Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for a really small alternator.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LKPar1270, Feb 11, 2011.

1. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

I want to put a small alternator on my SBF. I've been thinking about converting a motorcycle alternator to belt drive. Has anyone tried this, or have a suggestion for a small alternator from something else? The amperage isn't much concern to me, only lights and engine to run, 25 or 30 amps would be plenty

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Check out the foreign cars in the u pull it yard ,There small and have the amps........

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Kubota Tractor.....

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

the whelan modified cars run one thats about 4" diameter, but i hear they are huge dough

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1987 Suzuki Samuri. In stock at Autozone. Kinda pricy at 99 bucks (lifetime warranty), but they are teeny weenie, 60 amps and come with a V-belt pulley.

-Abone.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

If you want new, check a local automotive electrical shop.

They should have a small Denso alternator that fits small tractors and industrial applications (stationary pumps, compressors, gensets, etc) that is 30 Amp rated IIRC.

It's the smallest one I can think of that should be comparatively easy to find parts for (or replace) if you ever need to.

Quickest pic I could find, notice that the alternator isn't much bigger around than the pulley.

[​IMG]

Swiped the pic from Amazon

http://picclick.com/Amazon/Automotive/Replacement-Parts/Starters-Alternators/

7. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

This looks like it will fit the bill for me, I'll look into one. Thanks

8. aojo

aojo

i saw a fork lift altenator that was about as large as a grapefruit on a SBC a couple of weeks ago.asked the owner about it and he said it worked great. .. really cool.

9. the edge

the edge
    from Arizona

Denso...a bit over 60 amps..home made mount
    [​IMG]

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

what about mounting brackets for sbc with short pump.AR engineering makes braackt for mopar ,but didnt show anything for sbc...i need to mount mine of the pass side mid mount...

11. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

12. georgep

georgep

What about a sprint car alt. goes behind the water pump pulley ?

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That was what I was thinking of: http://www.racemate.com/

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Kiwi Kev's latest thread of updates on his Willys this week showed how he adapted a Chevy sprint alt to his small block. Looked nice and small and simple. I too have thought about the sprint car type mounted behind the water pump pulley, and at one point put some considerable time into figuring it out using a Harley alt adapted,but sold the car before I got to run it though, and never heard back from the new owner. I too would be interested in how well they work in a simple roadster type application.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Here in england the Mitsubishi's are fitted with small altys, the Kubota is small but only 30-40amps, may not be a probem if its basically wired.

17. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

This is a Denso 50 amp with a short water pump. Homemade brackets are just a long 3/8 stud with spacer in the head. The stud has a support to a pump bolt and also a turnbuckle adjuster to the pump. It was around $85 on EBAY. Easy install with a one wire system.

[​IMG]

18. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thats perfect....

19. LKPar1270

LKPar1270

I bought this alternator, looks great. Now to build that bracket. Thanks for the suggestions.

20. Troyz

Troyz

21. summit has a drag race alternator thats in that range of amps, its small but i think its like $200 or so...

22. designs that work

designs that work

The mini denso type are sold on ebay for various prices, chromed and plain aluminum. I believe that actual output is 45 amps. Have been running one on my avatar for six year. Turned the pulley diameter down slightly to up the output. With a standard pulley size had to charge the battery every two weeks. No longer need to charge battery. Simple T with headlights, one taillight and electric fan.

Attached Files:

23. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

what kind of sprint car has an alterator?

24. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

my - datsun - buds love the saturn alternators for small size and reliability.

25. Nippon Denso makes as small an alternator as you can get. Of course you may not be able to get one in the very near future unless we can get a really long extension cord from Hawaii to the factory.

26. bobscogin

bobscogin

They're all over ebay for less than $75. Search "Denso alternator".

Bob

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, c'mon...NOBODY tried to make a joke about the rope alternator belt??

-Abone.

28. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

My small one came from Jegs, Summit has them also. 13,000 miles on it with no problems yet.

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I went with a denso too. I got mine off of ebay. I think it was $75 shipped. Mine is off a 90's Civic and rated at 90 amps. I wanted a little more output then the 50 amp one. It's a little bit bigger but its still pretty small. If I did it again I would go with one off of a Toyota. The Honda one has an extra wire and I couldn't find a wiring diagram to save my life. I had to make an educated guess on how to wire it.

Attached Files:

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

IMHO, I'd stay away from small ones made for tractors and such as they could be easy to overspeed. The race car ones are cool, but are only 15 amps. The 90 amp Civic job above is right on the money, eh? Gary

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011