Register now to get rid of these ads!

little help. welding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pat Pryor, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

ok i want to hear some opinions. i plan on welding a 30s style shock mount ball on to the top of a forged spring perch, so i can mount my shock like a model A/32 so on and so on.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Forged-Spring-Perches,2081.html

now i dont care if it will hold the strain of the shock and break off, im worried if welding on the forged perch will weaken the perch to a point of being unsafe???

2. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

or dose anyone sell these badboys? like original ?

3. I would do it. Do you have a Tig?

4. Depends on the material. The Speedway link gives three options. Stainless Steel, Chrome or Black. No telling what material the chrome and black are. I would feel safer welding to the stainless especially if the ball is stainless, but not really an issue if it isn't, as long as you use the right filler material.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

If it truly is a forged piece, you've got nothing to worry about. Just let it cool slowly.

6. F&J

F&J

melted bicycles with just a hint of tin can ?

:confused:

...could be, you never know these days.

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Im no expert but I have talked with a friend about welding on forged parts and this is what I was told and do and it's what i do when I welded forged stuff.

Pre heat to around 600-650 deg weld with a high nickel rod I use 308 stainless rod then post heat to around 500-550 deg then I cover with a high tech cooling compound aka kitty litter over night you want them to cool as slow as you can

8. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Put the crack pipe down.

"becasue you don't care if it will hoold the strain"

glue it

JB weld it

kiss it, might be a long lasting relationship.

You serious?

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I think MAC's sells the ball/post. I would mill a shallow hole into the perch, press fit, and weld it. Absent poor weld I don't see it as a safety issue

10. Whitey is selling a set in the classifieds!!!

11. Fe26

Fe26

If you don't 'care' if the ball holds, why are you even contemplating doing this?

To answer your question re; heat affecting the integrity of the forging, the answer is no.
    The reason is; the material is likely to be a PCS (Plain Carbon Steel) and not an alloy. There would be no reason for the Perch Bolt to be Heat Treated so you won't interfere with that.

As others have said, use a little pre-heat, and slow cool in still air or dry sand or Kitty Litter. Your selection of weld material shouldn't be too critical if you are using a PCS. Obviously disimilar steel would warrant a more thoughful selection of weld material.

Whatever you choose to do, you don't want this weld to fail, some serious consequenses could come your way if this failed while you were driving.

12. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

13. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

guys got to calm down too many people always lookin for a fight. now if you look a little harder you will see i am trying to focus my question. i wouldnt weld it if i didnt want it to hold. i just want to make sure im not endangering my life and a broken shock mount aint gonna kill me but a perch might.

14. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

haha yea thats what im worried about

15. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

yes i do and yea im gonna do it

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you'll be fine. Good advice posted. Slow cool is the biggest deal. Pre-heating is for regular ol cast iron. I don't think too many suspension parts are straight cast iron. That would be just plain silly. Post some pics.