Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Awesome ... I am sure you are excited about getting it done!!

2. More teaser pics from Dan as he gets the Hyfire ready to run.

Attached Files:

3. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Bout damn time Pete!

4. Dizzy came back rebuilt with its new Pertronix guts today. The block is at the machinist getting recleaned and a light hone, and he will redo the exhaust valve seats (last machinist merely knurled the guides instead of replacing them). A few more pieces to go, and the Hyfire might come back to life....finally.

5. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

This is great .. you must be excited!

Engine looks good too!

6. Dizzy teaser pic from Dan -
    testy old dual points are no more. ImageUploadedByTJJ1347070644.581805.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. 4msfam

4msfam

I got the Pertronix electronics for my 273... what else was done with the distributer rebuild?
    Great build btw!

8. Thanks - this has been a saga, but it'll be worth it!

As for the dizzy - Pertronix installed, vacuum advance eliminated (so no holes in my Offy 2x2 intake), recurved, cleaned up, and painted...basically coming back looking like it did (or better) when it came off the assembly line in 1955. :cool:

9. Hyfire

Hyfire

The engine is looking great. Congrats, the hard work is paying off.

That alternator looks out of place... But those exhaust manifolds look really good!

10. Sigh...I know I'm gonna take flak for the alternator...but have to balance cost, reliability, and driveability. Maybe after I hit the lottery, I can afford one of those alternators inside a genny housing (PowerGen?). They don't exactly give those things away. Besides - upgrading to the 12v conversion was expensive enough :eek:

11. Hyfire

Hyfire

Don't let that discourage you, it's an easy change down the line. You look to be making huge progress.

It's going to be a great car....

12. Glad to see you are making progress on the Plymouth.

I have been driving the gas truck all summer, about 4,000 miles so far.
    The 270 poly. eng. runs great. Was getting about 10 mpg, w/stromberg 3x2 set up. Changed the center carb. jets from .048 to .045, getting 15-16 now.
    Bob

Attached Files:

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Awesome to see this car getting worked on once more!

Hey pete, were shy quite a few bishops now. WE could use you back overhere!

14. Dang ALLSTEEL - that truck looks great! Thanks for the hint on bumping up the mileage. I'm only gonna run a 2x2, so let's hope I can get your mileage or better (at least after I quit putting my foot thru the floor).

Marty - I miss the PNW and my Bishops so bad it isn't even funny. Maybe Uncle Sam will send me back out there for one last ride.

15. 73RR

73RR

...just how long until you park the pickle suit for good?

16. I'm at 17.5 years now... 2.5 more in the club, and I am eligible to hang it up.

17. Guess what just came back from the machine shop?!?!
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348789953.401553.jpg

18. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

19. dubcee

dubcee

I probably have heads to make that a hemi, if your interested and know what you want , PM me

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man, cool factor could go thru the roof!

21. Thanks dubcee - I've had multiple opportunities to snag Hemi heads for this motor, and have passed each time. Yeah, I know....all the cool kids are doing it, but I kinda like my half year only motor with sawtooth valve covers. Not everyone has one of those under their hood. :D Besides, after all the machine work I have sunk into this baby, it would be a shame to jump ship now. Maybe I'll change my mind in a few years and yank the motor to throw on some Hemi heads... But right now, I'm gonna go with what I've got.

22. 73RR

73RR

No doubt that you will have plenty of folks scratching their heads when you open the hood. They simply are not that common in the hot-rod world. Besides, I expect you'll be plenty happy with the power level and a swap to Hemi status would not add much.

Sua Sponte

23. I drove my Poly Eng. truck to The Back To The Bricks Show in Flint MI. Over 3,000 cars & trucks, I had the only Poly. there.

The same at the N.S.R.A. show in Kz. MI.

And the great thing is, people ask what the hell is it where ever I go.

You made a good choice, stick with it.
    Bob

24. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

X3 :D ... If a few more chime in they may not be so rare :cool: :D

25. Yeah, but Bob...your engine is sick looking with the orange block, silver valve covers and that :eek: crazy 3x2 intake! I bet you have fun catching old codgers staring at that thing and puzzling over those valve covers...or young guys telling their girls "that's a '58 small block with some of those flapadoodle heads, machined out of a solid block of hammer forged unobtainium!" Yup...I know I'm going to enjoy that part when we get her all put back together right!

26. Somebody's about to get put back together again!
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1349471052.690788.jpg

Attached Files:

27. Progress! Go Dan, Go!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349484256.518710.jpg

28. ND Hyfire

ND Hyfire

Wolfhound your journey has been amazing. I just snagged a '55 Ply with a Hyfire from a field in ND. Can't wait to see your finished product. Best of Luck from a fellow brother in arms.

29. Thanks ND! I should have been done with this years ago if not for repeated deployments, PCS moves, and some questionable machine work... but everything comes together in the end. I just can't wait to get Big Blue all back together and on the road! We have ice cream cones to fetch and HAMB events / car shows to attend.

30. More pics from Dan... Oh my GOD! Tell me that motor doesn't look AMAZING!
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1349833595.390886.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349833623.654117.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349833687.115987.jpg

I'm breathing hard just looking at pictures!