Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a solution to a shipping problem!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, Mar 2, 2012.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I have a crate long block on it's way to my garage and I'm looking for any advice you might have as to how you've unloaded one from the carrier. I could spring for a lift gate but that's another $120.00 bucks that could go toward the car.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jery

2. Beau

Beau

Tow strap and a cherry picker. For $120 you should be able to BUY a used cherry picker. You will need it to install the engine anyway.

3. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

lots of friends, or pallet jack and a ramp...if one is on the truck.

4. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I've got a picker but I'm not sure if it will be high enough to get it out of the back of the truck!

5. 3-4 big guys is always a good method. One time I was alone and had no cherry picker or helpers. I made a stack of used tires and rolled it off the truck and wrestled it around once it was closer to the ground.

Bob

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Back your truck up to it... with a few pallets you could get it in the back of the truck easily and then have some buddies come over!

7. Its up to the trucking company to deliver it, that includes getting it out of the truck.

You can rent a Bob Cat or a little fork truck cheap enough if the trucking company gives you a legitimate delivery time. Or if you can borrow a pickup why not just go to their terminal and have them load you off the dock.

8. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used a pickup truck and wood rollers under the pallet I used some old round fence posts 3' long. You also need some help and pry bars I did it alone but not the best. After you get it into a pickup a cherry picker will work. Good Luck!

9. Depending on how high the semi truck trailer is I've slid a palleted motor and trans down blocked up planks into a pickup bed

(the semi driver was being a pissy little bitch about not having a loading dock and it took all of 10 minutes)

10. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Back up a pick up truck to the carriers trailer and you have it 1/2 way home.
    Stack up some tires to cushon the drop. Or put the cheery picker in the truck.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've used my cherry picker a few times to load motors and it will reach into the back of the typical trailer truck with room to spare. You can also arrange for the truck line to hold the crate for you at their local terminal so you can pick it up there. They have forklifts there and can load it into your truck or trailer if you back up to their loading dock. I picked up our air compressor from Eaton Compressors that way. Just call the incoming carrier to ask about that. They will flag it and hold it for pickup.

Don

12. Beau

Beau

Yeah I thought of that right after I posted it.

13. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm thinking I'll go Chad's route and have a couple of my buddies help me put it in the back of my truck and then like coupe said, use the cherry picker from there.

14. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I could go to the terminal but it's about an hour away and I've got a three and a four year old that I would have to tote along. I think I'll wrestle it in the comfort of my own driveway...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  15. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Thanks Hamb for incouraging me to do all the things I typically talk myself out of...

16. i work at one of the TA truck stops....had my hemi delivered to the shop....and no, it's not up to the driver to off load ...just get it to the back of the trailer is their part of the deal....if you can't get it figured in a safe way, hell shoot me a message and we could ship it to my shop...fork it off and then dump it into your ride....

other option is to hook up with someone with a dock....and offer them a buck or 3 to roll it off onto their dock...

a picker will raise high enough to get a sbc out of any tractor trailer...might take 2 lifts but it would work...

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

NO! It's up to the trucking company to deliver the load, not unload it, unless you are paying for unloading! Unless you are paying for lifgate service, it's your responsibility to have a means to get the freight off the truck. That is why many carriers will not deliver to anything but a business address with a loading dock.

18. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

You could try getting some furniture lifting straps and a few burly friends. That might work. It's hard to say how well it will work without knowing what the delivery truck looks like.

19. ........pay the $120! Your bending over to pick up a dime and a dollar is gonna fall out your pocket.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's called dad and kid go for a ride time. It usually saves money if you pick it up at the terminal rather than have them deliver and if you have a pickup they will set it in the back of the pickup with a forklift.
    Outside of signing the paperwork it will probably take less then five minutes to get it done and be out of there unless they are busy or at lunch.

Or if you have a friend with a business that has a loading dock or has a fork lift near you where they can drop it off that works too and usually is a bit less than having it dropped off at your house.

21. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I used a local garage with a roll off car carrier and had the trucking company deliver to them. All they had to do was slide it onto the roll off, then the roll off delivered to me for $20 and tilted the bed and we slid the item off. The item was my four post lift, came off easy

22. gravity wins
    you pick the drop height
    semitruck to pickup
    pickup to stack of pallets
    play jenga til near the floor
    attach engine stand now
    or use a flat furniture cart
    on floor
    if needed someshort lenths of pipe or tubing and roll as needed
    1/ 4 sheet 3/4 plywood some 2x4s couple floor jacks

save your back and others backs "think" do not lift with humans

i am recovering from back problems " think "

if you go real hillbilly please record the event

besides its in a box it can take a lot

23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rent an appliance mover that goes up and down stairs. Just prepare the area to off load and drop it from one level to another. You could use skids covered in plywood or anything solid. I think that might work for you.

24. Your buddies and a sixpac... what more could you ask for.

25. mj40's

mj40's

I used my cherry picker and lifted mine off a semi truck enclosed trailer. It was on a pallet so I lowered it to the ground, unpacked it and bolted it to a engine stand with wheels. All that in the street in front of my house. The truck did have a lift gate but no fee was paid. Driver was easy to work with.

26. Normbc9

Normbc9

Try: www.engineshipping.com I have used them successfully four times. Reasonable, upfront cost estimate and guaranteed delivery to final destination.
    Normbc9

27. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

What he said ^ ....the hub can't be that far most of those delivery drivers are home each nite.

28. utahdodge

utahdodge

I work in a grocery store and we have unloaded stuff for neighbors and friends numerous times. loading dock, pallet jacks, forklift, we even drove a small skidsteer tractor through our backroom once. Couldn't hurt to ask a local business.

29. like mr 48 chevy said you can pick it up at the terminnal they will put it in the back of the pick up truck for you and could be less money if you pick it up there i work at yrc [yellow roadway] in cumberland ri we always have someone come to get stuff

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Fucking A just pay the 120 already and be done ! It would cost more than that in Beer and Whiskey to have my buddys over to help !