Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Living in the past, it ain't so bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 23, 2018.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I get a lot of comments from "proper" people about my not growing up and my old car addiction. Like I could give a shit what they think. My wife has been fine with it for over 48 years now and she is the only one I have to keep reasonably happy. It is mandatory that my drivers, even OT ones, get duals that make heavenly sounds almost as soon as I bring them home so I get a lot of questions if I am 16 or 66. I do leave my wifes late model Buick driver alone and that keeps me pretty well in her good graces.

Keep working on your sister Danny, maybe some day she will trade that Beemer for a hot rod with REAL class;)

VANDENPLAS, wicarnut, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  2. My Dad once asked me when was I going to quit playing with cars. He only asked the one time and I think he really did get it, it just wasn't his thing.

That was a nice story about your sister HRP, it made me smile; I like to smile. :)

Deuces, chryslerfan55, raven and 2 others like this.
  3. Been there all my life, cherish my grandparents stuff/time more then my own. I'm like a black hole for old stuff, sucking in the people close to me.

Deuces, egads, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had my Missus, Mother, Sister, Cousin, Step Cousin Hamber's Scruff, Baumi and His Buddy...also a Hamber (can't recall his handle) all out for a road run in the Ole Hotrod. I didn't generate any tire chirping but did step on it a bit and the get go is noticeable...

I know the Hamber's saw it as cool...the others were left with a smile however I doubt any will be investing in a Hotrod of they're own and no ones begging for another cruise but hey that's okay...as eluded by another I live by a modern standard but find the Hotrod to be a form of stepping back to another time and enjoy the experience...lack of comfort and all. That said most of them will be able to claim that they were at the very least in a real unusual vehicle that they had never before experienced...

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

HRP, Kinda reminds me of my favorite quote, A Wiseman, Is only a Fool, With a Good memory... Getting wiser every day ) But I'm probably getting close to the bell curve

Deuces, chryslerfan55, raven and 3 others like this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Grow old, we must.
    Grow up? Not a chance at this age!

mgtstumpy, jigee, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

In my single days I used to pick up a date in one of my old trucks, if they liked it, I figured they were a keeper and would get a second date, if not the date ended early and we parted ways. Its a lifestyle deeply embedded for most of us, I don't get how folks only want to spend money to go on a boat with 1000 other folks, and get somewhat pampered just to say they went and did such things, I guess its the social boasting or something for "status". Most of us who preserve the past, have inspired more kids than some guy in plaid pants playing golf. Picture for reference the only time golf was ever cool.

Society keeps trying to make work with your hands taboo and something that "dumb" people do, well call me dumb with more debts than you can ever pay off and some piece of paper you can never use but cost you 60k.

I like the past, true I was born 40 years too late, but still drink coffee with the old timers most weekends, still love vintage tin and keeping something alive that would have been scrapped by modern society. One of the few things modern society gave us that was this cool website to know we are not alone. Thanks HAMB.....

Attached Files:

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The late Dorothy Sayers said somewhere that all healthy children are eager to grow up. By the source and context I've always interpreted that as, frustrated with having only toy things to play with, and hence impatient to have real things to play with. Otherwise, what would be the point?

I think a lot of us are drawn to a "traditional" paradigm because we sense, more or less articulately, the creeping infantilization of the world we inhabit. Hence we like our cars "unsafe" because that way they could have consequences, which toys can't.

Saxman, Hnstray, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I am 71 years young and my wife keeps asking me how much longer I will continue working and running my business my response is "I am having to much fun to quit now?
    I love what I do and I really enjoy talking to customers about the 60's

Jimbo

10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

HRP, thanks for this thread.as it has been a blessing. When out and about in the 26 coupe I really enjoy the reactions from little kids- they make my day!!!...…….

11. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

Was out with friends the other night. One guy is a big Harley guy and has a 70 GTO. I had my 29 Coupe out and gave his girl friend a ride in it, when we got back she told him I Want One! Nothin' like a ride in a Hot Rod!

wicarnut, woodsnwater, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  12. 62rebel

62rebel

The big question I used to get was "Why don't you buy something you don't have to work on?".... Usually the last question I ever heard from that person regarding how I choose to spend my money and time, because they would get the full explanation of how I feel about "modern cars", debt, and living to suit other people's expectations

13. Most of the "naysayers" have never developed the skills to work on, or repair the old stuff. My Dad was a major motorhead and would collect anything with a piston. Growing up we had a dozen "hit and miss" gas engines, lots of antique outboards, and lots of antique and classic cars and motorcycles. Fortunately he passed this gene on to my brothers and me!

One thing I would find annoying, was friends that would repeatedly ask me to repair their cars saying: "I am not good at that stuff"! I would tell them that I wasn't born with these skills, I learned by doing.

BradinNC, dan griffin, clem and 5 others like this.
  14. As children we grew up & didn't have much in the way of the finer things in life, and as I grew into a teenager I was the black sheep in the family.

It is rare I get to spend any time with my sister and I didn't want to portray her as a snotty person, I am happy she has done well in her life, cars are just a means of transportation for her.

Yesterdays lunch together may have started something we need to do more often, next time I'll drive the wagon, it has more creature comfort, with a interior & air so no more frizzy hair.
    It also has the 302 & 5 speed transmission and can chirp the tires in second & third. :D HRP

mgtstumpy, wicarnut, clem and 6 others like this.
  15. NICE Danny
    I am going to be 84 next month & have been in the Automotive Business
    Most of my Life!
    and I am Still Driving my 50 Merc.
    Most of my Freinds around me all have Hot Rods & they
    range from 67-83 and we all Love it.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Come to think of it, how much you want to bet those who accuse you of "living in the past" like as not live in a fairy tale fantasy world in much of their lives. I could go on all day, but I'd probably get banned. F 'em.

17. Amen Brother! And I’m only 44 years old!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Turbo57

Turbo57

I dont think we cant be to old playing with our oldies :)

Deuces, deadbeat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. 1971 just married so she knew what she was getting!:rolleyes:
    North East RR 007 (2).jpg
    Today, she is still with me and loves this five window too.:cool: Some things never change.;)
    IMG_8873.JPG

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

1971... You guys had orange shag carpeting, I can just tell. Maybe Avocado kitchen appliances? ;)

21. Mark,Barb was a cutie back then but she is a Beauty now! :) HRP

22. 62rebel

62rebel

To be fair, I don't know how to make false teeth or do open heart surgery or program computers. I don't have the education and background for those things. And I can appreciate the effort these people put into their lives to get that profession. I simply choose simpler things.

Deuces, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. Mark just showed me your reply. Thank you so much, a true southern gentleman! Barb

24. Danny, your making it tough for me!:rolleyes:

25. No shag! Harvest gold appliances.:p

26. Been playing with old cars all my life and I wasent even a tickle in my old mans balls in the “ glory days”
    Of hot rodding, always loved them and my wife knows it, gets a kick out of pointing out anything old when we are driving.
    Up at my parents cottage this week end and an old wooden chriscraft was on the water and the wife points it out and say “ your boat wet dream” I just laughed!!!

7414A858-17AD-43E7-A12A-F9BD11F33CE6.jpeg

Just picked this up it was a promotional prop for the movie monster truck, real front end off a 57-58 dodge going to turn it into an outside bar for the back yard !!
    Showed it to the wife, she laughed and said “ I married a car guy, how could I say no!”
    Jeez I love that woman more and more everyday.

My thinking is everyone has a vice of some sort,whether it’s drinking, drugs, gambeling,work a holic,etc etc.

Ours is cars, my wife can always find me in the garage or out at a swap meet or on the computer “ looking for deals “

It’s the best addiction you can have if you ask me!

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I was crawling around under my car yesterday going through drums, trying to find one that wasn't warped and then adjusting brakes (6 clicks worked perfect).. My neighbors half my age (I'm 60) were just sitting on there porches watching me.. They all look like there pregnant for Christ sake and can't even bend down let alone work..

This is more then a hobby for people like us, it's a way of life...

Grow up for what? The old age home, enemas, F that....

Drive that Hot Rod...

jigee, Turbo57, dirty old man and 7 others like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I find it interesting how people with no hobbies or interests find our hobby childish.

jigee, 62rebel, Turbo57 and 10 others like this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well there is enjoying what having an old car represents or there is being fixated on the past as my dad was. Sometimes his fixation with what happened years before got a bit unnerving.
    I've had a rod or custom since I was 16 in 1963 and bought my 51 Merc that I had for 32 years before someone came along with a lot of money when I was in dire need of a lot of money.
    Went for a stretch of over 30 years without a car payment because I would pick up a pretty nice car that needed work and fix it and drive it until I found and fixed one I liked better. Friends with new cars with big payments would sometimes try to give me a hard time about driving a car that was several years old but My answer of "it doesn't have any payments and it doesn't owe me anything" usually hit home with them. That gave me money for the hot rods and more often than not the 48 or my 51 Merc were the daily drivers for years on end.
    My wife and I met in 1969 because of the car I was driving then and have been involved in car related activities together all through our marriage. For her that has always meant road trips and going to fun places in the truck or the Merc. She would sneak the T bucket out on occasion and cruise around town when we had it. Cop even had to help her get gas for it once when she ran out of gas with it with her sister and cousin with her.
    I don't see my having old cars be they hot rods or customs as living in the past even though I prefer traditional rods and customs and old race cars to the modern stuff.
    I never dress up in "costume" as a 60' s teenager when I go anywhere with the old car as I see some do nor do I consider having a hot rod or custom a lifestyle. It's just one part of who I am as a complete person who has many diverse interests.

Dave B., wicarnut, Turbo57 and 7 others like this.
  30. Dwardo

Dwardo

I posted this before but I don't think it went through. I had a friend who lived to be 107. He just passed last year. He didn't care about cars at all, but airplanes were his all-consuming passion and he was well-know in aircraft circles. When he turned 100, he asked me to take him for a motorcycle ride. I was willing, because he was "spry" at the very least, but still I was hesitant. For some reason I did not get around to it and when he turned 104 he started to go downhill to the point where it wasn't a good idea anymore. So, George never got his ride and I still regret that.