Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Look what followed me home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod428, Aug 8, 2017.

1. hotrod428

hotrod428

I picked up this 1953 Courier the other day, like I need another project. I was told it was built back in the 70s in California and driven back to Wisconsin. It had been sitting here in a garage for over 30 years. There is a little rust on the rockers and lower quarters but its mostly pretty solid.

IMG_20170801_130123032.jpg IMG_20170801_130143823.jpg IMG_20170801_130206078.jpg IMG_20170801_173305189_HDR.jpg

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That isn't a puppy, but it is bitchin'. Plans?

belair likes this.
  3. My thoughts would be to leave the body as is and just go through the mechanicals and drive the wheels off it

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

That is the correct answer

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. belair

belair

I love sedan deliveries. Great score.

6. Reminds me of Neubaum's Pie Wagon on Hollywood Nights! Cool car!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

56longroof likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn strays! Great score!

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

If you want it to stay, just feed it some money

Torkwrench and belair like this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Are panels and deliveries picking up in popularity? just commented on one maybe last week and then again just few minutes ago, and this also caught my attention and clicked on it before I even knew what it was......Im usually not to wild about deliveries (although I do like em ok) and I did see a pretty good lookin red 55 chev delivery a friend is workin on the other day and It did spark my interest a little more than normal:cool:

10. Nice '53.What's been done so far?

11. 52-54 Fords have really become popular in the last 10 years and the delivery's are no exception.

They make great looking rides. HRP

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I have heard that these fords were more of the cats meow than some, back in the day, before 55,56,57 whatevers came along and eventually became more accessible to the common joe or hot rodder.

13. The '52-'54 Fords were the neglected redheaded stepchild in the Ford lineup for many years,the Fords through 51 have always been popular as is the 55 and up.

For years the aftermarket manufactures overlooked these cars but people like Tom Hoskins,the founder of the 54 Ford Club of America,started in 1986 made a small blip on the radar and sites like the Hamb helped elevate awareness of this often over looked segment of the cars .

The only problem is the guys like myself that have had a interest in them since we were kids are having to shell out more to find a decent project today. HRP

Atwater Mike likes this.
  14. williebill

williebill

Cool score. Add chrome bumpers to your list of things to do.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right you are, Danny. After the loss of my '56 convert, I took delivery of a '54 Ford Customline Coupe, along with a '56 Merc, with a 312 and a stick.
    Brakes, rear end, eng., trans, all out of the Merc went into my '54 Coupe. Merc lug pattern was 5 on 5", so '56 Buick wheels fit. That Coupe looked 'businesslike', I put Firestone Darlingtons on, big & littles. Looked 'tough'.
    Some jerk stole it a month after I got it on the road...Fast... Never saw it again.
    Replaced it actually 10 times... All California cars. Last one was a gift from #1 son, Fathers Day, 1991.
    Just getting to it now...406 a-building, R.A.T. BW heavy 3 speed, 4.11 rear, 9".
    Son and I picked him up a '56 Club Sedan day before yesterday...It'll get a 390 FE, he sold his '54 Ford Coupe...

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Darn your LUCKY I am trying to trade my 56 Chrysler for a station wagon.You lucky dog!!! LOL Bruce. 002.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A older guy near me who later got into tri five chevys is one of the places I heard that they were the one guys wanted back when he was young, It may have just been a territorial thing???

18. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Back then most around here didn't travel far to buy or trade cars, over 50 miles or so away was a major trip just to cruise the lots to check what was available.

I remember them as being around in the early '60's but not high popularity/demand like the early iron, tri 5, or early emerging factory muscle stuff. Made a couple of 54's affordable for me as DD's then. Cousins had a '52 Merc hardtop with a '53 Lincoln overhead for a short time until they both joined the Marines. Others were pretty much DD's for everyone.

Ed

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Cool find. The "Feeling Free 53" and Fascination/pinstriping do look early/mid 70's Van craze inspired.
    Any signature on the pinstriping work? One of us long time Californians might recall the striper.

20. hotrod428

hotrod428

I didn't see any signature on the lettering. As much as I would like to save the striping but there is enough bodywork needed that I don't think it's possible to save it. It originally had a small block Ford 289 or 302 in it. I got a 351w with the car so I will probably use that. As soon as I get my 49 two door on the road I will start on the delivery.

21. Packrat

Packrat

I like it! I agree with some of the others, I'd leave the body pretty much as is. The striping is cool! Find a grille and some bumpers and drive it.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker