go on the property in case this guy changed his mind again so I have not had a chance to look into all of the cars yet to really see their condition or completeness. But there are no supercars or 1 of 1 cars. One of the guys on the property told my uncle that one of the cars was worth a lot because it was 1 of 2 in the country with the original title. Can you believe that? Even if that was true, why would that raise the value beyond a one-owner status, and it does not make a difference because once you title it, that is over with.

With all this still going on, I just got a call that my Grandmother just passed away. I am just trying to hold things together the best I can.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Man, you sound like a person of integrity. Try and get this settled as best you can and then go back to school. Believe it or not, this will all work out.

13. AZbent

AZbent

Sorry for all of your losses. Maybe yor dads "friend" will see the light and not expect you to pay for the expenses he thinks you incurred all of this time. Good luck.

14. mlagusis

mlagusis

Jettback50, Praying for you during these tough times. Sorry for your loss and the head and heart you must be going thru.

You had mentioned earlier that there is cars all over the place. If you need anything looked at between San Francisco and Tric Cities, Wa...let me know. My wife and I are driving to Ca this Thursday. We are going thru Bend, Or. Send me a PM if you need us to stop.

Matt

15. Geez brother. I'm sorry you're going through all this.

I'm a little cynical when it comes to this particular kind of situation, but just for kicks here's my take on what he told you.

1) His lawyer told him he didn't have a leg to stand on and could even face criminal charges if he wasn't careful. That's why he's dropping out.

2) There were 2, no 5, no, 2 break-ins means him or his buddy alrteady ran off with what they could get, tools, cars, etc.

3) As far as his lawyers bill...man, this guy is a piece of work! He's trying to get anything he can from you. Did you hire the lawyer or did he? Does he actually want you to help pay some of the fees he incurred while trying to screw you? Apparently so!

4) He dropped a $350k lawsuit against YOU? Is there no end to this asshole?

5) He gave you a supposedly $430k car....that was already yours? What a guy!

Oh yeah, pay the storage bill directly to whoever is storing them. Don't trust this guy to tell you the truth. If he already paid and wants money as re-imbursement from you, then tell him to provide receipts and the executor of your Dad's estate will reimburse him when everything is settled. That is the correct way to do that, I think.

I'm sorry bro, if I sound a little passionate on this subject. Things like this really push my buttons. Some people are un-freakin-believable. By disrespecting you and your family like this, he is disrespecting your Dad.

Good luck with everything. Take a deep breath. It will all work out.