Register now to get rid of these ads!

Little Red Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Bill Maverick's Little Red Wagon is on ebay. Bid at $150K and the reserve has NOT been met. Whoo!

2. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

And thats with only 1 bid!!

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Boy this takes me back to my teen years.

Oh to be young again!

[​IMG]

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If I remember right there's a program that's supposed to air on the History or Discovery channel some time soon. Last summer, or maybe the year before, the Little Red Wagon was at Byron Dragway in Byron Ill. and one of the cable channels was taping it for a program to air sometime? I never did see an air time for the program.:confused:

6. daddio

daddio

I got to talk with Jim Schaeffer about this car a couple of months ago. He's the one who helped build it before it was campaigned by Maverick. He told me it had a dual ignition setup on the 426. From what I understand he had it until very recently when he sold it to Bill who was suppposed to restore it in California.
    Daddio:cool:

7. krooser

krooser

During the late 80's I ran a couple dirt ovals in NE Wisconsin...Bill Golden had relatives in the area and usually came to visit during the summer when he had a lull in his schedule.

He came to the Friday nite races one week and I met him and shot the shit for a while. He asked me if I wanted him to bring the Little Red Wagon over next week for a little exibition. Sure!!!

Next week, true to his word, he brought it over and put it on display in front of the grandstand. Then he asked me if I wanted him to put on a little show during intermission...he went out onto the track a did a little figuring...fired up that old Hemi and headed for the pits. Now remember...this is a DIRT track. A few minutes later, here comes the Little Red Wagon down pit road (dirt)...he stabs the gas pedal, brings up the front wheels and does a wheelie down the front straightaway!!!! ON DIRT!!! Not once but two or three times!!!! Now THAT'S a showman....

8. Thanx for nothing, PJ. I saw this thing in my mid 20s. Time for my meds. I feel old now.

Same meds since then, by the way. ;-O

cp

9. aedan

aedan
    from ###

i wish

10. aedan

aedan
    from ###

11. raven

raven

I remember being a little kids around six or seven and the Little Red Wagon and the Hemi Underglass were making exhibition runs at tracks around the country. This was around '67 or so. Well the came to our town and my dad and I went to see them. I still remember my dad picking me up so I could look down the bed to see the Hemi. That was when you could walk right up to the pits and the cars in them.
    Good times.
    r

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Years ago I was in Kansas City and he was there doing his show. The vehicle was pretty rough but still was a hell of a show.

Your buying the image ,the truck is just the icing.

Someday if I can find a decent A100 I just may have to do a copy.

13. JamesG

JamesG

What happened to the No More eBay Post's Rule?

14. I think that was a class ad rule.

Its just a shame that the onl pics are old magazine pics and you can't actually see what you're buying. :rolleyes:

15. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I met him several years ago when he came through connecticut. He told me that he'd be at Limerock Park the next day and I told him I had to work. While running a lathe at work the next day I said to myself, "fuck this shit" and shut the lathe off, jumped in my car and drove over an hour to see him run. I no sooner pulled into the pits near where he was parked when up and fired the truck up. I couldn't have timed it better! That hemi roared. He then drove it over to the long straith away and did his thing. Man it was cool to see again after so many years. I'm so glad I left work that day.

16. 150K? I bet there's 50 people here who can build a wheel stander for 20k...a nice one. Come to think of it, I'm surprised someone hasn't.

17. I don't think it was wrong to post a thread about a historic car that nobody on here can afford. For entertainment value only.

Quit sniveling.

18. Hmmm...there are no current pic.'s of the truck in the listing, no info. on its mechanical or cosmetic state, etc.

I understand that there's huge historic value here, but I'd hate to pay one hundred and however many thousand dollars for a mechanically unsound, cosmetically whipped truck.

19. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

It seems to me that I remember seeing it at Don Garlits place in Florida several years ago. Could there have been several built for the exhibition circuit?

I will have to look thru my pictures at home to verify.

20. JamesG

JamesG

I'm not sniveling.

I almost posted that ad a couple of days ago, but thought better of it. I knew that I would have been flamed for it.

I was only making an observance.................

As you were....... [​IMG]

21. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I saw the LRW in ’67 at the Orange County Raceway. My dad bought me the glossy 8X10 souvenir photo; I wish I still had that photo. I was in 3rd grade.

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

The (stupid) money these old racers are bringing now just shows me how important they are to the history of the sport. You guys who saw the LRW run are so lucky to have been there during the golden age of drag racing - I was "busy" and missed so much...In the 90s, I did manage to spend some time with Bob Riggle at Indy running the Hemi Under Glass, but I never got to see the LRW doing its thing.....I do have some old home movies of it at a little track in Iowa - it must've made a dozen passes that day!

23. the roach

the roach

My ex girlfriends dad drove that thing ,Jay Howell!!

24. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I believe there were 3 LRWs built. Seems to me one was in Rockford IL just a few years ago, at a Mopar show. (As was the Hemi Under Glass.) Don't care what you think, it is still cool just to see them in person, and be around when they fire them up to load onto (in to?) the trailers. The Hemi Under Glass was in Rockford IL last weekend!

I think, most of the time, its worth a little effort to stop and check out any big time racer, be it drag, circle track or even monster truck, that may be making an apperance in your area. Just to get a chance to see something of national fame up close and personal can be an edicatation in itself. Sometimes they don't look so good in real life, some times the attension to detail is amazing.

As for this Ebay thing, do you suppose there is a chance of it being a con job? Gene

25. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I got to see the first one do it's thing around '65 at my uncles dragstrip. The track had a huge hill after the finish line to slow the cars down. He did a wheelstand right past the lights, dropped it down went up the hill, turned it around and did a wheelie back down the hill and stopped right at the finish line where I happened to be with a few other guys that were holding up the win light wires that ran over the top of the track with ladders so he wouldn't rip them down. He turned to us and said, how'd you like that wheelstand boys! Then he proceeded to do it again back down the track toward the starting line, turned it around found a helmet for my uncle strapped him in and ran it down the track again. The guy was a remarkable showman, and for people with money or a museum, that isn't a lot of loot for something that is known around the world, unlike the 3 million dollar Olds concept car that few people even knew existed.

26. JamesG

JamesG

Man that truck is about 25-30 from my house right up the freeway. I might have to go investigate. Maybe get some spyshots.............

27. bigron

bigron

i was at don garlit's place a year ago and it was there or was it a replica??

28. I think that only applied to you? :)

29. i wonder what they are really trying to sell... the auction clearly states that 1964 t0 1974 were hard years , with crashes and destroying trucks # 1 , # 2 , and #3....then #4 was built.....so by that , this was built no sooner than 1975

then in the personal note , it states that this little red wagon was built as a show car and a 2nd race car....so would this be #5 ???

what gets me , it also states several times in the auction to make sure you know what you are bidding on , and has the words original in quotation marks.....maybe to cover their ass?

i'm not sure what it is , but i believe it is a much later copy.