Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Advise on 3 Phase to Single Phase conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rokcrln, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Hunting, drag racing, skydiving, and that are all things that YOU have control of, YOU decide to do, and do not require a lot of training. Some, yes, but not a lot. There are assumed risks involved. Electricity is something, when done wrong, will kill you, an employee, a customer, or burn your place to a cinder. Plus, if your insurance figures out you did unlicensed electrical conversions like that and that caused the fire, well, good luck on that claim.

Or, you can cheap out, do the DIY route and basically guess if you got it right. Your choice, of course. Some things are simply best left to the pros. Three-phase is one of those things.

Three-phase is illegal in all homes and home shops in all 50 states, BTW.

2. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Some of my engine building machines are 3 phase & I have the same rotary phase converter (3hp capacity) which has served me well. Since the total HP of my motors is less than 3hp I can run them simultaneously if needed.

If I had to replace it my choice would be a Variable Frequency Drive as a rotary converter is considerably more expensive and many VFD's are 230-220 single phase in & 3 phase out.
    With a rotary phase unit you are running 2 motors simultaneously which adds to the electricity consumption and VFD's are available from fractional HP motors on up.

ANY 3 phase motor will run on a VFD but I would not reduce the speed with a VFD on any motor which is not rated by it's manufacturer as VFD compatible which may put you in the premium efficiency motor range and they are quite pricey. When you crank the speed down the heat increases in the motor and you will reduce the life of the motor. At full motor speed there is no issue.Since it is a seldom used machine the most economical path to take is leave the motor as is and bring in 3 phase power.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. rokcrln

rokcrln

Well bringing 3 phase in is not an option. A single phase motor that will run this machine is more then the rotary converter and this way it will not require any re-wiring of the controls for the foot pedal forward/reverse. Building one my self may save a few buck from my wallet but will cost more in labor and that ='s more money.

Thanks again for all the advise and help.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

4. I have 2 Phaseamatic static converters that I'm using on a mill and for a lathe (not hooked up yet, but close). For my limited use, they're fine and cost effective. If you are in business or use the equipment all the time, you're better off with a rotary one.

From what I was told, the power loss is less with a rotary. All of my stuff was wired up by an electrician.

Bob

5. rokcrln

rokcrln

Well I picked up a Rotary unit from Temco in Fremont Ca. and then I added a 30amp breaker before the unit and it works great. All the original functions work perfect. I had a test piece to try that was about 8x40 16 ga and I first ran it through the short direction and after a few adjustment it made a nice hoop. Then I took it and quickly straightened it out just enough to stick it in up side down from the first try and once again it curved great with zero spring back. Then the last test was taking the same piece and straighten it out by stepping on it to flatten then I put it in long ways and after several passes adjusting it each time it made a great little drive shaft tunnel shape.

I mounted it on 4 rubber isolators that were recommended to me at the time of purchase and I am glad I did because this unit is very quiet and you can not feel any vibration in the roller it self when the converter is running. All in all it took about 2 hours to instal and wire but was very simple with basic home wiring knowledge. Only part left is to get a few clamps for the cord so I can strap it above the breaker so their is not any tension on the connectors.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files: