Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hack or Coping saw?

2. Mimilan

Mimilan

Do what my husband does......... When he went to the dentist, he walks out with a dentist pick [that works on locks]
    He also got a stethoscope from a doctors visit as well [ for listening to engines]

3. AGELE55

AGELE55

I also put long lever handles on the sink also!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Does the dentist and doctor know this? Lol
    Actually while going to school that had some tricky o’rings to get at, that’s what they told us to do! See your dentist and get his throw away stuff! It’s better than most anything you can buy!

Bones

loudbang and ABONES like this.
  5. Mimilan

Mimilan

Yes they both know!
    His dentist is a motorcycle racer, so they are quite good friends.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wonder what I could bring home from my proctologist appointment!:eek:

Fingers, Jet96, brEad and 5 others like this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I always have a piece of Tig Tungsten sharpened up for the o ring chore . I use a piece of a dowel rod for a handle .

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

A life time supply of left hand gloves!

Jet96, brEad, 6-bangertim and 11 others like this.
  9. clem

clem

I’ve always used Allen keys, drill a hole, tap in an appropriate size allen key, and turn.
    Never failed yet.

okiedokie, hammer-time and Copper Top like this.
  10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Doug,
    How do I get Scotch out of a keyboard?

Jet96, 61Cruiser, BJR and 1 other person like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

With your tongue!:eek:

Jet96, Hamtown Al, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  12. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

A pair of used gloves?

loudbang likes this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If he is reusing gloves like some of these guys you could bring home a lot of things. None of which you really want. :(

cktasto, BJR and loudbang like this.
  14. zz29

zz29

Just did that the other day!!! How do you store the tops when not on the car is my question.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is a Rodtops top. Pretty cool. The framework is modular kinda like a tent. Push a few buttons and it comes apart and all fits in a small duffle that came with the top. Easily fits in the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

zz29 and loudbang like this.
  16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Oh so true!! I was grinding out an old mount under the truck one day. The grinder caught/bucked and landed on my jewels. I rolled out from under and caught my breath again and inspected the damage. was 1/2 inch away from a 2nd circumcision.

6-bangertim, Slick34, clem and 2 others like this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I've got a large old Milwaukee electric 90 degree grinder that I keep a wire wheel on for derusting things. Its heavy and I usually end up working a little lower than my waist. It has grabbed the material on sweat pants and wrapped it up badly enough to tear the material. I was thankful it was off to the side rather than centered by my crotch. After that I put a permanent marker note on the housing as a warning to anyone using it. When the wire brush grabs, it jumps right at you........

I have another old gear drive 1/2 inch drill. I've had it for fifty years and it was old when I got it. Guarantee it will wrap your arms up like a pretzel if you aren't careful. The new breed of brushless drills will also surprise you. They are small but very powerful. Be careful where your teeth are in relation to the drill when using these little dynamos, they will surprise you if the drill bit bites too hard.

48fordnut, loudbang and cktasto like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Can you tell me more about "Rodtops" please?

loudbang likes this.
  19. donno

donno

My job gave me a set of "O" ring picks in 1960. Still use them.

61Cruiser and loudbang like this.
  20. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

rodtops.com here you are....luv that there are no exposed snaps...all snaps are inside, very clean look and fits nice and snug. 4F7B36AD-5EA2-47AE-8901-713D8B57D26F.jpeg

65pacecar, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I had a big drill that would shock the crap out of you, might use it for an hour and then all at once it'd light you up. I kept it for a long time to loan out to people that always wanted to borrow something. Had a lot of fun with that.

22. Country Joe

Country Joe

More fun with furniture leg bumpers..... Sometimes, a rubber mallet is too big to use in tight spaces. Just pop a bumper on a ball peen...

20200101_092449.jpg

23. impala4speed

impala4speed

That is so simple but an awesome idea. I would have never thought of that.

osage orange, zz29, Chavezk21 and 4 others like this.
  24. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

If your soaking parts for whatever reason get a fish tank bubbler. Run fish tank tubing into your bath and run the bubbler.

The bubbler keeps the liquid cleaning solution moving for a better quicker clean.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

This little tidbit was shown to me as a young teenager by my older brother. I think he knew that being under the Impala weekly, on my back reaching up at the highest nut on the rear axle, at night, after dinner, gets one a little off kilter. So he gave me a tidbit that actually works. When in doubt as to which way a nut screws on to a bolt, use the right hand rule.

“Stick out your thumb for the direction of the nut going on the bolt. Now, follow the curving fingers of the right hand to turn the wrench for tightening. The reverse is true by taking your thumb and pointing it away, follow the finger direction and out comes the nut.”

That sounded very basic and I said so to him. He laughed and said, after a million times of taking a nut off and on during a build, it gets a little blurry as it should be from rote memorization. But, sometimes the mind wanders off for the next problem to get straight and may forget which way the nut comes off or goes on to the bolt. He was right.

Under that Impala outside in the cold did tricks during that particular job. If I counted all of nuts and bolts I had to loosen or remove twice every week, it got real tedious. The brain starts to play tricks, so my brother’s idea works anywhere, for any job on a car, boat, home projects and simple toy repairs.

The first time, I was all pumped up to do a good job on the rear axle gear third member exchange from 4:11 to 4:56 ratio. They both had Positraction, so it was a matter of pulling one out and installing the complete 4:56 3rd member. It sounds easy and it was after I got used to it, but sometimes under that Impala on the cold concrete, sent shivers and confusion to my eyes if I stayed under a long time.

Not that it happens all of the time, but sometimes, in looking at the many bolts that needed to come off was a little thing that turned into a chore. Being upside down and reaching high up with the socket ratchet set for one way usually worked. But taking the little nuts off led to some confusion late at night. Did I say I was tired, too?
    upload_2020-1-3_4-59-11.png
    Jnaki

Thank you, James, for teaching me to slow down and use finesse instead of “gorilla” tactics. To this day, I use that “right hand rule” information on just about everything. Finesse, that just sounds right…it works, every time.
    upload_2020-1-3_4-59-29.png

26. I changed the 3:36 melon for a 4:11 melon on the family '58 Chevy a few times when I was in high school. Good times.

Phil

27. ..........Did you keep that a secret from your Dad?:D

loudbang likes this.
  28. Nope! They knew we went to the track every Sunday. Still have the trophies his car won for me.

Phil

ratrodrodder and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

just turn then inside out

6-bangertim, Nostrebor and loudbang like this.
  30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

GENIUS!!:D