Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long trip (and i mean LONG) this winter... good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old-Soul, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Mooosman

Mooosman

Making the trip in a new car = just another long commute.

Making the trip in an old car = memories of an adventure that will stay with you for a long while.

Years from now, your kids or grandkids will not want to hear how you rented a brand new car (or took your near-new truck) and drove to California! They won't care!

Join AAA and buy the best deal they have. I think they'll tow up to 100 miles if you're a member. It might come in handy.

Nick

2. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Do it! I did this two years ago and will do it again when I come back to the US. Here's the thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48219

Spending a few weeks on the road exploring cleared my head a little and gave me memories that will last forever; and debts that lasted two years :D

My advice? Have a goal to reach, an event to go to, people to visit. Take your time. Find out ahead of time the cool things to see and do along the way. Pull off somewhere and do something.

Watch your spending. And your speed.

I did it in my '96 Mustang GT convrtible; My Ipod was hard-wired into the Alpine sound system so I had music. No mechanical problems of any kind, and I didn't miss them. I don't know what I'll be driving this time since I don't have a car now; I'm thinking whatever I can buy for about $1000 that gets good gas mileage and has room for my stuff. It's the journey that matters!