Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

While looking for a piece of screen to run sand thru to clean for my sand blaster I came up empty handed.

After spending an hour looking for an alternative I gave up. The next day it hit me so off to the kitchen I went, found the girlfriends flour sifter and out to the garage I went.

A flour sifter worked unbelievable for sifting the sand blast media. Drop in the media and move the handle back and forth works better than trying to make complete circles.

tommyd, Boneyard51, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where did you obtain that, Sir?

loudbang and fauj like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ebay. HH-66 will get you the search results.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The other day I needed to make a Phillip's screw driver (worlds shortest?) and thought you guys may be interested in a tool I use quite a lot. It's a keyless 1/2" chuck with a handle, used to hold short pieces for grinding on the bench grinder.
    After cutting the piece I need, I chuck it up in the tool and dress the end on the grinder. Works great for dressing up the cut ends of small screws, bolts and other smallish stuff. Threading on a nut will enable holding a screw or bolt straight while being clamped in the chuck.
    chuck em up.jpg :)

5. Bjorn Wilsson

Bjorn Wilsson

Got tired of doors n hood for my 40 ford always standing in the wrong place. I welded a frame put some wheels on it. wraped Foam insulation around the tubes and place doors and hood on it, so now I can push it arou 003.jpg 004.jpg nd out of the way

Elcohaulic, brEad, scotty t and 8 others like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

yeah, yeah, yeah '40 Ford doors, blah, blah, blah "40 Ford.........Do you know there is a bitichin' Morris Minor in your shop? :eek:

brEad, scotty t, Daves40 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bjorn Wilsson

Bjorn Wilsson

Thank you, that little Morris has taken me around Sweden for the last 17 years. The 40 ford is my next build, my dreamcar.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good one! Beats grinding your thumbs down!

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Back many yrs ago I would sit on our main Street on Friday and Saturday nights and put stereos into my buddies cars as everyone was cruising main st.

It was a bitch trying to hold the flashlight by myself so what I would do is pull a couple of the instrument lights out of their bezels and let them hang under the dash and then turn on the park lights. Instant lighting! And I could pull several to add more light.

Later dashes had the printed boards but most still ran under dash gauges where I could still pull the lights out of those...

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Having trouble starting after changing a points distributor? Set the timing mark at the advance you want turn on switch and slowly turn the distributor in the opsite of rotation when the coil sparks lock her down.

tommyd, blowby, Boneyard51 and 7 others like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but the next time she makes cornbread, it's gonna be really gritty;)

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

With her cooking I'm not sure I'd notice :D

13. Um.... tip for you (non-garage related)... DON'T let you girlfriend get on the H.A.M.B. and see this!!!

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Gritty cornbread will be the least of your troubles. Yum dear, is this a new brand of corn meal? I just love it and it's brightening my teeth too.:rolleyes:

Truck64, Boneyard51, blowby and 3 others like this.
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How much is it worth to you for me to not tell her you said that?;)

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When you get your hands real dirty/ greasy grab some “ absorb-all” oil dry and mix in with your soap or favorite hand cleaner! It works!

Bones

loudbang, blowby, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Don't loan your wife tools..o_O

18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Lol ! I don't know if she'd expect any different from me !

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

After about 40 years of marriage I bought my wife her own tool set for the house. I went to get a screw driver out of it to save me a hike to the shop and found the box was locked!!! She and I are the only ones that live here. :eek::D

Gizzy, seb fontana, i7083 and 15 others like this.
  20. brading

brading

What make me think she does not trust you in returning tools you borrowed to her box. :)

Six Ball, alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  21. My wife and her daughter had a little project that required some small c-clamps. I pointed them out on the peg board and went on my way, when i check on them i noticed they had found my 0–1” micrometer and used it as a c-clamp!

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the other side of that. I bought my wife some basic tools for household repairs. She has her very own Craftsman tool box with hammer, pliers, assorted screwdrivers and such. I needed to change out a doorknob one day so rather than walk all the way out to the shop, I used the stuff in her toolbox. I'm telling you true, don't borrow your wife's tools, she'll be dogging you nonstop until you bring them back.;):rolleyes:

23. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Saw that same thing happen in my high school shop class!

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Whatever works. :rolleyes:

seb fontana, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  25. phat rat

phat rat

P1050886.JPG P1050887.JPG P1050889.JPG P1050888.JPG P1050887.JPG P1050889.JPG P1050888.JPG Somewhere the other day someone was saying the arm on his cherry picker wasn't long enough. I made this arm for mine and I use it when I need to take a cab/body off my trailer and when I'm putting the 5th wheel hitch in my truck. I also put a long handle on it in order to control it better when moving any distance. The last picture shows the 1/4" strap I wrapped around the main piece so that it won't split. I also made a tray on the back for counter weights

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Ecc412, williebill, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, I can appreciate what you're trying to do but, and this is a big but, looking at your top weld, it's severely undercut creating a weak spot. Another thing I'd do it if were mine would be to stiffen the original arm, especially in the area of the top attachment point of the cylinder. Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to make you aware of the safety factor involved here. There is going to be way more leverage on that point with the extra length and it could buckle.

loudbang likes this.
  27. phat rat

phat rat

Thanks but it's worked fine for years.

loudbang likes this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think the "undercut" is a optical illusion. The top brace doesn't quite butt up to the reinforcing band.
    Carry on!

loudbang and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Good one.

30. If you only need to sling a lighter weight, there is a stock steel size which will slide straight into the end of the generic (Harbour Fright, etc) engine cranes, just needs to be drilled for the pin and the other end for the hook. You can calculate the maximum weight for the extension, and keep in mind where your centre of gravity will be.

Boneyard51, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.