Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what drove (floated) past my house!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roupe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Roupe

Roupe

Looked out the window last weekend and saw an Amphicar drive by. I haven't seen one in the water for about 15 years. 70mph on the road and 7mph in the water. Here is a link to the history of the Amphicar if any one is interested.
    http://www.amphicar.com/history.htm

Attached Files:

2. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

thats just crazy

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I've always thought they were cool. Goofy but cool. I knew of one when I was a teenager (I'm 27) that I could've got for a couple grand. Should've got it.

4. rab71

rab71

There was a car show in your neck of the woods. You must live in Beloit?

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Go rent Pontiac Moon, you'll like it, an Amphibicar figures prominently as does a really nice Pontiac 'vert. '51 I think.

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Too cool! When I was growing up in Manitoba one of my dad's friends had one. He drove it all over town, but I only saw it in the water once. We were on a lake in our boat when my dad spotted him. We pulled up along side and I got to crawl over the side to ride around a bit on the lake. I was about 10 years old and thought it was the coolest thing!

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

I will own one of those one day...

that, and a 50's isetta

8. rustysconny

rustysconny

I wonder if that's the same one I used to see puttering around the St Croix by Stillwater all the time.

9. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

A friend of mine had 2 of those things for a while...white and red...the white one always was broken...we eventually sank the red one.
    M.

10. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

That's one of the cars on my "must have someday list." They were fairly reasonable until a couple of years ago when one went for a pretty penny at B.J. Now everyone wants top dollar for them.

Doc.

11. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I know where one is in a junkyard in Arizona. I'm sure he wants top dollar for it.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

LBJ loved to take visitors to the ranch for a ride, then make a sudden turn into a pond! Laughing all the way!

13. Roupe

Roupe

The one in the pictures lives in Hartland, WI.

14. awesome, I always saw one sitting up when I was a kid, early 70's, old faded blue and I never stopped to ask about it. sad, I'll probably never find another.

15. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

There was one on tv on a local program called carolina traveler. The guy said he bought it for under $50 (can't remember exactly what it was) from a junkyard in the late 60s. he tried it out and it sank in seconds. he has now restored it and took it out on a local lake and got on tv with it. It was his first trip on water and it ran good but was slow. everyone had to pull up their boats and talk to the guy.

16. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

You wou wouldbe screwed if you unthinkingly opened the door when you pulled up to the dock!

Those cars are one of those things that are definately weird but you cant help but like them.

Still wierd though!

17. Offy

Offy

There is an annual antique wooden boat show in Mt Dora, FL. They had a parade over land & water for 'em this past year. They had about a dozen and sank nary a one. One guy did try rather hard going off the boat ramp into the water at speed though, every crowd has one.

18. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Cool, but it gives me the willies - I'd be too busy wondering if my doorseals would hold up