Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. tragic59

tragic59

2. Awesome looking engine - please send more pics, as they will motivate/ help me get mine back together and looking sharp! What kind of generator did you put on? Is it a 12v conversion, because it doesn't look quite OEM?!

3. Thanks, but you should know it was your blog on stuffing a small block into your '50 that got me thinking and scheming on shoehorning a hemi or poly into my '49. Per your example, I'm also looking for an old rear end from a mid-60's valiant, so it will be able to take the extra torque the poly motor will be putting out!

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good man!! Keep going! :D

5. pickupman55

pickupman55

it's a regular GM alternator.

6. pickupman55

pickupman55

here are some more

Attached Files:

7. pickupman55

pickupman55

and a few more

Attached Files:

8. Great pics. Did you paint the whole engine in one shot? I like the alternator on there - I plan on converting the beast to 12v very shortly. I'm tired of the anemic 6v starter, the weak headlights, and the ancient wiring.

I'll let you know how the Offy 2x2 works out on the Hyfire. Dan at Exeter Auto Supply may still have one laying around... or you might have to wait another decade for Offy to do another run! Yipes!

9. George

George

You sure about that?:confused:

10. Uhhh... well, I'm not positive, but several folks on this esteemed board have told me they should bolt up without much fuss (might need to swap or modify input shafts). If you know otherwise, please let me know!!! I'm still looking for a 3spd OD so I can get some highway speeds out of Big Blue!

11. DMFB

DMFB

I've never seen one, but I've heard they have the potential to be absolute beast. Definitely a cool lookin motor. Great score!

12. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Wow-wee pete, that is really impressive how much you've done to this motor! Im sure glad it went to a good home!

you gotta invite me over when you fire it off.

13. Heck yeah, we're gonna have a party when I kick that bad boy over! I'm going to the machine shop at lunch today - evidently the pistons came in and they were finish honing the block. Bob was in the back trimming on the heads and setting up the valve job! Suhweeeettt! I'd love to be able to pick her up early next week, even if she's just garage art for a while.

14. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

It may be just garage art for a while, but it'll be pretty garage art for sure!

15. The new Egge pistons were in when I stopped by after work today. Whoo whee, were they sexy! They even had .030 stamped into the face, just in case you needed to know they were custom jobbies. Well worth the wait. They'll weigh them and fit them individually, but Bud says the Egge pistons are never more than a few grams off being clones - spendy, but good!

16. Recovering from Billetproof NW today. Boy did I get cooked yesterday! It was beautiful, but I wasn't so liberal with the lotion, and I paid for it. Today, we did some indoor crafts.

Good news: got all the tin painted for the engine, when she comes back from the machine shop. I have included the before and after pics - there's a lot of elbow grease on top of the hot tanking and sand blasting. The metal looks soooo much better with the right (period and hue) paint on them.

Bad news: as I was prepping the exhaust for some Hi-temp paint, and discovered a fatal problem. Yup - a thru and thru crack. Ugh! Progress has ground to a halt until I find some fitting substitutes. CRAP!!!

My next project is waiting in the wings... got a Scarebird disc conversion for when I get back from leave!

Attached Files:

17. pickupman55

pickupman55

yeah, the motor was painted all at once at the shop that rebuilt it. PM me the phone number for Exeter when you can.

18. pickupman55

pickupman55

nevermind, i see that they are an Alliance Vendor.

19. My twin Stromberg 97's arrived with the UPS man yesterday. The wife told me there is also a generator sitting at the PO, waiting for pickup. I am all the way on the other side of the country, taking the kids to grandma's place, so they'll have to wait until I get home in a few weeks. Sigh... project Hyfire is on Summer hiatus. Maybe she'll send me a picture of the stroms if I ask nicely! :D

20. I have a good wife - not only did she go to the PO to pick up the starter, but she took pics of the two Strombergs that the UPS man dropped off yesterday.

:)

Both of them will need a full on disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild... but the idea of having them perched on that Offy intake atop the Hyfire makes me smile.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  21. Thanks - call it youthful ignorance/exuberance, but I'm having fun rebuilding this with my son. I think he needs to learn how to use his hands, and this is a great way for him to learn. It may break me, but I'll have a good time doing it!

22. I returned from two wonderful weeks at home in VA, drinking beer and eating crabs caught right out of the river (red neck living at its finest) and am recharged and ready to get cracking on the Hyfire again. I have the Strombergs, and mocked them up on the Offy intake this evening. They both look so nice, even without having been rebuilt. I'll take them apart this weekend and start cleaning everything up. I have the rebuild kits standing by for when my son gets back from grandma's house. Every 9 year old should learn how to rebuild a Stromberg 97, right? Oh... and the machine shop has the short block ready to go! This weekend, the Hyfire Project kicks back into action.

Attached Files:

23. sololobo

sololobo

What up Dog423, Your thread renewed my interest in staying after my poly project, was a little bummed out and starting to give up. Thanks!! Onward and upward!! Your Mopar pal, ~Sololobo~

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  24. Huskinhano

Huskinhano

Kwel! I understand that Hemi heads will bolt on to the Poly motors. I read some time ago that the Poly head came to be was that the Hemi was just too expensive to build. Chrysler was looking for a way to make a less expensive V8 without a lot of re-tooling. The Poly head was from what I understand, to be able to bolt onto a Hemi block saving a lot of money.

Don't know if it's true but might be worth looking into.

25. George

George

that's basicly it. Change heads, pistons, push rods & ex mans. There have been reports of push rod clearance problems when converting to hemi.

26. Sololobo - aka lone wolf - glad your interest is rekindled. I have had a nonstop series of visitors parading thru the house, and last weekend the wife was on shift, so I had the kids by myself... but I'm back on track for this weekend. I have been rotating pieces of Strombergs thru the solvent tank all week - letting them have a good 24hr soak in some gnarly stuff - Mac's solvent - and then we get busy with teaching the BEvERage & Tool Fetcher (my 9yo son) how to rebuild a carb!!

Yee haw!

27. Yup - They're interchangeable (with some tweaking). In fact, there's a 241 Poly at the machine shop right next to my Hyfire block, and he is getting some Hemi heads bolted on after the short block gets a thorough "going thru" - gonna make a sweet little motor.

28. All the carb parts are soaked... and I'm stopping by the machine shop on the way home this afternoon to pick up whatever is ready. The weather has turned to poo here in WA (cloudy and cold), so I intend to spend the weekend wrenching!

29. FLAT6

FLAT6

I noticed that you sand blasted your oil pan, a word of caution: if there are any baffles in the pan or any crevices that could trap particulate you must remove the baffles and clean the area to prevent blast media from being sucked through your oil system. It is considered bad practice to blast the inside of oil pans or covers that face inward on the engine, as any little crack or crevice that can hold particulate will and it will destroy your oil pump and possibly the lower end if you don't have a full flow oil system. Just something to keep an eye on. The build looks awesome though, I hope the best for you.

Mike

30. Mike - thanks for the word of caution. There are no baffles in the pan, and I cleaned her out for a fare-the-well - got in all the little crevices with solvent, a bronze brush, and chased all the grunge out with high-pressure air. Still, I plan on re-inspecting it before I put her back together, just because sh*t happens. Hell, by the time I get this motor put back together, there could be a colony of mud dauber wasps living in the oil pan!!