Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs looking for advice/encouragement/insight whatever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ka-zoo, Sep 18, 2015.

1. I heard that. I can't imagine living any other way than what I have but I have broken and worn pieces that I maybe wouldn't have if I had lead a different life.

2. Hoo boy... Two of life's major stresses (moving and divorce), and you want to throw one more in there (changing jobs). Being much-divorced, my advice is to get your feet well under yourself first, then seek your passion. And be honest with yourself about your creative skills; there's tons of guys out there with good-to-great technical skills, but not so many who combine those with the ability to create something of beauty out of their head. That 'creative spark' isn't something that can be taught, you either have it or you don't. And the ability to 'turn it on' at will can be another tough one. For every Foose, Barris, Winfield, etc out there making a good living doing this, there's dozens barely scratching by. The term 'starving artist' has a large basis in truth...

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just pointing out the realities. A job that has a pension and health insurance (even if you don't like it) has it's good points and at 39, is something that needs to be thought about. I ended up 'retired' at 58 with a bad back, stuff does happen...

But if your creative passion is strong and you're willing to work hard and long enough, dreams can be made to come true.

3. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Check out the community college thing Michigan tends to do Community Colleges pretty well in my opinion. Don't overlook the possibilty of hiring on as an apprentice at a body shop. I was talking with a friend who runs a new car body shop that does good work. He told me about a guy he had hired who had been a long haul trucker all his life. But after his father died he needed to be home to look after his mom. Anyhow my friend said he turned into a very dependable and good bodyman in a relatively short time. He said he had money issues for a while adjusting to the difference in pay for an apprentice and maybe that was a motivating factor!

4. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

On a lighter note take up smoking and drinking because all good body men do

5. pitman

pitman

Alan Berry, with his Camel lit would say, "You need a six-pack, in the painter!"

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. Lmao

7. williebill

williebill

Steve doesn't seem so crazy.... catch your breath before you make any major career change. Enjoy whatever peace comes your way, check into the classes available.
    Not that this applies to you, but I have a good buddy who tried to reinvent himself after his divorce, built a high dollar house ( to prove he could to the ex, I think ), and then lost his job. Now he's mid 60s, with a huge mortgage, shitty job, and no chance to get ahead.
    Good luck, and as others have said, enjoy your divorce. I have for the last 10 years.

ka-zoo likes this.
  8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

looking for the exit

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Harms Way

Harms Way

"WORD" !

falcongeorge and 3wLarry like this.
  10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Right behind ya'

3wLarry likes this.
  11. An attorney friend of mine said, "the reason divorces cost so much is because they're worth it".

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

*Go to the school you are thinking of attending and talk to them about what you are wanting to do*,(just do it) they deal with people just like you everyday, thats the only way you will ever know if you can, or shoulda,coulda,woulda may always haunt you*
    .........you may be surprised at the help you get ...or not but if its something you always wanted to do and you can swing it, Go for it!
    Im 45 and lost my factory job of almost 18 years due to the company moving opperations overseas, so to make a long story short, Im back in school at a community college learning auto body/collision repair and I love it.

I dont know where the road will lead from here but I do know that for rite now that Im doing something I always wanted to do in my life and I will have added skills I can take with me, if only for my personal hobby that I love.

oh, and I was afraid I was gonna be the old guy in class but their are 4 guys older than me, most are in their mid 20s and 30s.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  13. X's 3 on the cat suggestion
    Seriously though- whether you think you can or can't- Either way ...you're right

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Lots of good advise here.
    Avoid drama and stress. Get your sh#t together as much as possible right now, develop good habits and break bad ones. You are going through major changes right now, so this is the time to get on the right track.
    Avoid the for-profit schools. Go to community college and explore your dreams.
    If you have no other ties to the area, consider saving up for a road trip and explore (that word again) the country. The first thing they tell recovering addicts is to change the location and people that got you into the habit.
    Body work is a field that takes years to develop well. This means you will be 45-50 by the time you are a really valuable asset. It's a physically demanding field. Just go in understanding that.
    Best of luck to you and your path through the limited time we all have here.

falcongeorge likes this.