Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Locked out Vertex Mag on the street- Yes or No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 427 sleeper, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Do you know anyone who has a pair of holleys you can borrow? Or check out ebay for a few holley #4776 carbs, you can run them inline if you swap out the bowls to the smaller side hung type. Or turn the carbs sideways, but that will require bell crank linkage.

mad mikey and 427 sleeper like this.
  2. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

We've always used locked out ignition on methanol fuelled drag race engines with a total timing that gave us the best MPH without compromising ET.

3. iagsxr

iagsxr

I feel like this combination is begging for nitrous.

Maybe not with 44 degrees of timing though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the 2-450's that came with the tunnel ram, but was never really impressed with them either. I suppose I could put them back on and keep messing with them too, I just don't want to do too many things at once. Problem is, I have to wait 'till spring to road test all this.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm with Mark, that's a lot of timing for a sbc. I'm also thinking it could be carburetion. What DO the plugs look like? That engine with that compression and that cam and those gears should be in the waking up period at 6,000 rpm. Lippy

6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now, to be honest, they look like shit! :( I've been moving the car in and out of the shop to work on other project's for the last couple of months, never getting it warm or driving it to clean everything up. I'm surprised I haven't lost a few plugs yet! :confused: My apologies. :oops:

7. Why would you do that when your problem is the heavy ass flywheel you stuck in there? :D:p

mad mikey, 427 sleeper and Moriarity like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No, NO, need more gear!!

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need' s more Cowbell!!! :D

10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I shouldn't worry about the carb's or the timing-It's just the friggin' flywheel?! :rolleyes: Lloyd... you're a Southern Fried Genius! :D:p I knew I should'a asked you in the first place! LMAO :D:cool:;)

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In all seriousness, I would like to stuff a 5.57 in it just for shit's and giggle's! :cool::D

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just want to thank everyone that weighed in. You've given me a few things to consider, and I apprieciate that! Will report my finding's when the weather breaks and I can road test the changes, this is when I wish I lived somewhere in the Southwest US! Thanks again Fellas!

Kelly Burns, chevy57dude and G-son like this.
  13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

In racing and with a blower, there are 48volt blower starters that turn the engine over that dont stop regardless of whether the timing is 4*-12*-20*-35* or 50*. Older race cars were push started and the same applies. IF the block starter is not up to par or the voltage is too low, with lots of timing the engine could/can kick back. By adding an advance curve to lower start timing reduces the chance of kicking back