Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking at Buying a Wrecked 50 Merc...How High Would You Go ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Jan 6, 2014.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Now it's the 14th :) I'm so much looking forward to see what it's worth.
    And wish for a HAMBer to get it.

Is it a little selfish to wish that some one buy it and post pictures to se who are right; good or bad? Completly piece of junk or just badly in need of a repair.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'm hoping for the same outcome! And, why not? After all the speculation here, it will be a shame if we never know "the rest of the story".:)

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think no matter what it brings, It being a classic and being wrecked in a diffrent way than the next 50 will be wrecked and it being a auction it isnt going to set any kind of standard across the board for exactly what one will always bring.
    I have been to sevral salvage auctions when they done it that way instead of all being online and many,many regular drive thru auctions and I can tell you that it all depends on if you have 2 people crazy enough to go the extra mile and give big money for something or not.
    What may bring 10k or more this week may only bring 5k or less next week and vice versa.
    So even if you "guessed" what the final price would be and got it rite, congrats! but I dont think anyone knows the true range of what something like this will bring,they may have some kind of idea of what it should bring but no one knows what it will bring,professional or amatuer.

This one is also selling in tennessee today and looks a lot better but it is another 4 door.
    [​IMG]

4. If anyone here gets it, I would be interested in that air filter.

Yeah, really.

JH

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. fuzzface

fuzzface

that 4 door in Ten. is a rerun from last week.

The price I gave above was what I would spend on it and not a guess what it would go for. What low budget mentioned is very true, price can vary week to week by who is watching the item to bid on. Even my price will vary, if I had an empty shop, extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, my price I would be willing to spend might have doubled,

Just remember the auction is at noon but there are 85 cars before it so don't come on at 12:01 expecting a final result price from someone. :)

6. jambottle

jambottle

i sure hope the original poster was not really interested in buying the merc!He sure let the cat out of the bag!

7. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

If I had the proper equipment for pulling wrecks I would have (maybe) put a higher bid in on it. But for me its easier to start from scratch and finding a well bodied car to start with would be my main objective. The less body work I hjave to do the better, I hate doing body work!! Last car I did I put in both new rear quarters, trunk pan, trunk panel extensions, outer rear wheel house's, front and rear floor plans, and took 3 right right front fenders cut up and pieced together to make one. It would have been better if I found another body that didnt need as much work to begin with, I could have saved alot of money and alot of time. Now if I had a 32 vickey that needed everything, I wouldnt be complaining one bit :D, heck id be happy just finding one in any kind of condition....

8. cavman

cavman

Tic-toc, tic-toc...

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Why are you comparing running, driver, 4 dr.'s to a wrecked Coupe? There are many cars where a shell or roller Coupe will bring as much or more than a running, driver 4 dr. It's apples to oranges.

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

ok, sold for $10,300 to a Wisconsin bidder, actually all the bids after it went live came from Wisconsin bidders.

11. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Sold for $10,300.00 to someone in Wisconsin

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

guess he missed the post here where it is ony worth $1500.00:rolleyes:

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

Also you need to add all the other fees so that will be another $530 to a little over a thousand depending on what type of member they are and how they bid.

14. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

There is a old saying about fools and there money ,being soon departed:rolleyes:

15. ebfabman

ebfabman

Damn, missed it by $200. Oh well better luck next time :)

16. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

This just keeps getting better.

First it is all about the car isn't worth much and now it will be about how this buyer overpaid.

I get all this without a cable bill. :)

Neal

17. metalman

metalman

Wow, brought more then I expected. That's auctions for ya!

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Freedom of speech??? Not sure really,I actually wasnt comparing at all in the post you qouted me on as I was just talkin 50 mercs and/or auctions and just so happens that copart was also selling the 50 merc in the post you quoted me on also today and just mentioned it as a coincidence.

I will admit I also genrally like oranges better than apples but I dont limit myself to only oranges because I like them better;)

19. I would like to see some good detailed pics of the damage as this car comes apart . I would really like to see how severe the floor pan and frame at the cowl is damaged.

20. ebfabman

ebfabman

My guess is the build or repair won't be made public because the buyer won't want the experts telling him how much he overpaid for it.

21. Squablow

Squablow

More than I would have paid, but I didn't get to see it in person. Probably still worth it If the drivetrain looked like it was all going to be salvageable, and to a guy with the right tools and access to the needed parts.

22. oldolds

oldolds

The ins pay-off was $39k, it sold for $10.3. Without gettin the calculator out it looks like about 26%. Ins co. did ok on that one usually they hope for 20% recovery. Still gives the guy about $25k to get it back on the road.

23. desotot

desotot

I have heard of a tupperware merc that has absorbed over $300,000.00.

24. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Let me make it clearer he over paid 5,000 to 8,000 too much!:cool:

25. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Maybe the buyer was the previous owner, or a friend and knows that car better than any of us and bought it for that reason rather than just to build it and flip it.

26. ebfabman

ebfabman

Maybe the buyer won the lottery and doesn't care how much things cost. He might like to build wrecks.

27. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Personally, Id like to meet the buyer and see if he would be interested in funding a couple of builds.
    To me there are better starts to a project, but maybe the buyer all ready has what he needs to make it right. Obviously the buyer has a reason for spending the amount they did, we may never know what it was though. Heck for all we know, it might be for a movie prop...

28. If it was a high quality restoration before the wreck, he got a deal. If it is a mudded over rust bucket he paid 10 times what it's worth. Funny how everyone guesses at value of these things. I'd never even think about buying a finished car, wrecked or not without seeing it on a hoist.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bet it was someone who already has a frame and front sheetmetal.

30. daddio211

daddio211

I get that everyone puts a different value on the car, but what I DON'T get is why a few think they need to push their perceived Merc value upon others. Seriously, is this junior high?

Maybe it's worth $1000 to one guy and $25,000 to another. Who gives a shit what the other guy thinks?

I followed this from the very beginning and have read every single comment. I figured it'd sell for $12,000 so I wasn't too far off, but who am I to tell anyone else what it's worth to THEM?

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383