Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thanks, gentlemen! This thread is right on time in my world. After wanking about for decades with this project and that, I'm at a point in my life with enough time and cash flow to redo something - decently. I like what I call Anvil Technology - getting the most out of old cast iron. Souping the flatheads. I have some definite ideas about long stroke engines (gleaned from reading about Harley-Davidson engines as well as a bit of personal experience), and I think that the ones with solid bottom ends can probably be wound safely to 5000 RPMs. Let's discuss that elsewhere, and later.

The concepts in this thread tell us that it's more important to have measurable accomplishments while still having fun and going for a ride. No, our projects do not need to achieve perfection. And there is something attractive about a car that is obviously a work in progress that is also out and about. I like the basic premise: something that runs, that will steer and stop definitely and positively, that has its lights, glass and tires all in good serviceable condition, and that isn't a menace to navigation either for its occupants or the public at large. No one likes talking to the poepoe, either, or the fines that come with it.

In the last several weeks, a project or three have gelled in my head, and in my barn. Packard Clipper coupes. They look good, they're not ubiquitous, and they have some of the biggest anvil engines made. They still exist, parts can be had, and some of them don't cost one his first-born to acquire. Also, there is lots of room for innovation. That butts heads with the Restoration Boys, and for Packards, they seem to be everywhere. However, I'll do what I please. If they want to pay my bills, then they can tell me what to do. Otherwise, 'Murrika, damn it! My thoughts: modern brakes, good working systems, and a warm flathead straight 8. Super/turbocharging. There will be lots of fabrication, so I'll be learning and improving some skills along the way.

So, lately, I bought a '47 Clipper coupe with a '42 parts car. Also, I scored two eights - the cars are both sixes. The '47 is a super-solid body with most of its components present if neglected. It has most of its interior in presentable condition, which is surprising.. The engine needs help. The eights are going to be an issue to get them to fit, but along came this thread. The answer seems to be, put some effort into getting the six to be drivable, usable, and kinda presentable. To go out and have fun with it without its having to be a show-winner. Besides, those skills and the money to buy them likely exceed my abilities considerably, but that's another story.

So my discussions will be with you lot because you think outta the box and the other boys are more . . . rigid, shall we say. I shall do as this says: fix the engine because it needs it, upgrade the brakes because not stopping is not an option, rebuild the front end, and upgrade the glass. The tires are surprisingly new. The lights need work, and I may find some wiring glitches, but likely fixing those will be a matter of tracking down breaks and shorts and bad grounds. The parts car is too good, in spite of its extensive cancer, to be stripped and discarded, so it can be the long-term and more thorough project. Big eight, modern transmission, body off, and so on.

I've run on enough. I'll start some threads at some point. But I wanted to thank all of you for helping me to expand my thinking so I can, quite literally, get this show on the road . . . .

2. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  3. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I think you have a good plan. Just don't get carried away with any one stage of the build but at the same time don't neglect anything that has to be done simply because you are in a hurry.
    A running, driving Packard, well maintained would be super cool in primer or paint. Good luck

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  4. My Merc in my Avatar is Shiny because it Rained Otherwise it in
    Flat Black satin Prime & its been like that for the last 42 years and
    probably will be like that for the Rest of my or its live.
    Like everbody else said you get more looks at the Car in Prime
    than Paint which is True.
    also I put Radials on the Car & No white walls.
    In Building a Car my motto is Function determines the Form.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I don't know much about Packards - but - I know a little about old wiring. If the wiring has the old style insulation (woven fabric over rubber), the insulation may just crumble away - instant wiring fire.

If your wire insulation is still pliable, make the needed repairs and drive off with a big smile.

If your wire insulation crumbles when handled, you need a complete replacement wiring kit.

Russ

6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car, great thread. And timely for me. This validates the thinking I'm bringing to my new '29 pickup project, which I have jokingly called the Don't Overthink It Special. These projects are supposed to be fun to build and fun to use.

Just yesterday I was working on the truck in the driveway and up rolls a cherry '30 coupe. His wife had spotted my project while out walking and the two of them had driven over to talk about it. Told me he's had the coupe since 1970s high school, did a full restoration with really nice paint job about 5 years ago. And you know what he said? "I kinda had more fun with it when it wasn't so nice." Not the only guy I've heard that from.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    alanp561, SlamIam, ffr1222k and 6 others like this.
  7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hot Rod's have no rules.
    It is all about creativity, passion, desire and the end goal is fun.
    We are not to judge, but love, help and support one another.

Droopydogg, Driver50x and chessterd5 like this.
  8. I don't have many good pictures. Waiting to take it out of the workshop IMG-20210327-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20210322-WA0012.jpeg IMG-20210322-WA0002.jpeg IMG_20210202_133821492.jpeg IMG_20210202_133708093.jpeg IMG_20201004_153423984.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(8) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thanks for the wishes of good luck, and for this gem. See, this is the kind of stuff I need to hear because these (fires) are the kinds of things that I need to avoid like the plague.

I just checked the serial number on the 1951 engine I bought last month and discovered that it's the 9-main bearing model. Hell, I would have been happy with 5. Better than I had hoped.

The barn cat surveys her possessions and wants to know why her human is slacking:

Attached Files:

10. buckwild27

buckwild27

I feel like you have a better appreciation for the vehicle when you build it yourself then just buying it

11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Just beautiful!
    Did you make the turned bonnet yourself as well Sir?
    Does it have cycle fenders on the front as well?
    I'd also like to know the wheel base if you don't mind? I'm also guessing 1800 to 2000 lbs. It should really fly.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

The deal with the wiring is dead on. Bad wiring can ruin your day in a big hurry.

I generally buy newer donors, and the wiring is one of the things I use, if its better then what I have. I've discovered over the years that there are some really hacked up wiring harness. Buying a new wiring harness is one of those things unwanted or unneeded parts can fund.

Other wise, it sounds like you have a great plan.

The barn cat is probably right! Now is a great time to get started! Gene

chryslerfan55 and chessterd5 like this.
  13. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

It's a cat's job to be warm and friendly yet oh so condescending. Lol
    That clipper is in great shape from what I can see! I think you will be very happy with that. I know I would.
    Most straight 8s will have 9 bearings in general. A straight six usually has 7 main bearings. With some notable exception, I will let the experts comment on them. I think you will be happy with the 6 engine maybe more than the straight 8. The straight 6, generally speaking has some lovable qualities. The straight 8 is more about low speed smoothness a luxury car needed at the time. And it is Ohh so long. I had to do some modification to fit that 300 into my model t ford.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I just checked out your media album.
    You built the Lime Squeezer? I have a write up on the car in a magazine somewhere. Very nice work!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hey, I went and checked out your 29 truck. Very cool, I'll be watching. I also didn't know that you did the speedster in the weeds. I love the jungle photos in the beginning of the thread. Learned a lot!
    I hear you on the doors. I think your model a truck doors also fit 1926-27 t coupes. My coupe didn't come with doors. It was 6 pieces when I got it. When I found out how much they were going to cost, I just made my own. I'd love to have the real thing. You work with what the Good Lord gives you. And you are right, it's supposed to be fun!

ClarkH and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

20210403_153708.jpg
    One day I'm going to finish the sun visor.
    It's been bothering me for awhile now.
    I took the rear fenders off to paint them. It takes on a different personality when thier installed.

Attached Files:

17. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

20210405_174012.jpg
    Are these things traditional?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I reckon that they are if you say they are - on your car.

Been reading quite a bit. Turns out I can find some serious amounts of sheet metal. This would be for the worse car, Build #2. I think that will be more radical, and I'll know more by the time I get to it. This place has bent brake lines, wiring harnesses, and floor pans. Might as well go to 12v while I'm at it. Funny thing is, I found all that stuff while looking for a pair of front turn signal lenses.

Part of my issue is time, or lack of it. It would be really fascinating to scrounge, adapt, re-engineer and make all I need to build this thing. But I'm going to cheat and buy stuff and assemble it. I don't see my way clear otherwise. By any means necessary . . . .

19. Budget36

Budget36

I may have a spare set of stands for your head lights, not chromed though. You’d definitely need to modify them to put on T fenders as well. But they might be a good basis to build off of to even mount off the fenders.

20. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

It's not cheating to buy things.
    Although, I have seen average guys, with average billfolds get into trouble for three reasons.
    1. Keeping up with the Jones.
    2. Buying things before they really understand what they need.
    3. Not having a plan.
    And what I mean by this is do you really need a laser cut, billet, diamond encrusted, spare tire hanger cause your neighbors have one? Or you seen one in a magazine.
    I'm guilty of the second one. I needed some special spindle bolts to mount a steering arm to hook up my steering. I pulled a bolt, took it down to match it up, and ordered 9 bolts when I only need 3 because there is a minimum 25 dollar order. Came home happy, started to disassemble, and found out the bolt is a inch too long. I should have stopped and made certain what I needed before I ever left the house.
    The plan, what are you going to use the car for. That's the question to ask.
    Solid motor mounts, a 700 lift cam, and 112 racing fuel are great at the track not so much on the street. You wouldn't buy a smart car to pull a motor home? I hope this helps. I have learned some of these lessons the hard way.

Droopydogg, Spoggie, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  21. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Cool thanks! It does not have front fenders. Do I look like a guy who worries about chrome? My doors came from home depot. ( some assembly required ). Yeah I'd love to have them. How much do you want for them?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. Yeah, life's kind of that way! :rolleyes: :eek:

23. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

24. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Thank you very much. This thread and each of you have been a bit of an epiphany of what I want to do. The good news is, having two (almost identical) cars, I can do one in the spirit of what we're discussing here and learn some stuff for when I tie into the second one, which will be more of a hot rod kind of project. This car will be more of a ride-around type. It'll get warmed over and I'll figure out these old engines as I go. And with a somewhat more limited objective, I won't have to worry as much about burning out and having it lapse into Forever. And that will be a confidence booster.

I'm thinking for the engine: overbore the existing 6, port it a bit, a good valve job, mill the head a bit, perhaps a fabricated aluminum manifold and a larger carb, some kind of header arrangement, and maybe a turbo or supercharger. The first gets her going, and the second few things may never happen to this car, at least not soon.

It should all be fun, and ain't that what all of this is about anyway???

25. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Does the six cylinder run now?
    Did you say that you had two six cylinders?
    Have you rebuilt engines before?
    Here's what I would do, if it was mine.
    I would take the best car and the best engine to get running stock and make sure everything is mechanically sound.
    And just drive it!
    The second 6 cylinder, I would put on a stand and read everything I can about improving it. Before I did anything. Then I would I figure out my budget of what I want to spend. That will tell me realistically what I can buy and where to spend it. Just remember, what ever amount you determine add 500 to 1000 dollars to it because that's probably what you are really going to spend.
    Here's an example, that 300 engine of mine is totally stock. Single barrel carb and single exhaust. I'm happy with it. It makes about 90 hp and 220 ftlbs of torque to push a basically 2000 lbs vehicle. I could go buy a cnc ported head for it that will flow 210 cfm but costs 1400 dollars. Or I can port mine, myself for 75 dollars and some time and spend that 1400 dollars on a cam, valve springs, valve job, header, aluminum intake and 4 barrel carb.

Spoggie, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. I have always liked the stink bug look, nose down and ass up. :D HRP

Spoggie, loudbang and chessterd5 like this.
  27. phat rat

phat rat

It's pretty ignorant to blast nice cars as shop/pro built. Many very nice cars come out of backyard garages. My 41 has been in the winners circle at both Goodguys and NSRA. It's also been in Street Rodder and Rod & Custom magazines It was built 100% in a backyard garage. But if you don't like it that's fine because I DO
    My T is a different story but still home built.

28. rovertenrod

rovertenrod

All built and painted in my 2 car garage next to the house. Took 15 years though! No money so mostly if I can’t make it I can’t have it

Attached Files:

29. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I have two cars, almost identical. One is a '42 (in bad shape) and the other is a '47 (in much better shape). Both are sixes. Neither one runs. The report is on the '47, they had the engine running a few years ago, but it knocks. My guess is, it needs to be gone through, so there's that. The interior is fairly presentable save for a couple of mouse holes in the edges of the rear lazyback and the headliner is all but gone. I can live without one for awhile. So, the newer car is the immediate target.

I guess that I'm committed to the engine in the '47, so it can come apart and get massaged. I'm thinking, do the tasks in the block while it's down so that it doesn't have to be revisited later in case I upgrade some stuff. Clean up the bores, do a valve job (maybe increase the valve sizes if possible), clean up the ports, and balance things as much as possible. I've built a couple of engines, so this isn't a (complete) mystery to me. If the block is junk, I can try again with the '42 block. I also have two eights, but I'm not sure (yet) how to get an eight to fit short of a bunch of grinding and welding, which I'm not opposed to. That's the plan for the '42 car.

So, for the '47:
    1) engine - reasonably. Running, reasonably. It should produce what the factory rated it for, I reckon. (245+ CI, 105HP, 192FP)
    2) full brake rebuild - lines, too. Tires are good/newish. I was shocked, too.
    3) front suspension. With that and the engine out, I can clean up the front frame and paint it, and the engine bay, too.
    4) replace the two broken window glasses
    5) go through the wiring to get it functional and safe, replacing the brittle bits and making sure the lights all work, and the wipers.
    6) fuel tank and radiator - no leaks, function, and so on.
    7) sand and repaint the body. I'm thinking Rustoleum, assuming that they have a shade that I (mostly) like.
    8) general cleaning and such so it doesn't smell like a barn refugee. You don't have to smell like a refugee, yanno.

I think that hits most of the high points. At this stage in my life, I'm not particularly worried about the budget for a driver. A full restoration would be another discussion entirely.

30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't get over the fact that YOU BUILT those doors...they look great:cool::D