Register now to get rid of these ads!

location of vin number on 46 Ford pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old4dlvr, Apr 14, 2011.

1. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Could some one help me with the location of the vin number on the frame of a 1946 Ford pickup . Please

2. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Can't say for a "true fact" on a '46, but all later ones have it stamped on the top of the frame rail, just behind the front axle, on the passenger side. Usually takes a fair amount of scraping and wire-brushing.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pre-48 Ford pickups and pre-49 cars have the serial number stamped on the top of the driver's side frame rail at the front crossmember near the rivets (38-47 pickups and 37-48 cars), on top of the rail near the steering box (32-37 pickups and 32-36 cars), again on top of the frame rail under the body near the rear post of the front door and again at the rear crossmember over the rear near the rivets. The number is also stamped on the transmission bell housing above the inspection plate hole.

4. 2x, I had to grind about five coats of paint and one layer of rust before I found mine, use a sanding disk on the last layer. Wire brush the area and apply a layer of paint, then wipe it off right away and the VIN stamping will show....mine was along the outer edge just where the frame starts to flatten out.

5. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Thanks for the info we found it just as we were about to give up .