Register now to get rid of these ads!

Locked out of my 64 Merc trunk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barstowpo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. barstowpo

barstowpo

So the key has decided it no longer wants to unlock my trunk. i can get it to turn, but it doesn't do anything. Any suggestions to get in? It does not look like I can get there through the back seat. I don't want to mess up the tail light panel.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Umm........locksmith?

3. finn

finn

I crawled into the trunk through the back seat of the Family '61 Ford when the keys got locked in while on vacation, way back in 1962. Only took a couple of minutes.

I was 11 at the time, but it can be done.

We removed the rear seat back. I assume it is the same design in your Merc since they share virtually the same body shell.

Are you the same size as an 11 year old?

4. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

like finn stated , remove the back seat , should be able to use a couple socket extensions and you should be in

5. Taking out back seat is easy option,go for it.

6. Did you try pushing down on the trunk lid while turning the key? Is the trunk
    lid in good alignment with the body......you could try gently pushing it to one
    side, then the other with a large screwdriver. Sometimes those lock things
    bind. However, if your tumbler is messed up.......that can be another
    problem altogether. Have you tried putting any graphite lock lubricant into
    the tumbler as the things inside sometimes bind. '

Otherwise trying to get at it via removal of the rear seat is about the
    only other option.

If the trunk floor was totally rusted out, you could just reach up thru
    the floor.

7. stimpy

stimpy

unless you have a steel fire wal lbetween the trunk and passenger compartment the seat removal is the bst bet , otherwise you might have to punch the lock to open it , you peel the chrome covers off it and drill the center section out , or use a large flatblad screwdriver to get it . if the tumber turns then the tail of the lock broke off and you have to punch it or try to open it from the inside with a small flatblade screwdriver

8. If you have rear speakers in the parcel shelf remove them and use a pole with a nail in the end , worked for me..

9. I wish the PO of my Galaxie had gotten some better advice. They punched the trunk lock out and tweaked the panel at the same time. Send a kid (or grand kid) in through the back seat sounds good if the graphite doesn't work.

So dumb I had to pull down my pants to count to 21

10. big M

big M

Assuming your car is a fastback '64, you can get in through the opening beneath the package tray, once you remove the seat. You will have to crawl all the way into the trunk, and remove the two bolts that hold the trunk catch and raise the lid open.

If your car is a Breezeway model, you will find that the retractable rear window box blocks all access from behind the seat. These can be removed, but I do not recommend it if you've never done it before. It can be a several hour job for a pro.

It sounds as though your lock cylinder to actuator connection has failed, allowing the lock to turn and not spring the latch. In this case, you will need to drill out the cylinder to get the lid open. Unfortunately, these deck locks are scarce, and usually expensive if you do find one.

---John

11. Once you get in and see what's going on Stan the Ford man will have what ever you need in used parts. That is if what you have can't be fixed by a locksmith.
    Stan the Ford man 360-687-1216
    The Wizzard

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Should be able to get in by removing the rear seat and unbolting the latch from the lid as others have said. Gather up all the socket extensions you can find. Tape them together so they don't fall apart.

13. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

just so you know i have an extra deck lock . incase you have to drill out yours.

14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

just realized i dont have the key for it. ... im sure i can have a lock smith here make a key if needed

Attached Files:

15. I just re read your opening statement. How did you get from there to not having any key?

16. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Well i have other parts like handle lock cylinders and they have keys, but had forgotten this part did not. That's how....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Got it now. Are you aware the glove box door key should be the same as the trunk lock?
    The Wizzard

18. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

yes , but this was a spare part from another car i bought on a package deal a while back.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You still locked out?

20. barstowpo

barstowpo

i want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I did get in through the back seat. I'm not as small as I was when I was 11, but close enough. A lock smith was able to get the lock cylinder working again. It is really worn though. I did have to remove the catch from the deck lid to get it open. My trunk is probably rusty enough to go in that way too. I was worried about falling through but the fuel tank was there as a safety net.

21. big M

big M

Glad to hear you got the problem resolved. Might be a good idea to get a replacement cylinder re keyed and ready to go, though.

---John

22. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

here is the emblem

Attached Files:

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

the switch

Attached Files:

24. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

ok i got the correct one this time. correct pins and number matching for 64 merc 2 speed.

Attached Files: