Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Locator Pin Needed for Leaf Springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Notch1988, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Notch1988

Notch1988
    from Alberta

My '29 Essex doesn't have holes in the spring to locate a rearend and I don't have any plans of drilling any unless someone tells me otherwise. I ASSume they're there simply to locate the diff and not a safety concern ie - if the u-bolts/bottom plate were to slip? I don't see that happening plus I'll be building caltrac style bars which would limit movement if the u-bolts/plate did let go/slip.
    Thoughts?

2. JonF

JonF

I think you still need a bolt through the spring with the head of the bolt locating the axle tube and also preventing the rear from rotating. I don't know how Essex did it. You can drill the leaves with a slow turning bit and white wood glue.

rmcroadster and olscrounger like this.
  3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'd like to see what the original suspension configuration looked like, compared to what you have now, before commenting.
    Got any photos...before and after???

4. oldolds

oldolds

I am going to guess that the reason there are no locating holes in the Essex springs is because there wasn't enough power or traction to move the rear on the springs if it was tight. With more power and bigger tires for traction there is more chance you will slide the rear on the springs.

olscrounger likes this.

5. It's not a chance of sliding - it will slide - maybe not right away but probably at an inopportune time. the locating pin has become a standard practice for a reason.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The locating pin (spring bolt ) holds the lraf spring together just as much as it locates the axle on the spring. I've got to ask, what holds your leaf springs together?
    On page 12 it lists a center bolt for the rear spring That would also be the "locater pin"

http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1929/1929EssexPartsListJuly.pdf

The car did come with a torque tube so the setup may not appear to have a center bolt for some reason