Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lokar Shifters What your Opinion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.coupe, Apr 23, 2008.

1. I have a Lokar shifter in the roadster pickup. It was a bit tricky to get the safty switch adjusted when I built the car 4 years ago, but it has never given me any trouble, no noise, and never pops out of gear. I like it.---Brian

2. fatabone

fatabone

I've used a few with no problems and had a couple that did have issues. One after about a year the small metal piece that locks the shifter out broke the tab off the end so it wouldn't lock out. It was set up correctly and I didn't have to force it to shift or lock. On the other the threads broke off at the shifter handle and this was a new shifter just installed. It had the adaptor and both were the 23 inch nostalgia shifters. The others I didn't have problems with were single bend shifters but both nostagia shifters had issues. Lokar has replaced the parts on both shifters but they did send a shifter handle that was slightly longer than the broken one and I needed a detent cable also since the other was to short. I'm sure they would replace the neutral safety switch if you called and maybe its an issue they should look into.

3. donzzilla

donzzilla

I put one in my wife's '56 Buick Gasser. After 3 attempts to fix the neutral saftey switch. I disconnected it. The thing that drives me crazy is the shifter lever moves and the knob rotates all by it's self. I have taken it apart, jammed the jam nut against it harder, applied loctite and it still turns around. It's hard to get it in park unless the wind is blowing the right way.If you don't cut the floor within a fart skin around the shifter you can't get the trim ring on. I'm thankfull that it doesn't rattle.

On the other hand I put one of their automatic passing gear kick down kits on it and it works fine.
    Don

4. Bull

Bull

That is one thing I don't like about my Gennie. There is no real positive "detent" for each gear -- it just sort of glides between gears. I've bumped it out of gear before too. Luckily just into neutral or down to 2 and not into reverse.

5. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Von Zipper cool set-up looks like a 66 chevy pick-up...

6. Racrdad

Racrdad

I'm happy with mine. I was going to buy the cable shift but when I called Lokar with a few questions the guy told me not to buy a cable shift and really pushed me towards the mechanical linkage shifters. So based upon that I thought he was probably aware of some issues with the cable shifts, glad I listened to him.

7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I like mine. It's a 16" 700r4 model. It is installed correctly and functions flawlessly. It had a vibraton that was caused by the push button making contact with the shift knob. After I figured out what was buzzing I took a small amount off from around the button and all is now well.

8. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Vintage 60s B&M
    got one in my 52 works fine love it

9. The one in my 28 works great until the temp gets below 40 degrees than the button sticks. I guess the grease on the cable gets to thick. also when I broke the transmission mount the neutral switch hit the floor and broke off the leads took me a while to find that problem. carlg

10. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I agree with Von Zipper. I have the same set-up in the same truck (55-59). It has worked great for 3 years now.Never had a rattel either.. I just followed the destructions..... Ha HA

11. sawzall

sawzall

as did I .. no problems with the safety switch..

however I have found that adjusting these shifters is a pain in the arse..

it seems like theres a "sweet spot" where everything works well..

and finding it has been akin to a GUESSING GAME

sawzall

fwiw..

prior to the lokar.. i had a gennie in the same car.. I didnt like the lack of lockout..

12. 067chevy

067chevy

Wouldn't buy anything but a Gennie.

13. The safety switch has always been simple using the set up tool they give you and an ohm meter. But mine rattles and I have to keep a hand on it to stop it. Love the looks but will do a column shift next time.